Expired water?

This may be a really stupid question, but it’s based on something I overheard in the elevator at work. Two women were discussing a restaurant that went under and re-opened with new management. Of the old management, the one young woman said: “They were doing things like serving people expired water!” :eek:

Um… What?

I’m assuming that she is referring to bottled water or something. Does bottled water have a “best before” date (and if so, WHY)? Or was this young woman mistaking the bottling date for an expiration date?

In New Jersey, it’s the law.

Just checked my bottle of Arrowhead and it doesn’t have an expiry date. I’m in California.

My Real Canadian spring water has an expiry date of November 2011. It was bottled Nov. 1, 2009. I’m in Ontario.

I’m too lazy to look for the thread, but I remember a previous discussion where someone posted a link that said in essence “the expiration date is used by the grocery store for stock rotation but doesn’t mean the water goes bad.”

So, when the stock is old/past the date, do they send the bottles for teh water to be re-bottled?

Expiration dates sometimes have nothing to do with when it actually goes bad, but instead just reflect that the company didn’t want to test it any longer. If you say it’s good for 10 years, you need the data to back that up.

But in **Contrapuntal **'s link the FDA says it should be good “indefinitely”. I assume the 2 year drinking deadline is just so people dump it and buy more?

Hmm. I was always taught it had something to do with chemicals in the plastic leaking into the water. Ignorance fought.

I thought it was because the seal on the container only could be guaranteed to last a certain amount of time. If the seal fails bacteria or mold could possibly enter the water, multiply, and make you sick.

or relabeled?

Interesting, but silly, IMHO. I’ll bet it hasn’t occurred to those women how old the water from natural wells is. My best guess is a lot older than two years. :smiley:

Bacteria and mold need nutrients to multiply. Bottled water, unless you’re getting it from an incredibly dodgy source, doesn’t have them.

If the seal breaks, it will have nutrients eventually get in. It might not happen quickly, but probably sooner than you think. The survival capacity of microbes is phenomenal.

Of course, it’s very unlikely to be anything harmful. It might taste off though.

Water is not gonna make you sick if it’s expried. But it may taste bad. Over the years the plastic-like taste may develop or something similar.

Pure water tastes bad. Buy some distilled water and try to drink it. Oh you can, but the taste just “isn’t right.” This is because there are minerals and salts in minute quanities that effect the taste of water.

But the resturant should not be serving anything that is expired, not because it’ll harm the patron, because it’s bad business.

You would be surprised how resourceful bacteria can be. Depending on how many decimals you want to chase in tests for organic carbons, you cannot use RO water because the resin leaks organics, especially when new. When you are doing tests to that level, you are supposed to use distilled water, not RO/Deionized water. I’ve heard of bacteria living within the RO units on the leached organics.

I’ve had trouble with bacteria contamination in flasks of autoclaved RO water too. I think they were eating something on the sponge at the top, or they may have been eating the sponge itself. Or maybe the autoclave failed. But my god, bacteria are a royal pain in the ass: it takes so little to get a few where you don’t want them.