Facial Moisturizers

I’d like to hear about your favorite facial moisturizers. I’ve been using Nivea Soft Moisturizing Creme, but its a bit too oily for my liking. Actually, I’ve recently wondering if this particular creme is even meant for the face. Very often when looking at drugstore lotions I can’t figure out whether a particular lotion is meant for the face or not. I see many that say “body moisturizer”, but very few explicitly indicate usage for the face.

So, please recommend a moisturizer meant for the face. I would prefer it to be available at drugstores and under $20 a pop. I tend to have sensitive and mostly dry skin, FWIW. I’m in my late 20s.

Thanks!

I just use regular old Oil of Olay. I do get the kind for sensitive skin, but I wouldn’t necessarily say I’ve got tetchy skin. I spend very little on beauty regimes (I don’t wear makeup) and this is pretty much my only concession to “trying to look younger”. I don’t feel the need to spend mega bucks on something that may or may not make a difference.

I’ve been using it for a little over five years now (right before I turned 30) and haven’t had a single problem with it.

Right now I’m using the Murad line of products, and I love them. But they ain’t cheap, that’s for sure. But after years of buying and throwing away many drug store lines, I’m going to stick with them for a while since they seem to be doing what I need-- reducing adult acne and the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.

The only drug store brand that has come close (kind of) for me is Neutrogena. Their daily moisturizer is very light, but still makes your skin feel soft. I use this to mix with my foundation t make it stretch a little farther and go on a little smoother too.

I use Cetaphil lotion. It can be used on the body and face. My dermatologist recommended it to me many times, and I’m only sorry I kept trying other more expensive moisturizers too long.

My skin is dry and sensitive too. The price is right, it’s definitely way under 20 dollars (Cdn)

I also like Neutrogena. I’m acne prone, and it’s the only one that moisturizes enough without also making me break out. I don’t like the Neutrogena ones with SPFs higher than about 15 or 20 though, they tend to be very greasy and feel like putting regular body sunblock on your face.

I also love Oil of Olay Complete Defense SPF 30 for sensitive skin, but I can never find it.

I use Clinique Moisture On-Line, and I have exceedingly sensitive skin. But recently I was given a few samples of a couple of Mario Badescu products and I’m hooked on their Hyaluronic Moisturizer. 2 oz. is $22, more than drugstore stuff but less than half the price of Clinique. And it absorbs so well that just a tiny bit works; you don’t have to slather it on. Good-bye Clinique. (Except for their lipstick. And their eyeshadow.)

I love Oil of Olay Total Effects, I use the SPF 15 for day and the night cream.

I’ve heard nothing but good things about Neutrogena products, but they make my skin go nuts. Once every couple of years ago I forget that and pick something up thinking “Hey, I heard this stuff is great.” and… cue the hideous breakout. Oh well, nothing works for everyone.

The easiest way to figure out is the container. Most ones meant for the face are just a few ounces and have some sort of pump to dispense the lotion. If you need to unscrew the top, or it’s more than 8 or so ounces (except for Cetaphil, which comes in a big bottle too, but still with a pump), it’s probably not for your face.

I’m using Clean & Clear’s Dual Action Moisturizer. It doesn’t make me break out, and my face is no longer drying and pealing post shower, so I suppose it works well enough.

It’s so dry here I have heard of people using Crisco. I can use heavy lotion on my face living here. Seriously. I use the same stuff all over. Stuff marketed for faces doesn’t do the job. Oil-free? I laugh at oil-free. Give me the natural-laden-with-oils stuff.

In a wetter climate I like the Aveeno line.

Lately, I’ve been exploring products in the Isomers line–sold on ShopNBC. Pricey–unless you catch the frequent special offers.

However, I’ve got a fair number of years on you. Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer SPF 30 is good stuff. Readily available at the drugstore & not too pricey.

For daytime wear, please get something with a respectable SPF!

I use what my mother’s used for years and years, and she’s always gotten massive compliments on her skin. Fruit of the Earth brand Vitamin E creme. I get it at Wally World (yes, I know), and I think it’s about $5 a jar. And it lasts forever. It looks like it’s a little heavy, but ends up not being too bad. I use it in the morning after my shower.

I switch it up, Loreal, Aveeno, Neutrogena, OO.

But I would love to go back to using Lancome or Origins or L’Occitane. A rare treat when I want to spoil myself.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I think I’m going to pick up some Cetaphil. I used it years ago and it did wonders, but for some reason it dropped off my radar.

I’d still like to hear more suggestions in case the results I get from Cetaphil aren’t what I hope for.

Olay with SPF is pretty good – I’ve had that on one half of my face and $250 Creme de la Mer on the other and preferred the latter.

I’m acne prone and there are only a few products that don’t make me break out. The first moisturizer I discovered was Eucerin beta hydroxy lotion. It was slightly irritating, but really softened my skin without breaking it out. Then the bastards took it off the market. Olay Definity is very hydrating without breaking me out. (I can’t touch the Regenerist products as they break me out.) Recently I was given a free bottle of DDF 10% Glycolic Exfoliating Moisurizer and I love, love, love it. My skin is very soft and acne free! Bad news: It’s pricey.

*Disclaimer: I work for the company that makes the latter three products.

I’m using that at the moment and quite like it but I wish it didn’t smell quite so much like plain old sunscreen. I think probably the SPF 15 would be fine for me for every day wear.

I just started using Aveeno anti-wrinkle cream and I love it. It has a delicate, fresh scent and it’s very light. It comes in a jar, which I like better than a pump because I have more control over the amount I use. It absorbs quickly and doesn’t leave any residue – with some Olay products, I’ve wanted to wash my face after applying the lotion. It was $14 at K-Mart and it’ll probably last me for six months.

I use Vaseline with regularity. A friend uses almond oil - she’s more nutty granola that I am.

I haven’t actually tried straight oil, but almond sounds like a nice choice. And I know I can get it here, this area is almost painfully nutty granola. I’m sure that would give some people heart attacks, but if they moved here, they’d see my point once their face started flaking off.

My skin is better than it’s been in years since moving here, as long as I keep up with the lotion.

Cetaphil rocks.

I fear for my skin, if, at 26 years old, I already have to use the deep moisturizing cream (in the tub, not the pump dispenser) on my face. In the winter I’ll sometimes have to add a couple of drops of straight oil (vitamin e or olive) to it as well. :frowning: