Fashion that is NOT flattering

Bras under tank tops is not a fashion trend. If you have anything from a medium to substantial-sized bust, you are basically forced to wear a bra for comfort reasons first, aesthetic second. Personally, I could no longer give a shit if my bra straps show. Yes, I’m wearing a bra. Yes, it’s 45c, and I’m wearing a strappy top. If designers made more subtle, flattering bra straps maybe it would be less of a problem. But finding thin pretty straps anyway on a D-cup sized bra is like finding a snowflake in fucking hell.

Amen, sister!

And sublight, :eek: , that is fugly!

Anyone who has seen Tori Amos’ (actually Y Kant Tori Read) video “The Big Picture”, will know why some women should NEVER be allowed to wear hip hugger jeans.

The actresses in the horrendous Josie and the Pussycats had to have to pairs of low riders made, one to stand in and one to sit in because when they sat down, their butts would hang out.

Lots of these guys do have belts. They’re just oversized, too. I don’t get it either.

As for bra straps and tank tops, it was almost a trend here last year to wear spaghetti strap tops and cute little colored bras. The bra strap was intended to be seen. Of course, it was the supremely delicate and dainty sort of bra strap perfectly color coordinated with the tank top.

jessica

I don’t like jeans that have that “dirty” look and are made to look faded and worn. I like geniunely worn jeans, not brand-new jeans that someone stained gray-green. It’s totally fake.

Those baby doll midriff t-shirts annoy the hell out of me. Maybe if you’re seven they look cute. But on a seventeen year, they just look dumb.

Those low-riding hip-huggers are OK if you are nice and slender. But if you have fleshy saddlebags, be prepared for stares, sister.

Finally, I don’t like the funky sneakers everyone seems to be wearing in NY. I don’t know how to describe them, except to say that they look like a combination between bowling shoes and the old-school Adidas. They aren’t cute at all, IMHO.

At the risk of stating the obvious, have you considered taking a pair of scissors to one of your old pairs of Levi’s? You can have shorts any length you like.

And I sure hope JillGat doesn’t see all these negative comments about saddle shoes…

Ditto, we already had a thread about that I think.

I know exactly what you mean. A friend and I were just looking at those in a store and thinking they looked like orthopedic nurses shoes or something. I mean if your mom brought you home a pair of those to wear you’d freak out, but since you saw it in a Sketchers ad, it must be cool, right? :rolleyes:

I’m really glad the “square toed” shoe thing is starting to be phased out in women’s shoes, as well as the “Frankenstein Boot” look. For the last few years I’ve hardly bought any shoes at all, and that’s a bold statement!

I disagree. If you’re big-busted (and I’m a D), you have two choices: wear a bra and skip the skimpy tops, or wear the skimpy tops and skip the bra. Personally, I gave up on bras about four years ago; I look better without them (although I do occasionally wear a corset as they’re much more comfortable–but not under anything like a tank top). But the two together make people wonder if you actually looked at yourself in a mirror before you left the house.

Racer72–yeah, I included ‘gangsta’ pants in my list of fashion horrors. I can’t stand them and my pov is, since you’re essentially wearing a skirt, why not just wear a skirt? Besides, I miss the days when you could admire a guy’s buns and basket. :wink:

Sublight–the links you provided were…eeewwwwww! The ganguro look is teetering close to racism, too, imo.

I don’t care what the reason-the caps look stupid. Period.

I swear, if I see one more “Princess” shirt, I’m going to vomit.

A Princess shirt? Is that like a peasant shirt–drawstring 'round the neck and far too skimpy for any self-respecting peasant?

The ‘wave nets’ are generally worn here by Hispanic guys, but to me it’s the equivalent of those women who used to wear curlers in public. Bleah.

I regret posting on this thread at all, and I rescind my statement about the egg girls. Judging people in my own culture for their choice of fashion is fine, but I’d rather not participate in the judgment of other cultures’ fashion. Slamming fashion that is specific to a race or minority isn’t something I’m willing to do or condone.

All apologies.

I hate to break it to you all but bra straps are now meant to be seen.

Live and learn.

I agree with the bra straps showing. I mean, I don’t hate them, but they just look terribly uncomfortable. When I wear a camisole, I do so because it feels cooller, and wearing a bra would just seem to make you feel overheated. But to each her own…

Also those shirts that the younger set (middle school I guess?) seems to wear. Yeah, the “Princess,” “Angel,” “Spoiled Brat” ones. I actually saw a girl sporting a “Well-Bred” one…Newsflash, if you have to advertise it, you are not. :slight_smile:

Also, pink on anyone older than thirty. I’m not talking about individual items that are pink, but everything in pink is kind of weird looking after awhile. Oh hell, everything in pink is weird at any age. There’s an episode of “Frasier” where Diane shows up in Frasier’s subconscious sporting pink and looking utterly horrendous, IMHO.

Belt mounted key rings with a spring loaded chain. Janitor fetish perhaps?
Crescent wrenches attached to belts or belt loops with a chain.

Both ruled out if they are directly work related, but come on fellas, during leasure time?

FWIW, I wear a tool belt at work (it’s practical) but none of this stuff after hours. It looks so silly.

No. It’s just a shirt that says, “Princess” on it. EVERYTHING says “Princess” on it. It’s so cute-not.

Pink-I think it would depend on the shade. If it’s a very pale peachy pink sweater, it might work. My grandmother looks very nice in pink-mauve is also a good color.

Yes, the huge baggy pants on guys=blech. I want guys who dress like they did back in the first part of the century-pants with suspenders, slightly baggy button down striped shirts, loose tie, hair slightly scruffy. Like Carter on ER.

About the straps on tank-tops… if you find the ones with a “built-in” bra and then wear it with a good strapless bra you get enough support without the trash.

I definitly agree, Guinastasia about guys who dress like that. They did look much nicer in the first part of the century–especially with the hats.

I agree with Guin and Jellyfish. I think the bottom picture on this page shows the absolute best-looking outfit Gunslinger owns. :slight_smile:

I gotta agree with Zoggie on the whole “if you have to adveritse it…” angle.

But my personal peeve are those damn silver studs that seem to be popping up on clothes nowadays that just scream “look at me! I’m punk! LOOK AT ME!” Those studded belts that are too wide for normal belt loops ain’t doing much for me either.

(Slight hijack)

Darn, when I opened this thread, I’d hoped it was asking for SUGGESTIONS for non-flattering fashons. I was going to suggest a holocaust cloak and a fencing mask. :wink:

Ranchoth

I don’t have this choice. For the past four years I’ve lived in hot countries where skimpy tops are the most comfortable option outside, and I am extremely uncomfortable AND look bad without a bra.

So I will take the 3rd choice: wear the skimpy top with the most subtle, pretty-strapped bra I can find, and not give a fuck about the opinions of small-minded, judgemental people on this thread and elsewhere.

I don’t see why just because I wasn’t “blessed” with a smaller natural cup size I should be forced to limit my comfort or my choice of clothes.

Saying “older people shouldn’t wear this colour” or “fat people shouldn’t wear this style” is just the same sort of snobby, fucked fashion nazism that fuels low-self esteem, ageism, sizeism, anorexia/bulimia and a whole host of body-dysmorphic disorders.

The OP asked about “** ‘fashion’ items that look gross on most people (not just people who don’t have the ‘ideal’ supermodel shape?)**”

So let’s not slag off the right of certain people to wear “normal” items that we find acceptable on “supermodel” bodies.