Fan or not, talk about what you hated in any version of Star Trek [spoilers]

Odo and all other shapeshifters, neat idea, but how do they explain away mass, density, thermal reactions, etc…?

Non TNG uses of Q. Always fell flat.

Using prequel series to explain away as apologists certain wellworn nits of trekdom.

TUC. Technology Unchained Utopia. Almost ruined the franchise right there. People are people. We’re not going to evolve out of that in a mere few scores of years.

“If she were alive now, I would kill her where she stands!” You know what I’m talking about… It didn’t need an explanation! It just was, like smooth headed Klingons. Sheesh.

(Well, I loved DS9 but this ain’t that kind of thread)

Voyager: The premise didn’t allow for good repeat villains. The whole mission of Voyager was to go home as fast as possible. It didn’t make sense when the same Kazons kept showing up over and over, or the Vidiians for that matter. They had one good shot at a good, mysterious, different recurring character in Crewman Suder (the Betazed murderer played by Brad Dourif). His character could have opened up lots of interesting issues - how do you deal with that psychopath crew member on your starship when you can’t take him to the nearest starbase? Can you trust him with shipboard duties, or do you lock him up in his comfortable quarters for 75 years? Can Tuvok heal him? Would the friends of his victims accept him if he were rehabilitated?

And did the writers explore those avenues? No, they killed him off.

I’ve said it before in another thread, but I’ll say it here too. From a storytelling standpoint, Voyager needed Q a lot more than TNG did. Too bad all the good Q stories were taken by the time he appeared on Voyager.

Voyager spent way too much time on alien/anomaly of the week, and not enough time on what it would be like to be on a starship that far away from home. “Year of Hell” got close, but then someone pushed the Reset Button.

Characters never changed on Voyager. How many times did Seven get taught a “lesson in humanity” only to have to re-learn it three weeks later? Say what you like about DS9, but its characters were well fleshed out and changed. I could, if I wanted to, write a 3 page essay all about Elim Garak, his motivations, his past history, his personality, and so on - and he’s only a supporting recurring character. Meanwhile, I’d be hard pressed to write even a good solid paragraph about what makes Ensign Kim tick.

Best(?) example: VOY’s “The Q and the Grey”

Almost made me want to burn my entire series of tapes.

Hated DS9. Hated almost all the Worf episodes on TNG. Hated Geordi. Hated the machismo-ing of Ryker, with the beard and all. Hated Counselor Troi. Hated Wesley. Hated the dynamic between Picard and Worf; the captain almost always was condescending and barkish toward him. Hated Neelix on Voyager.

Hated DS9. Loathed Voyager. Never bothered to give Enterprise a watch. TOS was iconic, and TNG wasn’t too bad, most of the time. It’s when they started to get “message-oriented” that any of the series took a dive into the crapola.

The main problem is that, excluding Stewart, none of the actors playing Captains could act their way out of a paper bag. Universal suckage.

TOS: Shatner’s acting and various episodes of Season Three.
TAS: The Counter-Clock Incident
TNG: Wesley Crusher
DS9: Worf getting it on with Dax
Voy: 7/9
Ent: Panda

I hated the way that the writers on Voyager ran out of ideas in the later seasons, and so started over-using the Holodeck. I mean, the whole point of doing Voyager, of having it be set far away from any area of space previously used in other series was so that they could do stories that just wouldn’t have worked if the rest of the Federation was nextdoor. But then what did we get? Show after show set entirely (or nearly entirely) on the Holodeck, hitting bottom with that insanely dumb Flash Gordon attempted spoof.

In all the series, but especially DS9, I hated, hated, hated all the inter-species romance and procreation! I mean, come on, how many people do you know who are sexually attracted to a gorilla or a chimpanzee? And yet we’re supposed to accept that Humans and Klingons and Vulcans and Ferengi not only get the hots for each other but can freely inter-breed? Just totally throws believability out the window.

I echo Domokun’s sentiment about the non-alien-looking “aliens”. It got to be such a total joke on Voyager; each week, a new alien species with a different pattern of bumps. How could their makeup people have such a total, complete, utter lack of any semblance of imagination?

Also add me to the list of people that totally hated Kira on DS9. Could not stand to watch or listen to her.

Lastly, I truly hate the “creative” people behind Enterprise. They had a good premise, and then wasted, wasted, wasted it by just rehashing old plots from TOS. In the beginning, they made such a big deal out of how this was going to be at the dawn of space travel, when everything was new and untested, blah, blah. Which could have been interesting, if they’d actually portrayed it that way! But just as I predicted from the start, they quickly got dependent on the transporters, introduced phasors with stun ability, used “hull plating” just like shields, had sensors that could detect whatever the plot called for, etc. What a waste, I’m extremely happy to see it cancelled.

I hated that Janice Rand and her miniskirt were written out of TOS after season 1. :smiley:

I’m glad to see so many folks who hated DS9. I just could never get into it. Bad acting, and the whole space station thing just isn’t all that interesting.

I liked Voyager once Seven of Nine joined the crew. Not just for her from fitting uniforms, but she added a new dimension to the storylines.

Enterprise just sucked. How many times can you run the story of aliens being invited on board, and then taking over the ship.

What turned me off the most about certain Trek episodes (all series) is the use of magic instead of technology. “Q” is the ultimate example. I like my magic in fantasy stories, and I like my SciFi to be technology driven.

Don’t get the exorbitant love for TOS- it had its share of amazing episodes, but it had at least as many that were downright unwatchable.

There are very few episodes of TNG I can watch these days… between the enormous plushy bridge and Troi, it’s just waaaaay too happy and touchy-feely.

