Every issue of [American music magazine] Spin at Google Books

http://books.google.com/books/serial/N0HASap-qBoC?rview=1

OK, so what is Spin? Why should we care? Is this news?

It’s news for me, a periodicals librarian, who just forwarded it onto her colleagues. What’s your problem?

Ha, I’m a librarian too (although not a serials librarian) and I was just thinking “This is fantastic, we’ve already got access to Rolling Stone through our subscription databases but Spin is only indexed!”

Every issue of Spin at Google Books what?

Oh, for crying out loud, people. Spin is a music magazine. Google Books now has every issue of said magazine available for online perusal. Very useful and cool if you have any interest in this magazine.

Thank you for this news!

It seems like I run across a favorite magazine being hosted there every day. For instance, I found that Billboard is now there. This is the very expensive, tabloid size, weekly magazine of the recording industry. I can’t imagine the problems a library would have in keeping old copies. Now, the entire history of American Pop music is fully indexed and available.

Anyone who is not excited about this trend has never had to do any significant research. For instance, I was researching music to add references to Wikipedia. The Chicago public library has bound issues of Creem, Circus and Trouser Press - and I had to leaf through every single page to find the info.

This is big.

If only there were a link somewhere you could click to see what it is…

If only the OP, who already knows, could be bothered to give a brief description.

The title of the thread was a perfectly clear explanation. I suppose it helped that I already knew that “Spin” was a magazine, but from context (“every issue”) I think it was pretty obvious.

Inadequate thread titles is a pet peeve of mine, so I’m a bit peeved at myself to see that apparently I made one that some felt was not descriptive enough. Obviously I felt it was descriptive enough, so I’d appreciate some clarification as to what you feel what missing.

Do you think the word “magazine” needed to have been explicitly used, and the reference of them being “issues” was inadequate to convey that it was magazines being linked to?

I suppose mentioning explicitly that it’s a magazine on (pop?) music or the music business in general or whatever would help. It’s not the title, which is fine, but the lack of descriptive text in the OP. Not everyone here has ever read Spin (I haven’t).

I have never opened a single issue of Spin. If you asked me to quick name 100 magazines for a billion dollars, I might not think of it.

But I could tell from the OP’s relatively adequate thread title, that it was a magazine. And from the name either about “records” or “Tilt-A-Whirls” or “Centrifugal Force” (but that’s more of a farce than a force…)

And I also assumed that if I didn’t care about it, I could ignore it… or, even if I’d opened the thread and thought “Oh, it’s a magazine… big whoop.”, I could go about my day with no harm done.

The thread title was adequate, but the first post wasn’t. As a general rule, a single link is never enough content for a post: Say why you think the link is interesting or exciting or worth sharing.

Hopefully the other US music magazines will allow Google to scan and host their old issues. The only reason I could imagine they would not is whatever relative pittance they get from selling back issues. But, personally, I’d be more likely to buy a back issue, just to have a hard copy, if I knew the information that is in it. For instance, I’m a huge Todd Rundgren fan. Two issues of Spin had reviews of his albums - one good, one bad. I’d be pissed if I had spent a lot of money buying a back issue to get a review and got the bad one. Searching, I found an interview of Todd done by Dana Carvey and Hal Wilner that I never knew existed.

Are you listening, Rolling Stone, Creem, Crawdaddy, Trouser Press and Circus?

I’d prefer not to have to open a thread, or even flyover, to find out what it’s about, so I have asked the mods to rename the title to indicate that Spin is an American music magazine.

And I have done so.

I do think, however, that this is a good example of why we prefer that people use descriptive titles plus add some explanatory text to the OP so people have some idea about why they might – or might not – want to click on a link.

twickster, Cafe Society moderator

What I find especially interesting about this is that they’ve included every page of every issue, including advertisements. So this could be useful not only to people who want to read old music reviews, but marketing or communication students who are interested in old ads.

I agree, the ads are often very interesting to see. Check out some of the ones in Popular Science, also archived by Google, from 137 years back! Popular Science Homepage | Popular Science

Thank you so much for this news – this makes me irrationally happy. I’m supposed to be looking for a job right now buuuuuut guess what I’ll be doing for the next few days. :slight_smile:

I love reading all the reviews in the back, now that time has past and you can see how the artists have fared in the interim. I used to have a huge box of music zines I had saved from high school/college (early-late 1990s) and it was interesting to read through them and find a review of, say, Radiohead’s “Pablo Honey,” in which they were derided for being trite one-hit wonders. O ho!