Fastest Route

What is the fastest route between Rochester, New York and Hickory, North Carolina? I don’t mean computer’s route from the internet. I mean a route that someone has actually taken.

Via Airlines

One of the few to be personally welcomed to the board by Ed Zotti.

Yours truly,
aha

The airlines won’t have me.

I need a road route.

The airlines won’t have me.

I need a road route.

try http://www.mapquest.com

Flat, Find the quickest route to I-81 South. The road runs right along the crest of the Appalachians thru PA and into VA. Then it dips down into the beautiful Shenandoah Valley until you hit I-77 South in southwestern VA, just past Pulaski. Take I-77 on in to NC until you hit I-40. Go West, and Hickory is about 30 mi. It’s a gorgeous drive the whole way, and if you take more than 12 hrs, your taking too many comfort stops.

Ruth

P.S. I wasn’t out there yesterday, so don’t blame me for construction crews.

I think you can save about an hour over the I-81 route given above. I personally know the route given below, except the last 200 miles from Beckley to Hickory.

Take I-90 to Erie, Penna… Then I-79 south, past Pittsburgh and into W.Va. Follow I-79 to exit 57 in West Virginia. Take US Route 19 south. This is not an interstate, but don’t let that scare you off. It’s is a four-lane highway with no no traffic lights or stop signs. (there is cross-traffic; they have stop signs, but you don’t.) Speed limit on Rt. 19 was only 55 when I was last on it (about 7 years ago), but the cops in W.Va. are not too trigger happy with their radar guns. (I lived there for 4 years and never got stopped). Get on I-77 south (toll road, W.Va. Turnpike) near Beckley. Follow I-77 through Va. and into N.C. Then take I-40 west to Hickory.

Speed limit, I think, is 65 all the way except city areas and the 60 miles of US19. On the other route, the stretch of I-81 between Syracuse and the Pennsylvania line was 55 the last time I was on it. Pennsylvania is mostly 65 now I think, on both routes. On the eastern route there’s a slowdown to 55 between Scranton and Wilkes-Barre and a few miles on either side. Another slowdown around Harrisburg. Western route has a slowdown around Pittsburgh.

One added benefit of my route, if you’re not afraid of heights, is that it will take you over The New River Gorge Bridge.

Work is the curse of the drinking classes. (Oscar Wilde)