Ever have a weird premonition? (OP TMI)

This has happened a couple of times to me - once I was on a ski trip, and going up the chairlift said to a friend that I had a bad feeling something was going to happen to one of us that day. We skiied the run, and got to the bottom to discover that one of the girls from our group had just canned and managed to dislocate her knee and sprain her hip - was banana-boated off the slope.

A few years later, was walking home with my partner, and told him I had this wierd feeling my sister was pregnant. That day, or a couple of days later. she rang me, and said she had some news - I told her she was pregnant, which to her complete shock, was what she had run to tell me. (BTW, it was unplanned, so I had no reason to suspect anything).

Most years I seem to dream about the winner of the Melbourne Cup too - I should really put some money down one of these days!

My mom used to do this often. At the doctor’s office where she worked, she would, out of the blue, say, “We haven’t heard from such-and-such patient in a while.” Within minutes, said person would either call in unexpectedly or just stroll through the door without an appointment.

To the Op - All the time. :slight_smile:

It’s called being in touch, listening to synchronisity and understanding your gut feelings. That’s about as scientific as I can put it :wink:

This was probably pure coincidence, but a few years ago I had a dream about a family friend that I hadn’t thought of in years. In my dream, I was working in a hotel where she showed up. I gave her a key to a room.

The next morning I told my mom about this dream. She laughed and joked about how Koreans believe that if you have a dream about giving something to someone, that meant that “someone” was pregnant, and the object you gave them was a sign of whether the baby was a boy or a girl. Little trinkets like keys and gems were female - beasts were considered male.

A few months later, we heard from the family friend. She was several months pregnant with a baby girl.

I think I’ve done the thing when you’re thinking about someone and the phone rings and it’s that person calling.

The premonitiony thing I remember most is from several years ago. I was at my boyfriends and we were going to be going somewhere, I went in to take a shower and he went to the kitchen. I was in the shower by myself and got a sudden feeling that something was going to happen and that we would not be together much longer. It was such an overwhelming feeling that I started to cry. I almost wanted to cancel our plans as well. We ended up going anyway and we ran into an old girlfriend of his who had recently moved to town. Well, long story short, she ended up pursuing him until she broke us up a few months later.
After a while he and I saw each other as friends and then got back together as a couple so I guess my premonition wasn’t completely true.

Not me - but in 1993, a 19 year old was riding in his friend’s car one Friday evening. He was unbuckled. A little voice in his head said "hey, we’re getting to a wind-y stretch of the road, better buckle up.

He listened to it.

Which is why he was able to tell us about it, after his friend lost control on a curve (it had rained earlier and the road was slick) and hit our car head-on.

I know I’ve told that story before on this board. There’s no better rush than to look at the crumpled wrecks of two cars and realize that you are ALIVE!!!

Two leap to mind.
In 1970 I had just graduated high school, and took a vacation by myself driving up the coast to Eureka Ca. I had checked into a motel on Friday. I was planning to go check out Humboldt State over the weekend. On Saturday at 7:15 I awoke with a start and a terrible feeling of dread. Somebody was in trouble. I tried to go to sleep and could not. I called home and several of my friends asking if everything was OK, and everybody was fine.
I was so shook, I cut my stay short and started driving south. I made it to SF that day (snow for a good part of the trip) and LA the next day.
Everybody I checked in with was fine.
Two weeks later, I was driving near my school, and passed near where a girl I knew fairly casually lived. I decided to stop. I went to the door, and her mom came to the door, I asked for her, and I was told she would see if her daughter was up to a visit. Huh? :confused:
MY friend was so after she walked very slowly and hesitantly into the room she told me she had lost control of her car in the rain on a freeway, and had smacked a light pole. She said she was laying on the seat, with rain falling on her face and thought she was going to die. She said that then she got a peaceful feeling and knew that everyting was going to be OK.
I asked her when the accident happened. You guessed it 7:15AM on that Saturday. :eek: She had been released from the hospital the day before I came to visit.
I told her what happened to me, and I don’t think she believed me, but I swear it was true. The really strange part was we were never that close, just classmates.

Mama Zappa’s story reminds me of the other one. It was 1971 in the fall, and I was driving up though the mountains east of Chico California. My best buddy was in the car. As we are bombing up the road at extreme speed he says, “You might want to slow down, there could be ice in some of these shady parts.” Before I could say bullshit, the car was sideways at 50mph in a tight corner. :eek:
I got it straightened out, turned to him and said, “So just how did you know that that was the icy corner?” (It was the only icy patch in 26 miles of driving that day)

These are always my favourite threads.

Not a real premonition but I just had a weird coincidence occur not 10 minutes ago, so came looking for the thread!

Sitting here browsing the Dope with my lamp on, that’s always on while I sleep and at night - a little red Ikea lamp that takes some strange Ikea light bulb - I thought, “That lamp has such a weird bulb. I wonder if it’s the kind that lasts for years? Or is it just about due to go out? I wonder if I even know where the other bulb is?”

About two minutes later, I heard a pop and a hiss. I looked over and it had burnt out, probably about two minutes after I had the thought.

This happens frequently-I thought about an undergraduate professor I had…many years ago. That same day, I saw his obituary in the local paper. Weird!

Five years ago, I had a dream about this girl I knew in my freshman year of high school, whom I had dropped out of contact with completely when she went back to her home country. In the dream, I was in bed, and she walked out of the closet door, knelt at the bedside and whispered ‘goodbye’ into my ear, then told me to look after her brother, whose name sounded something like ‘Ikarus’. Then I woke up.

A few months later, I received news that she committed suicide. She was survived by her mother, and her younger brother, named Niklas. Freaked me out like nothing else.

I get the dreaming of blood or red things before my period too. I have mirena too, so it’s more like a day of spotting once in a blue moon, but I still get the warning dreams.

I’ve “known” a patient was pregnant, even though she was at the clinic for something completely different wasn’t complaining of any symptoms. I’m sure it was some sort of subconscous interpretation of something she said or did or how she looked, but it was really weird to say “humour me, take a pregnancy test before I examine you” and have it come up positive. At least she was pleased!

Generally I’m fairly oblivious to things.

Not to me but my cousin.

My cousin woke from a vivid dream. I guess it was disturbingly vivid because she told my aunt, her mother, about it. Her daughter was there, too, and both remember this conversation so there’s a bit of confirmation, I suppose.

She dreamed about her deceased paternal grandparents, having a conversation with them. When their conversation was over, she said good-bye to them. They deferred with something like, “That’s OK. We’ll see you in July”. It disturbed my cousin enough to talk with her mother about it, obviously.

In July, my cousin died in an accident with a dump truck. I posted about it here.