"Family Circus" diminished my view of humanity today

How is stating my opinion of a strip and the nerd who penned it having a “garbage mouth”? :confused:

Never read his comic, but I searched and read about Tom Batiuk. That’s all.

Really? This is when you decided the linguistic or educational standards ship hit an iceberg?

For decades kids with a 3rd grade level of skill have been given a diploma representing 12 years of what can only be described as attendance.

Yes it’s sad that a comic strip writer lets a spell checker do the work of an editor but I’m not sure that’s where I want to draw the line of disbelief.

Could it be you’re a little bit homophonebic?

Cool it. pkbites is allowed to express his opinion of a comic strip in a thread about comic strips, but you can’t attack other posters on a personal level in this forum.

*foliage :stuck_out_tongue:

:stuck_out_tongue:*foilage.

As usual, the Family Circus has already covered this topic.

All right…somehow I had expected that an innocuous comic strip whose creator died recently would not be the target of invective as Family Circus has been. My aim was to defend it. If you know a more effective way to make my point without violating the Board’s standards for IMHO, I will be glad to employ it in the future.

People love and hate all kinds of stuff. You’re not allowed to insult them for it, so comments like “garbage mouth” are never appropriate in this forum. That’s not a defense of Keane or the strip, it’s just an attack on another person. You can comment on another person’s statements or attitudes without actually insulting them, and that’s the way to go.

Not Cathy, right? I think that Cathy is universally disliked.:dubious:

“Nobody did it!”

I’ve got to hear more about this. What possible connection could FC have to medical education?

Are the Red Sox fans of the Family Circus?

Wasn’t there a former now-banned Doper with some weird Family Circus obsession, constantly posting links saying “The Family Circus did it first” or something but then would post links to some bizarro fake FC site that it turned out was his own that he’d been spamming for? I can’t remember the name for the life of me. I think he got banned for socking.
ETA:

Probably what Patty O’ was referencing here:

Yeah, that was Markxxx’s schtick. This thread contains one example.

Er… I sometimes kinda like Cathy. It’ll never be my favorite, but it’s comfortable. Sort of like Fred Basset.

My comment on almost all Family Circus parodies:

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/2934/fccomment.jpg

See also.

Good jokes, crappy artwork. Cathy, mean; not familiar with the other.

I’m in agreement with the OP on this one. The target audience for FC is young children. This is setting a bad example either due to stupidity or laziness.
And, even though I use it myself when speaking/writing in the vernacular, the “gonna” has no place in a comic aimed at children. All this dumbing down has gotten out of hand.