Favorite Super-Villians

Dear Mojo:
Who, or what, the hell is Dr. Colossus?

My favorite was Doomsday who killed Superman. Indestructible pure power, he just kicked everyone’s ass with one hand tied behind his back. The coolest part is he had no ego or motivation to get in the way, he couldn’t be tricked or trapped. He was just out to destroy things and didn’t care if Superman was there or not.

Also Amon Goeth from Schindler’s List, taking potshots at the Jews in the camp. Sits on his deck and kills them just because them were in his sights. Very evil.

On a personal preference, the monster Destroyer from my favorite Godzilla movies. Godzilla’s son beats Destroyer. Destroyer them becomes a stronger form and makes a bee-line right for the now-overmatched son, then smashes and kills him right in front of Godzilla.

“It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in an argument” - William McAdoo

Okay, does anyone remember Jughead’s Time Police? It was only about six issues (I hope; otherwise my collection’s lacking). It turns out that Jughead’s beanie is actually a time travel device that lets him think his way through time (turns out he got it from himself in the last issue). Through this ability he could totally screw up time by leaving it on while dreaming (first issue) as could his dog Hot Dog upon stealing the beanie (3rd or 4th iss; can’t remember which). And he could have a relationship with January McAndrews, Archie’s descendant from the future!

Anyway his enemy was Morgana LeFay (whose witchlike powers in the old legend came from the fact that she was a time traveller from the future who stole technology from the even more distant future). In the last issue she went back in time to attack Jughead when he was a little boy; she was such a threat that Jughead couldn’t handle it alone; he had to go hopping around in time to get the help of two other Jugheads!

Um, anyway, another favorite bad guy:

Loga from Philip Jose Farmer’s Riverworld series. This guy was basically in charge of an entire planet populated by every human who ever lived. He started a whole religion to suit his race’s plans. He would go in and actually disguise himself as major historical figures. Granted, he was acting on behalf of his own race (the Ethicals), but this was one serious hands-on bad guy.

I tsab u?

“I’m just too much for human existence – I should be animated.”
–Wayne Knight

I’m just going to talk about villains who haven’t been mentioned by anyone yet. Firstly, I’d have to say that in terms of pure evil, Loki from Sandman is more villainous than anyone yet mentioned. I mean, he’s evil personified! The Furies ( oops I meant the Kindly ones ) are scary as hell, but they’re more a force of nature than proper villains.

My hands-down favorite would have to be Mr. Gone from The Maxx. Here is a truly deranged villain: an evil wizard who can’t decide whether he wants to help his daughter and goddaughter, ( who he seems to have genuine affection toward, ) or if he just wants to be a serial killer. He gets decapitated, but doesn’t die. His rotting head ( having just been sewn back on ) is crushed, but he still doesn’t die. ( “The really sad thing is, that didn’t kill me. It just really, really, really, really, HURT!” ) He comes back to haunt the protagonists in the Outback ( the alternate universe in which the characters exist as alter egos and from which Gone derives his powers ) and, at the end, as a gelatinous mass ( I finally got to use those words in a sentance! Yes! ) of rotting goo, his last physical remains come back to answer the final mysteries of the story. And that’s not even counting the Hooly. . .

But none of this is relevant if you haven’t read the book. Read The Maxx now!!! Sam Kieth is God, being a just-freaking-incredible artist as well as one of the best writers I’ve ever read ( comic book or otherwise. ) I can’t gush enough about it. Sorry about getting off topic, but what are you doing here? Go read The Maxx!

“Oh we were brought up on the Space-Race, now they expect us to clean toilets. When you have seen how big the world is how can you make do with this?”
Pulp, “Glory Days”

Do any Straight Dopers consider Moose Mason (of the Archie comics) a villain? Every guy who Moose thinks is “making time with muh gurrl Midge” winds up beaten in a heap on the floor or sidewalk. Isn’t that villainous?

Dear Dougie:
Depends upon what she does in bed. If she swallows and takes it in the rear, then I have to answer a resounding “Hell, no!”

