Favorite Mac & Cheese hacks

Annie’s mac and cheese gives the option of plain yogurt instead of milk. I really like it with plain whole milk yogurt, but my kids won’t eat it that way. Strange, they otherwise have pretty good palates…

I prefer stovetop mac and cheese to baked. My recipe is equal parts by weight (uncooked) pasta, evaporated milk, and cheese. Cook the pasta, drain, add the rest. Perfect mac and cheese for me.

With boxed (or even the above) I like adding a can of tuna and peas to bring me back to childhood.

I like it with goat milk and goat cheese (aged for a few months). While the pasta is cooking, I make a white sauce with butter, flour and milk and mix cheese into the sauce. Optional ingredients: bits of ham and finely chopped parsely. It’s a work in progress.

how’d they know the diff unless they seen ya put it in ?

With yogurt instead of milk, it tastes tangy. They don’t like that.

Thank you so much for this link. Bookmarked.

I made mac & cheese for my nephews, according to the directions on the box, which is the same way their mother makes it, as witnessed by their father. They didn’t like it.

Tuna with oil or water? I’m thinking of trying this and adding some black olives.

The swiss variant is usually served with applesauce or sliced apples. If I make it, I usually add diced apples for the last 2-3 minutes of cooking the pasta and potatoes. Not the recipe I use, but it’s in the neighborhood.

I like to stir in a spoonful or two of Bovril to give it a nice meaty flavor.

WATER! Drained. And olives always ruin everything.

I’ve made M&C with goat’s cheese and milk. I added some sauteed minced onion, garlic, and chives to the mix. The sauce was delicious and creamy.

I served this to one of my girlfriends when she stayed over. All she said was “Meat is better.”

That relationship didn’t last long.

No milk in mine as I’m lactose intolerant but dark beer, mature cheddar and couple of eggs.

I put my hack in the progenitor thread, but I’ll summarize here because I’m compelled to:

To Kraft dinner ingredients, add half & half instead of milk, grated 4 year old cheddar, sliced velveeta, sour cream, msg, chipotle tabasco.

Oh, and some onion powder is nice too.

Here’s a nice mac and cheese cone to enjoy also. With bacon!

Nothing to add that hasn’t been said, but I always find myself singing, ala “Nights in White Satin,” Shells in white cheddar…never reaching the boil…

When making the boxed stuff with the cheese powder (and not the sauce), once it’s mixed up, I melt in a slice of American cheese to give it a smoother, creamier texture. I’ll mix in or top with some crispy fried onions if I have them.

I have a Mac & cheese-based revelation for what to make for dinner tonight.

First, I have to explain the m&c recipe I normally use, which is a copycat of a Mac & cheese that’s kind of locally famous, made by the Clarkston Union restaurant group. This m&c was featured on an episode of ‘Diners, Drive-ins and Dives’ that Kid Rock guest-hosted on. The copycat version I make is a huge hit with my family.

Here’s how to make it: dice up some onion and garlic fine. Cook it with 4 tablespoons of butter, then add 4 tablespoons of flour to make a roux. Add 2 to 3 cups of warmed milk and cream. Stir in 1 cup each of shredded sharp cheddar and grated Parmesan. Add pepper, a little salt and a dash of nutmeg. Let mixture cool.

Boil a box of penne pasta noodles to al dente or almost al dente. Mix with cheese sauce. Add to a pan large enough to hold everything in 2 layers. After layer 1 put more cheese on top. Slices of Michigan Pinconning are good if you have them, or white cheddar. Add second layer. Add more cheese on top, maybe more sharp cheddar. Add Panko (Japanese breadcrumbs) on top of everything. Bake at 425 for 20-30 minutes, until sauce is bubbling and panko is golden brown.

So that’s the normal recipe. Today I’m planning to make some chicken stock from scratch, and was wondering what to make from the stock for dinner. Then I thought of the Shameful Culinary thread and eureka! I think I am going to make Mac & Cheese & Chicken (MCC). Instead of the milk and cream in the recipe above, I’ll add the good from-scratch bone broth I’m making, and mix in some leftover chicken from a whole chicken I’m using to make the stock. All else will be the same as the above recipe.

Is this a good idea? Or will it be a waste of otherwise good ingredients? I feel like it’s not too crazy— roux plus chicken stock is what I do to make a gumbo, but the addition of cheese is a bit of a wildcard. Feel free to talk me out of this in the next several hours if this is crazy talk.

This thread is brilliant!

My modest “hack” (but let’s please abolish the word “hack” from the planet except when referring to computer stuff or when chopping something brutally into pieces) is a variation on this one:

Microwave one package of Stouffer’s frozen mac and cheese halfway till stirrable, then stir in an envelope of tuna, and a handful of frozen peas, mixed veggies, or the like. Nuke the rest of the way.

I used to love Stouffer’s frozen Welsh rarebit-- fantastic cheese sauce. Poured over toast topped with sliced tomato and crisp bacon. I never see that product any more. It has vanished like all fave products of the past, whether food, cosmetic, cleaning, you name it. I like it —> it’s gone.

I used to love that Stouffer’s Welsh Rarebit too. I would just nuke it and pour it over sourdough bread. Haven’t seen it in ages.

As far as mac & cheese goes, Buffalo sauce, blue cheese, and crispy cooked bacon. Mmm…

Boursin with chives added to the cheese sauce.

I like a topping of spelt crumbs, sprinkled over an extra layer of grated cheddar cheese and grated parmigiano. Occasionally I also add a pinch of ground cloves and cumin to the cheese sauce.

As it happens, that’s what we’re making for dinner tonight. We have roast ham that will be diced into itsy pieces, sauteed with chopped shallots and mushrooms and a generous amount of garlic and fresh ginger. The cheese sauce is made from scratch with a butter and flour roue, milk and a mixture of grated cheddar and mozzarella cheeses. We use whole wheat macaroni, throw it all together in a casserole dish and bake for about 30 minutes.

Most of the time when I make this, it is when I want a lot of carbs and calories without much fuss. So my hack depends on my energy level.

Easy hacks: shredded cheese, cream, chopped ham or spicy sausage, chives, garlic and onion powder

Medium hacks: ground beef, chili, taco spices or sauce, grilled onions and garlic, diced bacon, peppers, basil, surimi, herbes de Provence

Occasional hacks: lobster, homemade pesto or rich stock, turkey (seasonal), crema, roast vegetable leftovers, fancy cheeses, shrimp, Chinese BBQ pork, beef satay, top layer of panko or good quality toasted homemade bread

Yup, especially cream top yogurt. Li’l bit of butter too.

Put frozen peas right in the colander that you’re draining the mac into, and then stir them around in the mac’n’cheese, and they’re plenty cooked by the time you come to eat them.