Favorite poster or posters from your youth

I had a movie-theater sized poster for the movie Close Encounters of the Third Kind, a large satellite photo montage of the earth from National Geographic, & a sort-of artsy painting of a girl & an eagle swirled together - probably from Spencer Gifts in the mall - the crown jewel of poster stores during that time.

Now - If I had the room & the choice, I’d have Classic Movie posters adorning my walls - at least the TV room.

:stuck_out_tongue: yerself!! No, I actually spent money on them. I had a cousin who was a travel agent, but she lived in Colorado and I lived in Maryland so I didn’t get any goodies from her, drat it all!

Eve, you vixen! Now I’m having dirty thoughts about Bobby Sherman that I thought layed deep within the quagmire of my girlish youth. And I feel guilty for ‘cheating’ on David Cassidy.

Mmm, Bobby Sherman!:slight_smile:

I actually had a poster of the band ** Faster Pussycat**. I had a thing for guys in eyeliner back then. I liked the poster so much it moved with me when I got married. Then when I moved back home…well I had it until my last move when it got ripped. Of course as I got older the poster no longer had the best wallspace, I hid it in my closet for years :slight_smile:

I had a Frazetta poster of three Vikings duking it out w. swords and axes, with the Matterhorn looming behind them. Later, in college, I had the Barry Smith “Pandora” poster.

Now I have a big Frida Kahlo poster, the one with the monkeys.

Well, if 19 still counts as my youth, then here’s what I’ve got now:
[ul]
[li]'79 Porsche 930 Turbo[/li][li]Lamborghini Countach[/li][li]Automag RT- it’s a paintball gun I used to use, but the poster’s coming down as soon as I can decide between Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs. Now that I say that, I realized I should just find a Big Lebowski one.[/li][li]LOTR:TTT[/li][li]JT Paintball [/li][li]Metallica-Master of Puppets[/li][li]Lithograph of Marvin the Martian calling the crashed Roswell aliens “amatuers”[/li][li]Bulletin board (background is a map of the USA) with some phone numbers, a xerox of my hands (my mom has a collection of them from when I was about 3, don’t know why these are in my room), picture of a McLaren F1LM, two comic strips[/li][/ul]
To go up: two White Sox pennants and another Metallica poster-…And Justice for All.

AACK! Posting at 3:45 in the AM doesn’t help accuracy at all.
I meant to note that the Marvin the Martian thing is my favorite. My dad got it when he was in Roswell in '97, which just so happens to be the 50th anniversary of the UFO crash.

My favorite is pretty much obsolete now. The first word was done in stars and stripes. The second was in red, with a white star on each letter; the C was a hammer-and-sickle. It said, “FUCK COMMUNISM!”

I was a little music yaya in my youth, so had pretty much papered my room with all kinds of music posters, heavy on David Bowie and Frank Zappa photos. I painted the cover of Bowie’s Aladdin Sane on my wall. Had the Mucha JOB poster,( the “head” poster) ;well, quite a limited selection down South. Also, Toulouse Lautrec’s Aristide Bruant poster, pretty easily had those days. My fave was a "Levy’s Bread " poster, subway-sized, from a trip to NYC. mumblemumble about obtaining it … it had a smiling Af-American boy with lit up eyes eating Levy’s Bread. They had a big ad campaign at the time to show how Levy’s Bread was for everyone.

When young and innocent, I had the “Hang In There, Baby!” poster of a kitten hanging on a limb. That was everywhere in the 70’s. And, my Mom had two posters on our basement family room walls, also icons of the time; “Beep beep, My Ass!”; Wiley Coyote with the Roadrunner by the neck, and an R. Crumb “Keep On Trucking!” poster. Both obtained during Mom’s post-divorce period during the Summer of Love in San Francisco.

As an aside to Eve, Thanks for the Mucha memories, and site. If you still like that style, one of my sweet NOLA girlfriends has a nice series of posters, Mardi Gras themed.

Thanks,FairyChatMom for a swell trip down Memory Lane.

I had a poster that said This vacation, visit beautiful Vietnam. My mother didn’t like the violence, so one day it disappeared. I also had the famous Farrah poster. My mother didn’t like the nipple, so one day it disappeared.

Well, at least you got to keep the rest of the poster.

Who would want the Farrah poster without the nipple?

:smiley:

I’m kinda reassured that at least 2 of you have admitted to having Bobby Sherman on your wall, but am I really the only sick puppy that had Sajid Kahn and Desiderata on my walls? :confused:

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story…
the rest of Desiderata
take a deep breath, hold it…hold it…now let it out slowly :cool:

No posters as a kid. I had a mini-poster of Cat Stevens in my locker at school. In my cube at work I used to have a poster of Monet’s Waterlilies with the words: “Let everything about you breathe the calm and peace of the soul” under the painting.

StG

I LOVE Monet’s Waterlilies :slight_smile:

Kathy

Wish I had a copy of this right now.

Welcome to the boards!

This thread is ancient. All the people who have ever posted in it are dead. We tend not to resurrect such threads out of respect for the fact we can’t do the same for their participants.

Hey, I started this thread way back when and I’m still quite alive, TYVM! :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, like I’m supposed to believe people on the internet when they make claims about themselves. ‘I’m a doctor.’ ‘I’m a genius.’ ‘I’m alive.’ Pheh, liars, the lot of you.

I had a poster of the “Lost in Space” cast on the Jupiter 2’s upper deck in their silver spacesuits. (In B&W)

Later, I had a poster of one of the “Night Gallery” paintings–“House - With Ghost.”