Fab Four moptop Paul sings about Scotland?

One of my Christmas albums has on it the song “Mull of Kintyre” by Wings (Paul McCartney et al.), my favourite Paul McCartney solo song. My girlfiend, who loves putting me on the spot, asked me “what’s a Mull of Kintyre”? I told her “something in Scotland.” We both realized this answer was insufficient, so I did some research. Here’s what I found out:

mull = friable forest humus
Kintyre = Scottish peninsula
Isle of Mull = island off the coast of Scotland, to the north of the Kintyre region

mull of kintyre = mud of kintyre? can’t be.

So, tyred of mulling it over, I turn to my kin at the SDMB for The Straight Dope.

All together now

Quand les talons claquent, l’esprit se vide.
Maréchal Lyautey

http://www.kintyre.mull.com/

“There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.”
~P.J. O’Rourke~

“mull:” In Scotland, a promontory or headland.

–OED

BTW, when this record was released in the UK, it became the biggest selling record of all time (in the UK), outselling “I Wanna Hold Your Hand.”

It failed to crack Top 40 in the US.

Bloody Yanks. . . .

Uh, weren’t we busy impeaching our president or something when this was released? (Was it the early 70’s?) That may have something to do with it. Or maybe we just went “What’s a “mull”?” It’s a great song either way.

“There’s a snake in my boot!”

'78 or '79–'80 at the latest.

Thank you for the information, people.

The website mentioned just had pictures, but no description.

So I guess the “Mull of Kintyre” is a promontory (or a series of bluffs) in Kintyre, Scotland, not a particular building or monument, and not any individal cliff.

It is a piece of headland in Scotland. I seem to recall that McCartney owns it, or at least a significant part of it.

If you look at this map, it’s the strip of land between Islay and Arran, off the West coast of Strathclyde.