Favorite Simpsons "visual only" moments

I was just reminded of one today. In the episode where Marge becomes a cop, Homer puts police tape around Flanders’ house, and when Flanders returns he thinks something awful has happened to his family. I’m sure many (most?) of you remember how it goes, so I won’t bother describing it. The deadly serious stare Homer suddenly gives to Flanders after finishing laughing at his prank is great.

*points at *Maus Magill ** and Lord Ashtar

THEY started it!
flees

I like the episode where Krusty is finished watching Itchy and Scratchy, and begins missing his father on air, and begins to babble about how cute Itchy looks with his father… there is a space of maybe one or two seconds where his eyes turn pink and his lips tremble madly before he cuts to a commercial - gold, I tells ya!

I like how one of Apu’s octuplets has Sanjay’s hairline.

Two words:

Squeaky Farms

My ex-boyfriend and I laughed so hard after seeing Chief Wiggum burst into that room that we couldn’t hear the rest of the episode.

The scene in “Homer and Apu” where Apu is tip-toeing around and flapping his hands when he thought he was a hummingbird.

In “Homer the Heretic”, I love the scene where Ned Flanders attempts to save Homer from a fire. They can’t get out downstairs, so Ned drags Homer’s body upstairs. He throws a mattress onto the ground outside and pushes Homer out the window. Homer bounces on the mattress and back into the house. Ned sighs, leaps, and bounces into the house from the mattress.

Oh, and I second the gradual look Homer gives when he picks the “dud” card.
“Hey, he looks like you Poindexter!”

Just saw “Marge vs the Monorail” again. When the celebrities are showing for the inaugural run, the “teen sensation” guy walks past the camera and smiles only to reveal a ton of wrinkles.

When Maggie gets dropped into the teflon wok at Stoner’s Pot Palace.

I won’t be able to do this justice, but the scene when Bart and Lisa tell Homer and Marge that they want to go to Itchy and Scratchy Land, and Marge enthusiastically tells them that instead they’re going to some wildlife sanctuary.

Bart and Lisa are dumbfounded, unable to say anything, and the open mouthed gape that they respond with always cracks me up.

In the introduction, when Lisa is playing the sax and starts jazzing up, gets thrown out of the band, and goes boppin’ out the door. :slight_smile:

DAMN! You beat me to it! That is my favorite as well. Truly amazing work by the animators there.

Two Itchy & Scratchy moments—

First, from “Steamboat Itchy”—when Itchy pulls Scratchy’s charred skull out of a steamboat’s boiler. Mainly works because they did such a good job, otherwise, of making it look like a 1930s cartoon.

Next, from “Scratchtasia,” when Scratchy chops the magical Itchy clones into an harmless atomized pulp, and breathes a sigh of relief…not realizing that he’s inhaling whats left of the Itchys, which enter his bloodstream and transform from mere molecules into millions of cell-sized Itchys, which start hacking apart his body from within, causing Scratchy to just kind of…decompose. Kinda like the Nazi in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. :eek: :cool:

IMHO, the single greatest Simpson’s visual joke is in “Twenty-Two Short Film about Springfield”. Chief Wiggum is crossing a street in front of Snake’s car, and recognizes him. Snake floors it, sending Wiggum flying over the hood, and knocks over a mailbox. A geyser of mail comes out of the sidewalk like it was a fire hydrant, and random children run over to play in it. Brilliant.

In Last Exit to Springfield, Mr. Burns cuts off the town’s power supply as punishment for a worker’s strike. He then goes out on the balcony of his office with Smithers, cocks his ear, and hears the strikers singing (“Oh we work day and night by the big cooling tower. They have the plant, but we have the power.”)
Burns grabs Smithers by the collar and goes into his Grinch tribute (“Look at them all through the darkness I’m bringing. They’re not sad at all; they’re actually singing!”) The look on Smithers’ face as Burns says this is EXACTLY the same as the Grinch’s little dog. Outstanding!

I like all of the times when something bumps into something else and bursts into flames.

Speaking of…In Homer the Smithers I love the part where Homer is attempting to make Mr. Burns breakfast. All of his attempts keep bursting into flames. Finally he pours milk over some corn flakes and that bursts into flames as well.

The expression on Homer and Bart’s faces when they find out that “Paint Your Wagon” isn’t the Clint Eastwood Lee Marvin shoot 'em up they had expected.

Yeah, it was a lame clip show, but that one scene almost made up for that.

Okay, I’m sorry, thanks for bringing up this clip, but I have to be nitpicky and annoying here: :smiley:

Is there any clear visual (or other) clue that the smallest Itchies are ‘atomized’ and ‘mere molecules’?? Because I had always assumed that they had only been reduced to about cell-sized or thereabouts… a quantity of fairly dry cell-sized particles would be inhalable, right? :slight_smile:

I was told there would be no math.

Sorry—I used “atomized” as a mere figure of speech, and ‘mere molecules’ was probably an overstatement—we see the Itchy particles in one of those “microscope views” of a circulatory system, traveling through Scratchy’s blood vessels. Although they transform from something that looked like “molecules,” they indeed would have been too big to be molecules, seeing as how close in size they were to the cells in scratchy’s body. Mea culpa.

Oh, but chrisk, for pointing out my mistake, you just made the list! :mad:

:wink:

“Jane Fonda, Daniel Shore, Jack Anderson…” Hey, this is Richard Nixon’s enemies list! You just crossed out his name and put yours!

Itchy’s the mouse and Scratchy’s the cat. You can remember this because “Scratchy” has c-a-t in it. (Or at least that’s how Groening tells it, anyway.)

• Flanders and Marge are in a musical version of “A Streetcar Named Desire” (simply called “Streetcar!” IIRC), and Flanders (playing Stanley Kowalski) rips his shirt off, revealing that he’s as buff and toned as anyone could ever possibly hope to be.

• Mr. Burns and Smithers are going into the depths of the Springfield nuclear power plant, passing through extraordinarily tight security. When they reach the vault in the very most sensitive core of the plant, there’s a screen door banging in the wind, open to the outside, and Burns has to shoo a stray dog out of the room.

• The giant Mayan sculpture, a gift from Mr. Burns, that we see from time to time in the Simpsons’ basement. (Well, where else would they put it?)