Facial hair...what can I do?

I have always wanted a beard, but am unable to grow one. I do have patches of hair on my face, but nothing that I would proudly let grow. My brother and my father have both had a full beard since the age of 18. I am 25 and starting to wonder if I wil ever be able to grow a beard.

Does anyone know of a way to make a beard come in fuller? (“fuller” that doesn’t sound right.) I have had people tell me to shave with cold water, hot water, and shave everyday. I have tried all of these and nothing works.

Thanks,

Daniel

Shaving will not affect your beard’s growth rate, regardless of water temperature. However, shaving with hot water every day will make your face hurt. What’s that? You say your face doesn’t hurt?
Well, it’s killing me!
(Big laffs)

good one

Thanks,

Daniel

Hey Greathouse, see my other thread in this forum. http://www.straightdope.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/003670.html In it it states that Rogaine will probably help. I myself have facial hair but would like more backhair. :slight_smile: WOOHOO! They give some other suggestions, just don’t listen to WIGGUM, not like anyone else actually does.

HUGS!
Sqrl

Gasoline: As an accompaniement to cereal it made a refreshing change. Glen Baxter

This is kinda facetious and it’s referring to a study discussed back in an intro course in endocrinology I once had. I’d have to dig it up for more details, but [this is from memory, now]:

Some sheepherders? in Scotland were studied and their beard growth was measured. Basically, these guys would take a ship out to some island to work where their flock was. They were there for months. Their beard growth rate was measured on the voyage out and on the voyage back home. Their beards grew at a much faster rate on the way home. Why? Their “juices” were flowing in anticipation of getting laid by their women.

So, Greathouse, make yourself horny, baby!

Wow… I have a better beard than somebody else… (lousy beard @ 16…) Well anyway I assume you did not go through puberty at an early age. Genetics probably havent kicked in yet. Shaving doesn’t cause it to grow in faster or thicker…maybe you are going bald early, and its starting with your face… odd but possible…

-Wash, Rinse, Maim.

There is a seed of truth to the “shaving makes your beard grow faster” theory. Obviously, since hair’s dead, you can’t make it grow faster by cutting it. However, once you shave down to nothing, there’s a big visual difference between smooth as a baby’s behind and covered in tiny stubble.

Well corelating it to the well known fact that if you engage in certain unnatural practices hair will grow in unwanted places(that is places where hair is not wanted, not places you don’t want.) Perhaps if you took classes in gymnastics from a contortionist…? It’s just heredity,two of my bros have thick beards, the more hirsute of them shaves! (out of spite).Our Amerind genes came out stronger in me and my beard couldnt even be a goatee till i was close to 30. my Younger bro is between me and them but blond and it doesn’t show at all. I been wondering where i could use this; I cried because I had no woman,Then I met a man who had no hands.

“Pardon me while I have a strange interlude.”-Marx

*Greathouse: I have always wanted a beard, but am unable to grow one. I do have patches of hair on my face, but nothing that I would proudly let grow. My brother and my father have both had a full beard since the age of 18. I am 25 and starting to wonder if I wil ever be able to grow a beard. *

I had a similar problem. I had a late puberty (around 16), and even then my facial hair was slow to grow. I think I could shave about once a month.

Then about 2 months before I turned 21: bam! Instant beard! It still had a couple of sparse patches, but they were easy to trim into a good shape.

My moustache and beard didn’t join; still don’t. But every year, the sparse patches grow smaller. (I think it’s in preparation for hair growing out of my ears. :))

Perhaps your beard hair is insensitive to your hormones.

I think the Rogaine approach sounds like the best bet.

hop on over to lardballs place http://www.straightdope.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/003761.html and then visit a chiropractor, see if you can get your head twisted around. Have some of my Dad’s chili he always said it would put hair on your chest, just don’t swallow it. Really it is just genetics ain’t much you can do about it, cept wait and see if any thing changes. I do know that iif you hang around long enough hair will grow out of your ears.Maybe you could style it.

“Pardon me while I have a strange interlude.”-Marx