Fashion that is NOT flattering

I LIKE boots with skirts. I LIKE bell bottoms.

Oh well…to each his own!

I love cropped pants. And I wear them with sandals.

Oh well, can’t please everyone.

speaking as a sexist guy for a moment… tank tops: way sexy already. Tank tops with bra strap showing: even better.
I know you’re going for comfort, not to be sexy, but facts are facts. :slight_smile: (and we are talking about what is or isn’t flattering)

This one puzzles me greatly: I’ve seen them in the mall, everywhere, yet never actually seens someone wear them: Scrunchies made of what seems to be human hair. Or perhaps it blends in so well (ha!) that I’ve seen it and not noticed. Whatever… gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Can I second those who hate flood pants (and all those trendy, in-between lengths you see women wearing now). But I’ve noticed something even more horrifying: mid-calf-length cutoff jeans. Huckleberry Finn pants! God, please, bring back Daisy Dukes!

And on the subject of shorts, I notice it’s extremely difficult to find men’s shorts any shorter than what my 16-y.o. nephew would wear, i.e. past the knee. I was looking for some workout shorts in Target not long ago, and they were all just about NBA uniform length. Same with trunks. It seems if you’re a guy you can either choose to bare almost all and wear a Speedo, or else wear trunks so long you might as well be swimming in your Dockers. There’s no in-between.

I used to cringe at the bra strap thing, but I’m getting used to it, if the bra isn’t all gray and raveled or funky looking.

Hate boots with an above-the-knee skirt, but I like them with longer skirts.

Like the low-cut jeans, as long as they’re not the REALLY low ones. Just an inch or so below the belly button is good.

Hate the short top with a roll of belly hanging out.

Love a see-thru top with a tank top under it.

Hate “dress” flipflops. It’s a contradiction in terms.

Regarding the tank top/bra strap debate, I think that it does look more FLATTERING (see thread title) to either hide them with a wider tank top strap or wear a pretty bra. To say it’s not flattering is no judgement on a person’s character. At most, it’s a comment on their taste in tank top/bra styles. Here at the college where I work, lots of girls show their bras and, because they do it with an eye towards the bra looking nice, it’s flattering.

I would also like to comment that a wider strap on a tank top is not going to significantly cause anyone to feel hotter in hot climates.

Someone mentioned tankinis. I guess it could be true that they aren’t flattering, but they sure are convenient. I have many scars on my body and love that I can now go to the bathroom with ease when I am at the beach or at someone’s pool.

Caricci, thank you for your succinct statement.

Annoying: picked up some widestrap tanktops the other day for just this reason! The straps are so placed that I STILL cannot wear a bra under em.

Argh.

Uh, some of us don’t have much choice. I have a couple that have the built in bras that almost work if I don’t move too much, but at a large D, I’m not going around braless because the strap annoys someone.

When it gets to be 100 degrees in the summer here, my other option is heat stroke. Sorry to repeat myself so soon, but I’m not going to overheat myself because someone doesn’t like a strap.

Ok, last time, I swear. I should have just done all these in one post.

I have one of those tankinis. You know why? I’ve yet to find a one piece that doesn’t either sag in the ass or cut off circulation in my chest, as I’m proportioned a little… unusually. And I don’t have the figure for a bikini. So I buy a tankini, because then I can get enough coverage to not look like utter shit, and I can get the pieces seperate so they both at least come close to fitting me. Just thought I’d point out an actual functionality reason people might have those…

Personally, I hate all the clothes that use those hideous 1960’s & 70’s psychedelic prints. For example, the print might be a hot pink, mint green, and rust-colored paisley print. There are few things more irritating, fashionwise, than seeing a great-cut garment made of those hideous prints! Sorry Mr. With-It Designer, but they are not sexy and they are not fun. They are gross and unflattering.

Well.

Far be it from me to criticize anyone’s taste in clothing, no matter how appalling it may be. The way I figure it, the worse they look, the better I’ll look, in comparison!

Where I come from, they are called “do-rags,” as in, a rag for your 'do (short for hairdo). They work by causing kinky hair to lie down, which makes the kinks look like waves. I’ve never do-rags on white guys, though one might argue that a mullet hairstyle is a version of it. :stuck_out_tongue:

A-freakin’-men.

Here’s another woman – 40DD, by the way – who wears a bra with tank tops. But the bras I wear are usually the “racer-back” style, which sort of looks like a criss-cross. The straps don’t show, and this bra style is more comfortable than the traditional ones.

Here, here. My MOM loves thigh-high boots, and she was actually in the market for leopard-print ones! She never found them. Thank God!

I second the glitter on jeans notion…yuck. Same with the slit-and-laced up the side jeans I’ve seen a lot of recently.

Also, I’m shocked to see that nobody has yet mentioned those hideous holiday sweaters some women wear—you know exactly what I’m talking about. The more pom-poms the better, usually paired with ultra-tacky holiday jewelry (light-up skeleton earrings, cutesy snowman pins, etc.)

Maybe the OP meant this to be about clothes only, but I consider make-up to be “fashion” so I have to toss my $0.02 in and say:

Blue Eye Shadow!

It was hideous when it was “in fashion” last time around, and it’s STILL hideous … blue is not a colour one should wear on one’s eyes.

For the third time, I’m big-busted too, and there are alternatives! Hello–do you wear a bra with a tube top? Why not? Wouldn’t that be cooler?

brainychick where do you get your racer-back bras?

(sorry for the hijack, but this is seriously important)