I gotta say Alexis Carrington of Dynasty was my all time favorite. I wanna be just like that bitch when I grow up.

“Only when he no longer knows what he is doing, does the painter do good
things.” --Edgar Degas

Mojo Jojo

Magnificent to behold - Greatly to be praised.

From the “Who Shot Mr. Burns?” (pt. 2) of The Simpsons. Waylon Smithers is in jail, explaining why he shot Mr. Burns:
Smithers: And when he tried to steal our sunlight, he crossed that line between everyday villainy and cartoonish super-villainy.
Colossus: {[in adjacent prison cell] Bah! He was a rank amateur compared to Dr. Colossus! [laughs maniacally]

FIrst, I’d have to agree with everyone who said “Dr. Doom” and add a few of my own

-Spider-Man’s nemeses Dr. Octopus, Venom, and Mysterio
-Bullseye( Daredevil’s arch enemy)
-Batman’s foe Scarecrow
-Dr. Habbibal Lecter ( Not really a SUPER-villian per se, but one evil dude nonetheless. And smart as all hell.)
-Dr. Clayton Forrester( I can’t resist-hs endless supply of bad movies makes him one of the most dangerous men on the planet
-Zorak( from Space Ghost)

“Boy, sure wish we had one o’ them Doomsday devices”-Gen. Turginson, Dr. Strangelove

I would have to say that Never-Washes-His-Hands-After-Improperly-Wiping-Man is definitely scary.

I should also say that Burnup’s naming of Mojo Jojo makes the creepy PPG fanatic inside of me very happy.

Mystique

but I bet you old people dont know who that is. shes from x-men and she like trained rogue or something, I dunno, but she was a shapeshifter and BLUE!! GO LOOK AT MY MAYOR McCHEESE THING!!

My votes:
Kevin Smith’s version of Mysterio for totally mindfucking a normally pretty with it hero in the latest Daredevil run.
Unicron from the Transformers movie was a big ol can of whup ass.
Gargamel - There can’t be enough meat on a smurf to justify the trouble he went through to try and eat one. Must be some weird ass wizard delicacy.

http://www.madpoet.com
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

The original Megatron, from the 1st gen. Transformers. Powerful, science genius, devious & genuinely brave in the face of the heroes.

Starscream on seeing the Dinobots for the first time:[panicy voice] " What are those things?!? "

Megatron replies: “Scrap metal, once we’re through with them!”

A simple philosophy, that; but possessing the advantage of being easily remembered.

YO-HO, ME HEARTIES! ALL HANDS ON DECK FOR THE MUSICAL BATTLE AT SEA!

Dear MadPoet:
To my mind, trying to kill a smurf does not make one a super-villian; it makes one a hero.
Go Gargamel!

Armed, dangerous…
and off my medication.

Trying to limit myself to those not already named:

These guys were not that great in and of themselves, but I always liked the “Superhero fights Supervillain with essentially the same powers” trick, so Sinestro, Black Adam, Professor Zoom, and this month’s escapee from the Phantom Zone generally made for decent stories.

Ultraman, Owlman, Power Ring and the other two whose names I forget from Earth-3.

He’s been mentioned, but I also have to say: Darkseid.

(Yeah, yeah, I’m a DC fanboy, deal with it)

What about the Corinthian from the “Sandman”, he was pretty creepy in his first incarnation and he kicks Loki’s ass in his second.

Darth Vader had all the best lines in Star Wars: “Apology accepted”, “I find your lack of faith disturbing”, and “your powers are weak, old man”.

And how about Sauron in the Similrillion?

er… that should be Simarillion

I have nothing against DC Fanboys, torq.
While we’re on the subject, I believe I and everybody else have forgotten Anton Arcane from The Swamp Thing. What a bastard.

647: The Corinthian was a chilling figure, indeed. However, I never thought of it as a super-villian in its second appearance. If anyone ever needed his neck broken, it was Loki.