Factual question about the history of wrestling (WWF) in the Northeast

I don’ think this belongs in the cafe club threads, since it really is about a factual history.

The WWF was big in the Northeast in the 70’s, when wrestling was still billed as a legit sport, and when wrestling companies were more regional.

Most (many?) WWF matches were held in a small arena (PA ?) and televised on Saturday mornings. These were the days of Bob Baclund, George “the Animal” Steele, and other assorted characters like Capt. Lou Albano and Classie Freddie Blassie.

Typically, their was a regular ring announcer and the event started like a boxing event.

My questions are:

-who was the regular ring announcer ?
-who was the fight doctor ?
-who was the state athletic commisioner ?
-who was the “time keeper at the bell” ?
They were named every week by the ring announcer.

When wrestling became “sports entertainment” officially and exploded with characters like Hulk Hogan, and Vince Mcmahon, Jr took over, this pre-fight ritual died off. But I was trying to remember the names of the folks who were named every week and had to be part of the event because it was licensed like boxing was.

Can anyone help!

When I was in high school in the 1970s, Vince MacMahon was the ring announcer, and his sideman, the color commentator, was Antonino Rocca (a former wrestler who never quite mastered English, and often sounded like Ricky Ricardo on speed).

Vince was not a muscular guy at the time. Indeed, his main talent was as a straight man. When he was interviewing guys like Superstar Billy Graham (from whom Hulk Hogan admits he stole practically his whole look and his whole schtick) or Freddie Blassie, he was brilliant at keeping a straight face, and feeding them straight lines (almost like Rob Reiner in “Spinal Tap”).

I had no idea at the time that MacMahon was the promoter and entrepreneur behind the whole “federation.” I thought he was just a very funny TV commentator.