Favorite Muppet Show moments

John Cleese in flamenco sleeves… it’s hilarious.

Fozzie: Hey, Kermit, Kermit! This bunch of cows loves me. I’m a hit!
Kermit: Not bunch, herd.
Fozzie: Heard of what?
Kermit: Herd of cows.
Fozzie: Sure I heard of cows! Aah!
Kermit: No, I mean the cow’s herd.
Fozzie: Of course they heard. I was talking right to them.

:smack:

…oh yea, and the one with Orson Wells’ finger pointing

They ran that clip on TV many, many, years ago. The documentary it was a part of gave me a bit of appreciation for the way they did the set to make it work.

My daughter made a language video which was set in a class with five kids, a teacher, and a muppet-like character as the sixth kid. (The puppeteers worked on the old Nick show Eureka’s Castle.) It was amazing to watch them work. Even when one of them used a hand instead of the puppet, it was pretty convincing, they kept in character so well.

I figured if anyone could get the last two seasons out, it would be the Mouse.

Cigarettes, Whiskey and Wild Women from the same episide.

It always seemed to me that the Muppet Show was fastest half hour on TV but the Star Wars ep was among the best.

[quote=“runner pat, post:7, topic:523274”]

Harry Belafonte -Turn the World Around/quote]

The entire Harry Belafonte episode was just pure gold. “Turn the World Around” was great, as was “The Banana Boat Song” (Fozzie: “Beauregard is going to get the the bananas. Trust me”. Belafonte: “That’s what you said the last time.”) and the Belafonte vs. Animal drum contest. Pure gold.

Banana Boat Song

Drum contest.
My favorite Muppet Show one liner: “Animal bowls overhand.”

You can have a favorite?

It is a terrible, terrible shame that this show only lasted for five seasons.

In addition, they were unable to revive it. I remember seeing Muppets Tonight and it barelyt lasted two years if memory serves.

I came in to mention that one.

Earlier in the same episode, Sellers told Kermit, “I do not exist…There was a me, but I had it surgically removed.” Time magazine later quoted that line in their obituary of Sellers, as a comment on his career.

I also have fond memories of Miss Piggy and Raquel Welch singing “I Enjoy Being a Girl” while destroying the set.

Too bad Keith Moon didn’t live long enough to go on the show-now THAT’s a drum duel I’d pay to see!

That was Cheryl Ladd, not Raquel Welch. Oh, and she was awesome.

I liked Debbie Harry singing “Call Me.”

It’s all good. I love the secondary humor like the line from the Muppet Wizard of Oz “Somebody’s gonna get witch-slapped”. It’s great when multiple levels of humor are used on family oriented shows.

I don’t know about that. Nothing Henson did after that was nearly as successful, so it might have gone downhill. Plus, according to wiki:

Maybe he realized he was getting stale. Maybe he was just tired of it, and that would’ve shown in the shows. In any case, we have over 100 great shows. That’s really rare. Old showbiz saying: “Always leave them wanting more.”

The new show was done without Henson, who had died six years earlier.

The REAL shame is that Henson died because he didn’t go to the doctor and get treated for something a routine course of antibiotics would’ve whacked in short order.

Other than “all of them?” I was working on a home theater and noticed that the architect had put Statler and Waldorf in a box at stage right.

Five moments, really: the telephone running gag from a first season episode.

Still, I remember really liking the new show, and I wish it had been more successful.

I’m fond of Jabberwocky. (Clearly the Mome Raths are the children of Miss Piggy and Kermit, visiting from the future.)

Oh, and can’t forget Hugga Wugga.

Jim Henson and Frank Oz at their peak: “Good grief, the comedian’s a bear!”