Eyebrow waxing - scabs

I get my eyebrows waxed. The skin will stay red and puffy for a day or two. Occassionally some skin is taken with the hairs and I’ll get a scab or two below the brow.

Any ideas what causes the scabs? Wax too hot, not hot enough? Applying the fabric strip too hard or too long? skin too sensitive?

I’m guessing that you’re pulling off some skin as well as hair. If the wax isn’t burning you, then it shouldn’t be too hot, and if it wasn’t hot enough, then it probably wouldn’t work for the hair.

A lot of salons use talcum or some other kind of powder to prevent the wax from sticking to the skin, so you can ask about that.

Wilmerding?

I’ve been getting my eyebrows waxed for a couple of years now, and I’ve never had scabs.

Could it be ingrown hairs?

I’m fairly certain that skin is coming with the hairs. I like the idea of powder - I’ll suggest that next time. Thanks

What gave it away? My accent? So either you are familiar with the jingle or you are from the valley also. I never actually heard it, just of it.

Always use a UNION eyebrow waxer. Otherwise, you can’t be sure of the quality of the job.

I grew up in Pittsburgh at the time the “There’s no Winkys in Wilmerding” ads were running. :smiley:

I’ve been getting my eyebrows waxed for over 20 years and only once did I get scabs. That’s because the wax was too hot and pulled skin off with it. If this happens all the time, you might want to find another esthetician. The skin should not stay red and puffy for a day or two either. Sounds like the person doing the waxing needs a refresher course.

The wax is too hot, like has been mentioned above. I never, ever get scabs or redness - once, ever, in the past 5+ years. I also get my brows dyed. Ya wanna go see my girl?

Do you use an alphahydroxy or gycolic acid product? Or Retin-A or Accutane? Those products will “thin” the skin and make you more likely to get scabs. Most dermatologists and salons recommend you get your eyebrows tweezed instead of waxed if you use the above products.