Every Know Anyone Who Takes A Really Good Picture But In Real Life...Well

He’s photogenic. I met met a ton of people who look terrible in pictures but better in real life. I look much better in real-life than in pictures.

:confused:

It’s a funny. Well, at least I found it amusing.

Also, never underestimate the power of makeup, flattering outfits, and/or fake hair to make a person look great in pictures. I’ve been watching some episodes of Toddlers and Tiaras this week, and those kids almost universally look either flat-out ugly or very, very plain without their beauty accoutrements.

I have to say I think she looks like a scary monster both in candids and with loads of Photoshop, but to each their own.

I was thinking more of a model like Lara Stone, who is never quite normal looking but has her own beauty and is a compelling model. She looks much less model-esque to me, in candids. Usually quite plain, facially. P.S. Do not google her name at work, her boobs are always out. Definitely worth checking them out at home.

While someone with a face like Magdalena Frankiowick could never be mistaken for anything buta model, no matter the photograph.‘Bad angle’ does not apply.

I am not competing with him in any manner. I know some people look much better in person than in photos. But outside of this guy I’ve never seen someone that is average and looks so darn good in a photo.

I was just wondering if there’s anything in cameras and the translation from a 3-d to 2-d image that could account for it.

I mean you look at his photos and say “Damn you are really handsome,” and then look at him and are like “Wait a minute…”

It’s like that episode of Seinfeld where Jerry’s girlfriend was gorgeous one minute and then ugly the next.

Heh, remember the “good light/bad light” girl from Seinfeld?

Or even Chandler from Friends, or Earl from My Name Is Earl?

Must happen fairly often or it wouldn’t pop up so much in sitcoms.

My Mother’s best and oldest friend. They’re both in their mid 80’s now, and have been best pals since they were SIX. I’ve known Mildred all my life, and I was probably in my late teens when I first noticed the disparity- when she was a young woman she was a knockout in photos, really good-looking, but in real life she was “merely” ordinary.

By the time she was in her 40’s she still photographed as kind of cute/pretty, but in the flesh she was definitely homely. (It’s not just me, by the way; my Mom has always been aware of it, and my wife sees it too.)

My simple observation is that Mildred’s parts come together nicely in a two-dimensional image, but not in live 3-D.

Of course, she’s been like an Aunt to me since Day One, and I couldn’t care less about her appearance.

I’m agreeing with the folks who think it’s angles that go into 2D well but don’t show up well in 3D. I also think it can have to do with one’s weight-- if you’re a certain kind of pudgy, there are going to be poses where you look just fantastic, and any hotness you’re projecting comes right through, and there are going to be other poses where if you try to look like you know you’re hot, you just look deluded.

That’s my theory. I’m dating a guy who is super-plain in real life, but in pictures he looks fantastic-- to the point that he went out on a date with a woman who’d only seen a picture of him (a picture taken a month before) and she told him that he was obviously MUCH heavier and in worse health and she wasn’t interested in dating him. (Unfortunately, “And you’re much bitchier than I expected too” didn’t occur to him until afterwards.) He wasn’t any different than he’d been a month before, it was just the picture.

Also, he has an adult daughter who resembles him a lot, and she’s also cuter in pictures (but she’s pretty cute in person, too.)

My story involves an actual celebrity —Cheryl Ladd. When I met her I thought she was cute but I was a little surprised at how ordinary she looked. Just your average nice-looking woman. I took her picture and was amazed. She became CHERYL LADD in those photos! She didn’t pose a lot; the lighting was natural outdoor light and I was shooting black and white. So it was all her. Of course in her case she looks great on video as well.

Yes. I actually said that in the post right above yours.

I used to go out with a model who was average to actually ugly in the flesh, but came out great in photos. I actually didn’t believe the model story until I saw the pictures, it was that much of a difference. I also used to work in a print shop where a lot of young/starting out models would come in. Most of them were nothing special at all, you wouldn’t look twice at them, but their portfolios were amazing. It happens a lot.

I used to know a model. Her picture was on the cover of Paris Vogue in the '70s (if anyone remembers the Benson and Hedges ad with the girl holding a cigarette between her two forefingers in front of her eyes, that’s her.)
She was quite plain looking in person. Her face was very flat, so she was a “canvas” for makeup.