Every time I see Ruth Bader Ginsburg's name in the news, I am scared.

She fell and broke 3 ribs and is in the hospital. I hope for a full and speedy recovery. She is 85 but actually in very good health otherwise.

Please don’t retire until the next President is sworn in at least. Give us 2 more years and 2 more months.

I’m sure that she won’t retire during this administration.

I don’t know whether she still keeps it, but it wasn’t THAT long ago that I read about her organized and long-term effort to stay in good physical condition. Whatever the positive effects of such a plan are, she’s experiencing them.

They need to put her on pre-emptive life support!

The trouble is that it will be almost impossible for the Dems to take control of the senate in 2020 so even if they manage to defeat Trump, they will still not be able to appoint supreme court justices.

I expect that the current supreme court will possibly strike down ACA. One more Trump appointee and they could kill medicare, medicaid and even social security.

My understanding is she was still doing it. I saw something on it recently.

For some reason, I don’t think the Founders intended the SCOTUS to be so powerful that people would be scared of them dying.

Broken ribs suck when you are young and healthy. I can’t imagine how much they suck when you’re over 80. :eek:

Are they sure she wasn’t pushed? Where was Trump when it happened?

The report I read was that she fell, got up and went to bed. The next morning she didn’t feel well so she called the Supreme Court police and asked to be brought to the hospital.

Are you telling me she lives ALONE??? Without any kind of caregiver present. She’s not just 85 yo and not in the best of health, but she’s a Supreme Court Justice. I don’t care how much she protests and tells everyone she’s “fine”, she should have a 24/7 caregiver nearby.

Mod Hat On

Not appropriate for this forum.

Mentally competent, able-bodied-for-her-age adult citizen = It’s her call. Plus I don’t think the Court’s budget allows for an appropriation for mandated assisted living for its members.

But Hilarious! :smiley:

I’m still laughing.

I told my wife that after the next few years with RBG, the younger generations will think “Weekend at Bernie’s” was a documentary.

Just imagine if, after all this, it’s actually Breyer who exits stage left.

He has to gives us another 2 years and 2 months too.

I think that both she and Breyer should scale back their workload in their old age, maybe start a boutique law firm working one or two days a week…and hire Kagan and Sotomayor to run the firm the rest of the week.

A lot of people her age utterly refuse to give in to the thought that they’re not as capable of taking care of themselves as they were 50 years ago. And it’s not like anyone can force her to have a caregiver against her will. She doesn’t strike as the type to meekly agree with what other people tell her is “best” for her.

She’s home and doing well. She plans to work from home today.

Marshall was not looking too mobile by the mid 80s.

But that is true, there is nowhere contemplated for a seat to be vacated due to incapacitation and it would take a XXV-Amendment-style constitutional provision to create the process. And as long as the Justice is mentally alert they can keep at it even if in Stephen Hawking mode.