Favorite brand of Ginger Ale

Vernors or Ale-8-One depending on my mood.

Very different, but both very good. I used to smuggle Ale-8-One into Michigan for my brother, he loved it so much.

Wow, I’m from Michigan and I did not know there was Vernor’s root beer.

Vernor’s means Ginger Ale to me.

Oh, and here is Wikipedia’s article on Vernors.

I think that, despite the name, Canada Dry is sweeter. Of the two, I prefer Schweppes.

Vernors

+1 and an AMEN!

Quoted for Truth

Everything else… tastes wrong.

Vernor’s

When I was a kid (in Georgia) there was a brand of ginger ale that was the “hottest” that I’ve ever had. I can’t remember if it was Rolling Rock or Red Rock brand. It was wonderful.

Another vote for Reed’s

Interesting; I didn’t know they had all those flavors. I’ll have to try tracking them down.

I think you may be talking about Buffalo Rock. It’s made in Birmingham, Alabama, but it is widely available regionally. It beats the pants off anything in the OP’s poll. I don’t consider it the hottest, though. That honor, so far, goes to the old formulation for Blenheim’s Old #3. That stuff was so hot that opening the top made you cough. However, they seem to have tamed it recently. I’ve ordered it, and it doesn’t have the same sting.

Buffalo Rock has a very nice, mild burn - it’s definitely spicy. It also has a wonderful molasses-y, brown-sugary depth of flavor that rockets it well beyond the usual ginger ales.

It also makes one HELL of a fine mixer for dark likkers. :slight_smile:

Thanks! It was the hottest I’ve ever had, but all I had for comparison in those days was Canada Dry. I’ve never been much of a ginger ale drinker, but I would definitely try that one again.

I had a Vernor’s the other day. Does anybody remember it tasting stronger? Somehow it didn’t seem as strong-tasting as it did when I first had it as a kid.

Anyway, while we’re on the subject of strong ginger ale, my vote would’ve been for Blenheim’s. That stuff’s so strong, you need a chaser afterward.

Do. It’ll change your life, or at the very least, the ginger ale related aspects of your life.

No, you suck!

I’m actually going to try your recommendations because I trust your taste in liquids.

Neat! I too, love Vernors, but I also like pretty much most Ginger Ales I have tried. Ale-8 is also very good and I live right across the Ohio River from KY if I ever need a fix.

I have really swung away from any brown colas as I age, preferring 7-Up, ginger ale and the occasional grape Nehi and Orange Crush when I do drink soda (which isn’t very often anymore).

One ginger drink I’ve seen but haven’t tried is Elixir G Ginger Mix…and I haven’t tried it because it costs $9.99 for a 12oz(?) bottle!

Oh, but it sounds good:

Are there any alcoholic ginger beers? That would be interesting.

While we’re on the subject, any other Moxie drinkers out there? Do you feel they’ve changed the recipe? Moxie seems to have gotten sweeter and milder. It lacks that old Moxie edge.

Vernor’s all the way. I’m sipping one now.
mmm