I love DS9, but I hate Ferengi episodes. If the Grand Nagus and Moogie characters had never existed, the world would be a better place. Rom too.

Voyager and Enterprise: Two potentially interesting premises wasted by execrable execution.

Shatner

There’s no accounting for taste. :dubious:
Message stories left me weary. Whether TOS, TAA/TAS, TNG, or ENT. Never paid too much attention to either VOY or DS9, just enough to whet my aggravation.

I hated Wesley Crusher’s Rainbow Brite[sup]tm[/sup] uniform. I didn’t mind the concept too much (hey, all the characters had a rocky time in the first season), but the outfit really bit.

I enjoyed Troi as eye-candy, but didn’t see what the frag she was doing on the bridge. Shove her down in Sickbay, or just combine her role with the ship’s doctor.

I hated the Holodeck. Cheap-ass deus ex machina. As Scott Adams wrote, “Once we perfect the holodeck, humanity is doomed.”

I hated Star Trek V. 'nuff said.

Well, he’d deliberately dumbed himself down, limiting himself to looking only eight moves ahead. When Troi sees a mate nine moves ahead, he’s suitably shocked.

Heh. That scene just shows a fundamental ignorance of chess (and the surrounding episode, involving a selective memory wipe of every crew member, including Data, was preposterous, too). Troi describes chess as a game of instinct, which is so incredibly bizarre it defies description. Zapp Brannigan said it better later on:

Zapp: In the game of chess, you can never let your adversary see your pieces.

I didn’t like Data, or Troi, or even La Forge’s VISOR because they only ever displayed enough ability to move the plot along, yet later seemed to lose those abilities when they’d really come in handy in later episodes.

I disliked Wesley on general principal because his character implied that intelligence counted for more than experience.

I hated the touchy-feeliness of TNG in its early phase, and Troi’s contribution to it in particular. I didn’t hate her, just the whole talk-about-your-feelings stuff.

I could have done without Naomi Wildman in VOY.

I hate it that we never get to see Chef’s real face on ENT.

Bergmana "We’re running out of ideas again, lets bring back the Borg, our viewers LOVE the Borg…

Bergmana’s last idea for the next Trek series (before they were tossed into the transporter and had their patterns dispersed)

the new show is;

Star Trek; Collective

Ep 1; the Collective assimilates a planet
Ep 2; the Collective assimilates a planet
Ep 3; the Collective assimilates a planet
Ep 4; the Collective assimilates a planet
Ep 5; the Collective deals with an outbreak of individuality, then assimilates a planet
Ep 6; the Collective assimilates a planet
Ep 7; the Collective assimilates a planet
Ep 8; the Collective assimilates a planet

TNG: Wesley, the fact that Worf seemed to be the biggest pussy in the universe, and that the whole crew seemed more like Bureaucrats in Space! than anything else.

DS9: I liked the first season, but when they went to the whole Dominion War business, it started to go down hill.

VOY: Janeway seemed to know everything, plus they had this whole “don’t kill anything” attitude. They were stuck in the Delta Quadrant and a vacuum based lifeform (which I have a hard time believing could exist) decides to suck power from the ship. Do they kill it? No. They spent the whole episode trying to figure out how to dislodge the damn thing. Kirk would have checked it, and if there wasn’t a hole for him to stick his weiner in, he’d have killed it, and moved on to the first commercial break. What tore it for me, however, was the episode where Neelix got his lungs stolen. Okay, so these aliens have some kind of weird disease and the only way they can treat it is by stealing organs from other species? Uh, uh. Given the problems we have with organ rejection within our own species, there’s simply no way that this would be an effective solution. (And don’t hand me the crap about them forgetting what their original DNA was like.)

ENT: I saw one episode. They were trapped in a cave on this planet and for some reason, they all had a bad acid trip. I didn’t see any reason to keep watching.

I think I’ll always look back fondly at TNG, but looking back, I am irritated by just how pathologically NOBLE all of the main characters were. The answer to the question, “Is there any possibility that (insert character’s name here) will NOT do the right thing?” is, sadly, “No.”

Also, Riker needed to be killed horribly, then reanimated, then killed horribly, then reanimated, then killed horribly, etc. I hated him so, so much.

TOS: It’s been so long, Spock got to show his emotions once or twice too often.

TNG: Wesley. Just as well they had him horribly killed (twice) before season two.

First season Troi. Actually, first season everyone else too. Let’s say TNG starts at season two.

Worf’s fatherhood issues – what sort of show is this anyway?

DS9: Bajoran politics.

Bashir’s dad, WTF?

Voy: Embarassing plots (warp 10 anyone :rolleyes: ) At least “Bride of Chaotica” was supposed to be humorous, some of the serious episodes were idiotic.

Ent: Boring.

Xindi time-war-soap-opera.

Not the panda, the panda was OK.

I seem to be in a minority in that I loved Quark, Rom, and Nog. They and the rest of the DS9 crew were some of the most human characters in the whole franchise, which I think made it the strongest series of them all.

Voyager was a colossal disappointment. It started with the crew being relentlessly pursued by aliens that had antimatter and warp technology but couldn’t figure out how to get water… when Enterprise had a bunch of aliens with that same quality, I turned it off and didn’t go back.

What else sucked about Voyager? Janeway… the ep where they encountered a region of space so far away from anything the stars weren’t visible (WTF?) … the Delta Flyer… the Holodeck… Neelix…

And Nemesis was bloody awful. The world did not need a piss-poor remake of Wrath of Khan. But it did seem to establish “The Rule of Five” for Star Trek movies.