Explain Ravens-Browns Ending?

To be fair the “kneeldown” wasn’t technically a legal play at that time (the NFL apparently didn’t change the rules to legitimize it until 1987). As the Wikipedia article on the game notes, the typical way to run out the clock back then was either for the QB to take the snap and drop on the ground until touched by a defensive player. There were apparently a variety of reasons why the Giants coach called for a handoff, and

Pfft! That’s a wimpy way to win. Embarrass us, we deserve it! :smiley:

Feh, that’s what happens when I post while on the phone.

How I’d meant to finish that was “There were apparently a variety of reasons why the Giants coach called for a handoff, and a lot of dissent over the play, even as it was called.”

Sure, but a handoff to a running back is, and has always been, considered a pretty safe play. That one was a complete fluke, but people have been laughing at Joe Pisarcik for it ever since.

Anyway, the Victory Formation *is *safe. What would be even better is if the defense could simply concede and not go through with the annoying charade, like a baseball team can now just concede an intentional walk.

From what I can tell from the rulebook, there is no codified requirement for the defense to be on the field at all; the requirements for a minimum number of players on the field are all on the offensive side of the ball (FYI, you have to have at least 7 players on the LOS, and never more than 11).

When it comes to a question of a minimum number of players required for the defense, that is 100% the referee’s decision (Rule 15-1-3: “The Referee’s decisions upon all matters not specifically placed under the jurisdiction of other officials by rule are final”). So if the ref doesn’t care, the defense can just leave. Or the ref can require they come back out of the locker room to defend, say, a PAT, like at the end of the NFC Divisional game between the Vikings and Saints last season.

The Miracle at the Meadowlands was Giants QB Joe Pisarcik trying to hand off to Larry Csonka with just a few seconds left. Csonka thought that Pisarcik was going to kneel and wasn’t expecting the handoff; when the ball came loose, Eagles cornerback Herm Edwards (yes, that Herm Edwards) picked up the ball and ran it in for the winning touchdown.

Here’s a video and analysis of the play:

Eh, it’s not impossible to lose the game despite being in victory formation, though it IS incredibly rare. It’s utterly impossible for a visiting team to win when down after the top of the ninth inning.
But anything that makes snoozefests like baseball games end quicker is A-OK in my book (in person viewing notwithstanding).

There is an episode of an obscure-ish series called Leverage in which Elliot tells Hardison, “I hate baseball”. Hardison takes exception to this, even after Elliot explains that baseball is one of the very few games where it is impossible for the defense to score points (see also Cricket).

I would argue that the defense can’t score points in basketball either. If you’re in position to score a basket then you’re not on defense…

I’ve never seen or even heard of it, have you?

The Browns suck.

Basketball doesn’t really have a distinct offense and defense. Or, by any standard by which it does, you’d also say that a defender making an interception and running it in for a touchdown has turned into an offense.

I think the point is a bit confused - baseball and cricket are the only two major ball sports where the defense controls the ball.

Just this season.
In the NFL, I have never heard of it, but it DOES happen at lower levels of play.

There was a time before American football teams were formed in squads, so the distinction between offense and defense was only a matter of who had possession.

What do you mean “wimp’s?” It’s how 99%, if not 100%, of football teams do it these days. Would it be more “manly” to risk a turnover?

Correct. The wimps are the teams that take a knee before halftime rather than try to score. At the end of the game, if you’re winning, you want the clock to run out.

That’s debatable but an argument can be made that you want to go into halftime with the best score you can, to make it easier to regain a lead or make it more difficult for an opponent to make a comeback.

Though I’d argue that if the ball gets punted to you with 15 seconds on the clock and you’re at your own 5 yard line the smart thing to do is kneel it. If something goes wrong you risk a safety or a turnover easily turned into a TD and there’s little-to-no chance of actually getting any points in that field position with so little time left. Anyone who went for desperation points in that situation would be rightfully ridiculed and it’s not “wimpy” to do the only non-stupid thing.