Excessively Fast Residential Internet Options

It appears to be time to part ways with my current ISP (Rogers Cable), who for the last year or so has been providing us with $100/month heavy-duty cable-internet that could consistently hit speeds of 19Megabits/sec (err 1900KB/sec or just under two megabytes a sec, basically 4x the speed of traditional cable/dsl). We’re fedup with a few parts of the service (unexplained dropouts) and the fact that they’ve left a temp-cable running through our garden all summer, but I digress:

I don’t like the primary competitor, the national telco and their dsl offering, more to the point, apparently the phone hardware/lines in this nieghborhood are old and can’t support DSL2 (basically we can’t get fast dsl but we could get 500K/sec).

So I was wondering what outside-the-box solutions might be out there for ‘small-business’ internet solutions. My preference would be to pay $250/month or less, but we’re open minded (but don’t bother recommending OC48s please!) if the product was right. What technology might be available in a quasi-suburban (12 min drive from downtown, but far enough that fat fibre pipes typically aint up here) neighborhood? Oh and obviously I need something atleast as fast if not faster than my current 2000KB/sec rates.

muchos gracias!

I happen to work for a Toronto-based ISP, so am uniquely suited to answer your questions. :slight_smile: Since the lines in your area, as you say, can’t support ADSL2, no DSL provider will be able to serve you a decent speed - and every DSL provider (except, in some cases, my employer) will be going through Bell’s equipment in any case. If Bell can’t do it, no one can.

Your best bet, really, is to stick with Rogers. WiMAX in Canada is unproven technology - there was a beta test of it going on in Hamilton for a while and the reality did not live up to the promises in terms of coverage - a lot of dead spots in places that should have had decent signal. I don’t know about satellite services providers in Ontario, but the last time I kept up with that particular technology it carried a lot of latency issues and upload was dependant on dialup rather than a broadband connection. This may or may not have changed, I don’t know. Unfortunately Rogers has a monopoly on cable service in the GTA, so you may be stuck. :frowning:

Is Fios available in your area?

Edit: Nevermind, didn’t see location

I can only say do not consider satellite ISPs. My personal experience is with HughesNet, although a friend with WildBlue tells me they’re pretty much the same. The biggest issues:

1. They have serious latency issues. When doing anything live (videoconferencing, live chats, MMORPGs, etc.), I frequently experience latencies of over a second.

2. They have a maximum amount you can download in a given amount of time (it varies based on provider and how much you pay). If all three of our Macs download big OS updates on the same day, or I buy a bunch of music from iTunes the same day my son does, we’re “throttled back” to sub-dialup speeds for a day.

3. The upload speed is dramatically lower than the download speed. As a writer, I work with a lot of large documents, and they take forever to send out from home.

ETA: Being in Toronto, the latency would be even worse for you because of the higher latitude. Stay away from satellite Internet.

I had always just kinda assumed that there were products marketed towards small-to-medium businesses, but i suppose that the wires that support those options are typically run in financial cores and not residential areas.

Obviously not quite what I need but how to T3 lines work, can’t they be setup anywhere? If so, are there not modern alternatives that work on similar principles?

1900KB/s* is actually a little over 15Mbit/s. I have a Comcast connection that I know is capped at 16Mbit and that hits the ceiling at right around 2000KB/s.

• Kilobytes times 8, minus a tiny bit of overhead, equals kilobits.

Point of order.

I believe, if you take a quick gander at a map of North America, that you’ll find Toronto’s latitude to be lower than anywhere in Montana.

Reminds me of the woman in Wisconsin who refused to believe that we were north of some parts of Canada. “What do you mean, north of Canada? Nothing’s north of Canada.” :slight_smile:

Yes, they can – if somebody is willing to pay for the cost of running new cables from the nearest Central Office. Most neighborhoods are not wired to support T3 connections, and certainly not the OP’s, since he mentions the old wiring.

A T3 connection will allow for 672 regular phone lines, or a 44 Megabit/second data connection.

Actually, the phone company may be willing to run a T3 line to your business for free, if you sign a long-term contract for it. It will probably run you something like $7,500-$15,000 per month (17¢-35¢ per minute, every minute of the day).

Yeah, most people outside of my area have a hard time understanding that I go due-south to get into Canada.

who needs poutine and snow? I guess I’ll just hafta move to japan or elsewhere in Asia with state-of-the-art residential broadband.

Whoops. I should have known better (my father was born in Ontario). Well, our latitude is pretty darned close, anyway, since I’m very close to the Wyoming state line.

Telco employee checking in here.

DS3 can be served over copper, with a couple yeah-buts. Most residential copper, especially in older neighborhoods, is “loaded” with little do-dads that help to filter any noise outside of voiceband. If thats the case in your neighborhood, your telco would have to remove those load coils, and they probably won’t.

If you absolutely must ditch your current provider, and really need upper-tier bandwidth, you could consider muxing several lower-speed lines. Basic ISDN lines are frequently muxed together for videoconference solutions, I’m sure you could find an ISP that can handle a datamux for ISDN or DSL or what-have-you.

Rapier42 brings up some good points. Another possibility, depending on what you’re doing, is to bring in multiple lines that you don’t mux. This lets you use different vendors for better redundancy, although it will likely cost more that way.

I did that for one of my businesses years ago. I brought in two T1 lines, and used one of them for the main servers and the other for everything else. The other advantage to that is that when I accessed my own servers from most of the computers in the office, I saw the same thing everyone else was seeing – it helped me track down DNS problems a couple of times.