Everyone Hates Teenagers!

You damn kids! You don’t know how good you have it! Belts that go around your waist! Pants that go … the … googily moogily …

You damn kids!

Agreed!

Well, I don’t have any problem with the way you wear your hat or your pants or the way you shuffle down the street. I probably don’t like your loud music, but then, I never liked playing music REALLY LOUD even when I was a teen.

However,

I have a teenage daughter and a refrigerator with not quite enough food in it.

Gedoudahere!

Heck, when I was a teenage girl I was afraid of teenage boys like you!
It seemed like there were either thoughts about my friends or me that were a little…scary, or we were getting teased. There were very, very few boys who one could just hang out with as friends.

Now as an adult, I guess the old thinking is hanging on - I’m still a bit intimidated by teenage boys.

Actually, some of your teachers don’t like you much either.

To be more precise, we don’t like some teenagers because they can be nasty little assholes, when they’re not being self-centered vacuous lumps of willful ignorance. This pisses me off because I know first hand how amazing some teens can be and resent that good kids are getting the fuzzy end of the lollipop thanks to the relatively few rotten teens out there. But such is life, and it certainly beats the alternative.
And for god’s sake you don’t have to use the entire bottle of cologne at once. Do rampaging hormones short circuit the olfactory center of your brains?

Stole my line, ya bastard.

Hee hee! And that’s Miz Bitch to you!

Woof!

I have to wonder if whether this is all your imagination, or if your behavior warrants it.

I took my son (granted, no longer a teenager, but a young-looking 20) and his girlfriend to lunch. We were across the street from the high school. There was a table of 3 teens (well, actually, THREE tables - I guess it’s no longer cool to sit with your friends, you have to sit scattered about and then shout to each other). They were disruptive and loud, with phones and radios blasting. The other people grumbling weren’t bitching about “the teenagers”, they were bitching about “those kids over there”. My son and his girlfriend weren’t getting any “looks” or “shit” because their behavior didn’t warrant it.

Young males are, by far, the demographic most likely to take part in anti-social behavior (vandalism, theft, assault, etc.).

I’m just sayin’. . .

To clarify, I’m not really the typical teenage boy. I have a 4.1 GPA in school, I volunteer at the local hospital, and I work in the intensive services branch of a mental health center. I don’t sag my pants (I do, compared to my dad, but not halfway down my ass), I rarely play ridiculously loud music, and I don’t give unwarranted grief to authority figures just because they’re authority figures. My teachers all like me (as far as I know), my French teacher would adopt me if she had the chance, and by all accounts I’m a good kid.

That said, I still get the dirty looks and unwarranted prejudice associated with being a male aged 13-19.

Look, there are two options: either the teenagers are the problem, or everyone else is the problem. We (the grumpy old folks) outnumber you, so by Occam’s Razor, YOU (damn kids) are the problem. So straighten up and fly right, mister!

Or maybe it’s honestly neither. (Not to pick on you, but I hate False Dilemmas.)

Well, that’s something of an exceptional case. Those kids were asses and your son and girlfriend were pieces of the background. But more than a few people see a few teenaged jackasses and assume all teenagers are jackasses.

(The really dumb ones assume all jackasses are teenagers.)

I call bullshit. I wear jeans damn near every day. If I had to hitch them up every minute or so, it would not be comfortable in any way. Sorry, but every kid (god, I’m still in my 20s…) wearing baggy jeans is doing it for one reason, and that’s because all the other kids are doing it.

I don’t say that I didn’t do similar things (shuddering at the thought of acid washed jeans), but I didn’t hide behind “comfort”. I was weak minded, and I knew it. The cool hair bands on MTV (you know, back when they played videos) were wearing acid wash, so dammit, so was I.

Maybe it’s because you have a spelling error in your username? That’s certainly why I am constantly glaring at you and giving you dirty looks and following you around the dope to make sure you don’t steal threads and stuff.

Yeah, I love it when teenagers “express their individuality”… just like all their friends. :wink:

(In fact, teens don’t have a monopoly on that sort of thing…)

For me, it’s mostly about the noise. It doesn’t end with teens either. Seems that almost any grouping of young males will be excessively noisy. You don’t have to shout every thought you have. The god damned freak is a mere two feet from you. He can hear you even if you speak in a normal tone of voice at a reasonable volume. So can the guy next to him. And the two right behind you. No need to shout.

Doesn’t appear to make a difference if the people involved are troublemakers, or well behaved otherwise.

Examples:

At the beach: “Oh man, did you see that!?! That was SO funny!”

At the mall: “Hey! Look at that!! That is SO funny!”

In a restaurant: “HEY! Did you hear what I just said!?! I was SO funny!”

In a movie: “HA HA!!! That is SO funny! [repeats line we all just heard] Man! That REALLY was funny!”

Just about any other public venue: “Blah! Blah! Blah! SO funny!”
Notice that many other intelligent conversations are going on around you at a reasonable volume. Some aren’t talking at all, simply enjoying the movie, surf, sun, shopping, etc… And some incredibly vapid conversations are being held, too. At a reasonable volume.

Okay, I’ll admit it’s not 100% of groups of young men being so fucking loud. But, virtually any time I see a group of people, older than young children, saying everything at the highest level their lungs can give them, it’s made of young men.

Obviously, cussing doesn’t bother me. And many youngsters (in fact, a fair percentage of the general population, too) appear to be a little afraid of me. Doesn’t bother me. The noise of you guys does, tho. Hell, I’ve even been known to make my feelings quite overwhelmingly public concerning this. When appropriate. But, don’t be afraid of me for doing that. Just calm the fuck down, lower your voice.

The funny thing is that you have no fucking clue that you are 15 years old. I don’t care how self-aware you are. When you’re 20 and 25, you will realize what a stupid cock you were at 15. Then you will understand why people looked at you funny.

People try to put us d-d-down…

Yeah. I was going to say, that we look at you and think “Wow, I was such an ass when I was that age.” And, it’s a bit frustrating, because I know that you aren’t able to look at me and realize that you’re going to be JUST LIKE ME some day.

BWA HA HA HA! I was cool once! Now look at me!

I find the backwards-hat-wearers a source of amusement because they have no clue that the trend started with the gay community as a way to identify each other. :smiley: