Favourite comedy film of all time?

The Big Lebowski
Princess Bride
Young Frankenstein
Cannonball Run
Blazing Saddles

I have to say that I also think Sabrina (with Audrey Hepburn) is one of the best films ever. I didn’t say anything about it in this thread because even though it has a few comedic moments, I never considered it to be a comedy - not even close to being a comedy. But it was a great film and I often point to that film as an “almost perfect” movie. By that I mean that from the moment it begins until the moment it ends, I feel that it “gripped” me and kept me in my seat (meaning it kept my attention riveted on the film). I attribute that to a combination of the writer, director, editor and some of the actors - most especially the director. I have forgotten who directed it. But I’d guess Billy Wilder or that other great director with the German name?

Sorry for the riddle. But I don’t want to look it up. I just want to try and make the point that a great director can often make for a great film and as I recall, that was certainly the case for Sabrina. Out of respect for your post, I will watch it again tonight and I thank you very much for reminding me just what a great film it is.

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Thank you! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

P.S. I looked up Sabrina (1954) and saw that I was correct about the director. The other director I was thinking of was either Ernst Lubitsch or Elia Kazan.

Many of my favorites were already mentioned, so I will go for one of mine that has not been mentioned so far.
Ghostbusters.

**Airplane! **

(Plus a bunch of Marx Brothers movies tied for second)

Oh, and 1776–yes, I know it’s more of a dramedy than a comedy, but some of the lines in it are hysterical. “I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace; that two become a law firm and that three or more become a Congress.” (Bonus points because the real John Adams actually said it, although not, IIRC, about the Continental Congress.)

History of the World Part I (Part II was really lame)…

Madame DeFarge: We are so poor, we do not even have a language! Just this stupid accent!
Fellow Revolutionist: She’s right, she’s right! We all talk like Maurice Chevalier!
[impersonates the Chevalier laugh]
Fellow Revolutionist: Au-haw-haw.
Crowd: Au-haw-haw.

Happy, Texas

also worth seeing:

Sleeper
Annie Hall
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie

The Thin Man

Animal House

W. C. Field’s It’s A Gift.

Jack Benny’s To Be Or Not To Be.

Both are brilliant and funny as heck.

Babette’s Feast

Harvey. For the Pulitzer Prize-winning script, and Josephine Hull’s amazing, Oscar-winning performance.

The Sting. Or if that doesn’t count as a comedy, Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery.

**Borat ** had me in tears much of the time. Good tears.

(Bruno, only once – the Mexican chairs.)

And, a shout-out to the Fraser/Hurley remake of Bedazzled.

The Russians Are Coming, the Russians Are Coming
Noises Off
Oscar
A Fish Called Wanda

Mine, too. Spaceballs is one stride behind them.

The Jerk

“First I get my name in the phone book and now I’m on your ass. You know, I’ll bet more people see that than the phone book.”

Sean Of The Dead & Hot Fuzz.

The Party - Peter Sellers at his best, directed by Blake Edwards.

I hope you won’t feel that I am attacking your opinion. But I certainly do disagree.

I first saw The Party when I was about 17 years old and, at that time, it seemed to me that the movie was one physical joke repeated ad nauseum.

I saw it again many years later in order to see if my opinion had changed in all that time. But my opinion had not changed. I think it contained one physical joke and that same joke was repeated many times but was not particularly funny the first time it was presented and just kept getting less funny ever time after that.

I had a very strong negative reaction to this movie both times that I saw it. I strongly felt it sucked real badly.