Exterior railing/safety for a second story door with out a deck.

What is this called?

I am finishing up our 2 story addition and want to put off the second story deck. In fact we may never put a deck on the second story.

Change of plans, now we have a door to a 10 foot drop. I’d rather not switch it over to a window. And who knows, perhaps a deck someday.

I’ve seen this on small hotels and such. It’s usually a decorative, wrot iron piece about 4 feet wide by 4 feet high. Bolts to the side of the house on the outside to keep people from making a first step into a 10 foot drop.

I think I could go to a business that makes security storm doors, and they could whip one right up. Though I don’t know if it has a name.

A window balustrade.

Window balustrade.
Outside view.

Wrought iron window balustrade.

French window balustrade.

Son of French window balustrade.

Bingo.

Didn’t know what it was called.

Decatur eh? Lived in Towanda, near Bloomington/Normal from 1969-1975.

Contact an ornamental iron shop to produce that. My local pricing would indicate ~ $100 (unpainted).

That’s what I’m thinking. I’m 100 miles from anyone that can do it so it may take a little sneaker shuffle.

My Mom had custom built steel security/storm doors made for her house. So I might contact them.

I gotta come up with a design though. We are in a mountain contemporary home. A curvy design does not fit too well (angles and glass).

I don’t really want it to look like a jail either.

Hmmmm…… perhaps something that incorporates a flower box……