Ever known someone who didn't know they were pregnant until labor?

Seems like I read somewhere that there is a certain condition (placenta previa, maybe?) that makes it difficult to feel the baby moving.

Personally, I can’t imagine. I always knew when I was pregnant, just because I felt WEIRD. Five pregnancies, and four were detected between 4-6 weeks. One of them was my “WTF, negative test, was actually pregnant and didn’t realize it until I was nearly 4 months along” baby. When I felt those first fluttery squiggles, I knew right away that there’d been a mistake, I’d been lied to by the pg test.

Besides accusing me of sleight of hand tricks to make a newborn infant appear suddenly between their thighs? “That’s not my baby! I didn’t have no baby! YOU put it there!” were the precise quotes.

So, not real well.

:cool:

Having a placenta in the front wall of the uterus. I had that with my daughter, and didn’t feel nearly as much movement as many women apparently feel. On ultrasounds she would be squirming and kicking to beat the band, and I couldn’t tell.

Having said that, there were times when she’d hit me somewhere and I would feel it, times she pummeled me hard enough to make a quarter placed on my belly bounce, and times she wedged herself into one side and put me off-kilter. It wasn’t a total, 100%, can’t-feel-her situation.

You may enjoy the prologue to episode 425 of This American Life where they interview one of the women from the show I didn’t know I was Pregnant. She sounded like she handled it surprisingly well.

I know a woman who found out she was pregnant when she miscarried at about 4 months gestation.

She was in her early 50s, and (mostly) a lesbian. She’d had a bit of fun over Christmas with an old boyfriend from high school.

She had a sort of emotional breakdown after that, she actually didn’t pull out of it until she ran a birth and death announcement and had a funeral for her child. The father of the child actually ended up moving back to his old home town and they live together as the best of friends.

The experience changed her, and indeed her whole life.