ever have trouble with your appendix?

My right abdomen has bene bothering me for 6 months now.
It feels sore if I touch it in a certain spot.
Someone told me this means its your appendix.
I had my doctor check it in March, he said it felt fine, maybe it was irritated.
SHould I worry?
(I can’t see my doctor again til my medical card come sin the mail)

I might add that its sore about 3 inches below my navel, pretty much toward the middle, not far right.

First off: don’t take medical advice over a message board. Go see a doctor. See another one, if the first one doesn’t satisfy you.

Secondly, and this is with no medical training whatsoever that I say this: I don’t think your appendix can hurt for six months. Isn’t appendicitis a very rapidly occurring thing that needs treatment straightaway?

Echoing Clogfire, consult a physician. When my appendix went south I went from feeling fine to extreme pain in the course of about a minute. The kind of pain where it hurts to have someone stand near you. Emergency surgery is the ticket. I’ve had two friends who’ve had emergency appendectomies as well. Both of them had similar all-of-a-sudden-total-pain experiences.

Good luck!

What do you do if your Table of contents starts to act up? How about your concordance?

I had an emergency appendectomy when I was about six, but it turned out my appendix was fine, it was a swollen lymph node causing my symptoms. That might also be behind your symptoms; the pain certainly doesn’t seem to be in the right place for appendicitis.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV.

Get thee to a thesaurus!

Well, there is such a thing as chronic apendicits - I should know, I have it.

Basically, every 5 years or so, I start vomiting, develop a high fever, feel like crap, get RLQ pain, etc. etc. However, none of it is severe enough to warant the risk of a general, and it basically goes away after a day or two.

I have to watch the flare ups, in case it decides to go for real, but that’s about her.

However, I certainly don’t have constant pain for months at a time - I sould suggest getting that checked out by and MD - pronto.

IANAD blah blah blah, but let me tell you MY story. Are you comfy? Have your cup of hot chocolate?

Since I was 18 I had been having episodes of nausea, dizziness and migraines. Not all the time, but enough to make me worried. I went to a number of doctors and homeopaths, but nothing worked. Then two days after my 20th birthday, I had unbelievable pains in my abdomen. I went to the emergency department where they gave me an examination and a pregnancy test (which was negative).

The doctor said it could be appendicitis, an ovarian cyst or something else which I’ve forgotten now. He said they would open me up and take out my appendix, and if it looked OK then they would check for a cyst (!). By that stage I was happy to go along with anything he suggested.

They took out my appendix, and apparently it was ready to burst. They had to make the incision twice as long as normal in order to get the whole thing out. And after that, the nausea, dizziness and migraines stopped (until I got pregnant, anyway). And that’s the end of the story.

The moral? Your appendix CAN take a long time to get bad enough that you rush yourself to the hospital. And the pain when its that bad isn’t necessarily limited to your lower right abdomen. And it can cause a lot of symptoms in the meantime. So get thee to a different doctor. Because pain isn’t normal anyway, so if it isn’t your appendix, then you still have something weird happening to your body.

On a serious note, my son had what we thought was an attack of appendicitis when he was 11. Took him to emergency. They showed no elevated white count, no fever, just intense pain. They said perhaps the lymph node thingy.

At age 12, he went in again one night. Same result.

At age 14, he went in one night. Slight elevated white count. Slight fever. Intense pain. They took it out. It was diseased and esentially shot.

Sooooo, it possibly/probably was his appendix all along, just that it didn’t rupture and need taking out immediately. But don’t discount the lymph node thing.

I’d sure as hell hate to be a doctor trying to figure out something less than a burst appendix.

samclem, that’s one reason why I didn’t flinch when the doctors said “We think its your appendix, so we’ll take it out and if its still healthy we’ll move to plan B”. As long as they figure out WHAT’S WRONG, I didn’t really mind what they did (I was in a lot of pain, too). I didn’t need my appendix anyway.

Well, its not constant pain. Its once in a while stuff, not bad pain, certainly not as bad as period pain.
Its in the same area, a small spot, which if hit lightly in the exact right spot, hurts.
He is a good doctor, and he said it felt fine in March.
I asked him what was in that general area, and he said nothing, just intestines.
Theres no nausea or vomiting at all.
I will be seeing him Wednesday.

In 7th grade math class I had fallen out of my seat moaning when I felt sharp pangs of excrutiating pain. My bitch of a math teacher thought I was faking and told me to get up, despite repeated pleas to let me go to the nurse. I spent the remainder of the class moaning in pain, all the while she thought I was faking. Finally, class ended and (thankfully) two friends helped me to the nurse’s office. I was promptly shipped off to Hartford Hospital to have my appendix removed.

I think you might just have pulled a muscle or something, even though 6 months sounds long. IANAD, but I watch a lot of ER.