Fastening papers together

When you’ve got a multi-page document printed out, how do you fasten the pages together? Or don’t you?

Paper clip or binder clip, depending on how many papers we’re talking about.

Stapler all the way. Whatever you do, don’t do that stupid tear-and-fold trick. Staplerless students try this with their worksheets all the time, and it falls apart after you flip a page.

Staples on documents up to 12 pages or so. After that BIG staples.

When I was teaching there was nothing more infuriating than students who couldn’t get it together enough to staple or paper-clip their papers together. Handing in a bunch of unattached (or dog-eared, or “paper-stitched”) papers was rage-inducing.

The papers would inevitably come apart, get loose, and create a mess. No matter what. EVERY TIME.

When I was in college, I stapled papers. Now, I just use alligator clips.

Yeah, I am just going over a pair of memos from a meeting yesterday. The one I’d printed out is stapled, as God intended; the one from the guy I was meeting with is paper-clipped, which is what he always does. Grr.

Wow, what an exciting thread. I’m definitely glad I joined up. Maybe later we can buy some cold cuts and talk about our sons who died in the Spanish-American war.

I have the printer staple it for me.

Staples, hands down. Then a bulldog clip, if the number of sheets warrants it.

Assuming we’re talking about a document: staple, of course.

Paper clips and binder clips are for when you have several documents (or copies of the same document) that it’s convenient to keep together at least temporarily.

Not a problem: I just keep a stapler handy and immediately staple any multi-page papers before attempting to grade them.

Staple. If not possible due to size, binder clip.

Edited to add that sometimes a paperclip instead of a staple if it’s multiple sheets that are of the same nature (for example vendor invoices that I need to enter and that will be filed in separate client folders).

In college I always used to staple everything, but now that the stuff I print out is more often than not for my own perusal, definitely paper or binder clips depending on the thickness. There’s definite utility to being able to, say, put two pages of a financial report or a powerpoint next to each other and look at them at the same time, without having to rip out a staple first.

Depends on the situation. If it’s just going into a file cabinet or being mailed, I staple. If it’s a work in progress and will actually be worked on again, I paper clip.

In in-person discussions of this nature, I never fail to get a group laugh by doing my best Don LaFontaine voice of

“The paperless office… of the future!”

I prefer paper clips or binder clips, depending on how many pieces of paper. Staples are good for things that need to be stuck together permanently, but who keeps any piece of paper permanently these days? I like to be able to pull of the whatever’s holding the papers together for re-use when I toss the paper in the recycling.

I punch a hole on the pages then use a bolt with a couple of nice big washers. If I don’t have that handy, a stapler.

Ah yes. the big stapler. I heart mine: it’s invaluable for when I have a big bunch of papers that I have to keep for CYA reasons but no real expectation that I will look at them again. No chance of them falling apart and making a mess, and it’s always clear what they are.

Aside from that, it’s totally context driven: it the papers will have to be taken apart again some day, paper clip unless it’s big enough to justify the binder clip. If it’s a unified, permanent document? Stapler. If it’s a stack of papers to grade? Color coded file-folder, because that’s an easier target for the kids to hit, and because it keeps the papers nice and flat and together in my grading bag: paper clips start to have sex with each other.

A really bad-ass one, like this.

Depends. Sometimes I want to be able to take things apart easily, so I paper-clip; sometimes I want to keep things together neatly on a permanentish basis, so I staple. Here at the office, if it’s a document of any size, I’ll have our print shop bind it properly so that it’s easier to deal with than if it’s, say, binder-clipped.