Extremely popular, or even legendary entertainers whose work you've never seen/heard

I’ve heard of Frank Zappa. I know his band was the Mother’s of Invention. I know he has kids named Dweezil and Moon Unit. I know in the 80’s that he and other singers went to congress to testify against parental warning labels. I know he had an album called Weasels Ripped My Flesh, and I know he’s dead.

As far as I know however, I have not ever heard a single song from him.

And although he’s a megastar, I’ve also never heard a single Justin Timberlake song either.

anything made after 1999

The one that comes to mind is The Grateful Dead. I know I’ve heard the song “Truckin’” over the credits of some TV show, and I remember the bit on MST3K where they dress up as them and Crow plays a neverending guitar solo, but that’s pretty much it.

Justin Bieber, or however he spells his name. Probably true of any of the teen idol singers in the last 30 years, too.

I have never read a James Bond book or seen a James Bond movie.

Anything related to Twilight. I intend to keep it that way too.

Frank Zappa is who I came in here to say. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anything by him either. I remember going on iTunes once so I could hear samples of his music but he wasn’t listed on there (this was a few years ago, he might be on there now). And truth be told, I’m not sure I even know what he looks like.

Anne Rice, J. K. Rowling, Robert Jordan, any Teen Idol since Frankie Avalon, anything Twilight, and anything musical from Britain since Jethro Tull.

Mr. Sali has every album Frank Zappa ever made, on vinyl and CDs. But it’s all his, I couldn’t even name one song, much less recognize it.

For me, the music seems to have stopped in the late 80’s. I recognize the names - Green Day, Oasis, Mariah Carey, Miley Cyrus, Justin Beeber - I know who most of them are in pictures - and I may have heard snippets here and there of their songs. Meh. Must not have impressed me much!

Grateful Dead actually had a top 40 hit but Zappa never did.

I think it’s odd that people will ignore music after a certain date but they don’t seem to apply that same logic to movies , books ,etc.

Well I’m 57 and so far the only posts I can agree with are:

Twilight stuff and Robert Jordan???

The rest I know.

How so? Books don’t change a whole lot. A western written in 1960 will be much like a western written in 2005. Some more swearing and sex, but that’s about it. Ditto movies. A 1940s romance will be very much like a 2000s romance. Music, however, will be quite different.

Twilight, Robert Jordon, Uwe Boll (well, legendary), John Bunny/Max Linder (though I see they’re on Youtube, so I can catch up), and Josef von Sternberg

For newer music, I don’t listen to much of it, but I’ll usually listen to one or two songs from anyone.

Bob Dylan. I know he was a hugely popular singer in the 60s, that there was outrage when he started to use electronic instruments, that he had a terrible singing voice and that his real name was Robert Zimmerman. But I couldn’t name any of his songs, and I don’t think I’ve ever heard any. I’m not even sure whether he’s dead or alive.

Unless you’ve been under a rock for the last 40 years, you’ve heard his songs. They’re covered by…everybody, actually.

Rush

Even more embarrassing is the fact that I built a couple set pieces for them (our shop did) and have met them a few times. People insist I have heard them but didn’t know it…I’m not sure that’s true, but whatever.

Same with Frank Zappa. (Unless I have and just didn’t know it was by him.)

Woody Allen.

Oh, good one. I saw about 10 minutes of one of the movies at a friends house once, but that was about it.

As far as I can recall, I don’t think I have ever seen a movie with Humphrey Bogart, Marilyn Monroe or James Dean (though I have seen each on news clips or in magazines, and certainly recognize each of their images)

Even though I am not a movie buff, I know that I really should watch Casablanca at some point, as it is widely held as one of the best films of all time…

Everything I know about Twilight is from internet synopses of how ridiculous it is. I might get around to seeing one some day, as long as whoever I’m watching it with doesn’t mind drunken snickers and outbursts.

I have heard Justin Bieber. If our experience is similar, I’ll wager that some of you HAVE heard his music, but rightfully assumed that the singer was a 12-year old girl, and so didn’t make the connection.

Phish is one culty band who I don’t know a song from and not sure if I care. There are some others who I know only one song from, but not anything else.