Favourite comedy film of all time?

Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

The most I’ve ever laughed at any movie would be In the Loop, it was just so unexpectedly, perfectly funny!

If I’m forced to choose only one, I’ll say Airplane!

If I can name others, I’ll add: Life of Brian, South Park: Bigger Longer and Uncut, Johnny Dangerously and All of Me.

Yep. Saw it on stage, too and even funnier.

Raising Arizona.
(drops mike)

Young Frankenstein, followed closely by Fargo.

So many to pick from, but, since it’s FAVORITE, and not Best or Funniest…

Arsenic and Old Lace with Cary Grant and Peter Lorre.

BRINGING UP BABY, with Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn and a pet leopard.

Spoiler that shit, man!

Another vote for Buster Keaton–perhaps my favorite movie ever.

My favorite comedy film of all time is Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988)

It stars Michael Caine, Steve Martin and Glenne Headly.

It also features a number of female actors including Frances Conroy (remember her from Six Feet Under? She played the mother). Do you know Dana Ivey or Meagen Fay? It features both of them.

I usually don’t like Steve Martin in movies or at least, I don’t like him very much. But in this film he is a great foil for Michael Caine.

I can’t really describe exactly why I love this film so much and why I think it is so wonderful. I just hope that if you have never seen it before that you will give it a chance.

It is a wonderful, wonderful movie and if you enjoy it just a tiny bit as much as I do, then I will be very happy to have posted this recommendation.

At this point, what difference does it make?*

*No, that was not a movie title. :wink:

Airplane!
There’s Something About Mary

Did you know it’s virtually a frame-by-frame remake of this movie? :dubious:

This once led to a hilarious fuckup on Minneapolis’s KITN (Channel 29): They aired half the movie before somebody caught on and changed the stationbreak graphic from Dirty Rotten Scoundrels to Bedtime Story.

I think it may have something to do with when you saw this movie and what other films you had seen before watching this one.

I’m trying to avoid saying that it has something to do with one’s age because I really don’t think that is the key reason. But I do believe it has something to do with where this film fits into your movie going experiences and with which films you have seen before or since seeing this one.

I know that probably doesn’t make a whole Hell of a lot of sense. But it’s the best I can do.

FWIW, I really didn’t think it was all that great either. I think that much of the humor depends on your experiences. It also probably depends on how one feels about Marilyn Monroe. I have always been fascinated with her and so that probably makes the movie seem a lot better to me than it might seem to people who don’t particularly love her.

Oh well, what 'cha gonna do? This boy just can’t help himself when it comes to MM. Sigh. She is a unique individual and I am hopelessly captivated by her appeal. IMHO, there has never been anyone like her before she first appeared and I can’t recall ever seeing another lady like her ever since she died. Heartbreaking. Just heartbreaking.

Depends what you mean by “film” - the short Dinner For One is the greatest comedy film.

If it has to be a proper full movie, Withnail and I… will do:
"Balls! We want the finest wines available to humanity. And we want them here, and we want them now! "

Oh my, Terentii!

I had no idea. I had never heard of Bedtime Story before and I cannot thank you enough for that lead. I will def try to watch it ASAP.

Thank you so much for that info. Very happy to have learned that.

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

This is so impossible to answer. I guess with a gun to my head I’d say

This is Spinal Tap,

but I’d feel bad about not also including

Strictly Ballroom
Ruthless People and
City Lights.

That actually makes sense, so many younger people don’t get what makes the Godfather so great and to those of us that think it is the best it is confusing how they don’t even enjoy it/get it. Also the MM factor has to be big, I am not a big fan of hers, I think she was a talented comedic actress but I don’t think she is the standard of feminine beauty/sex goddess. So that part of the Some Like it Hot allure is not going to work for me whereas Roman Holiday and *Sabrina *are awesome for me as I love Audrey Hepburn. Though for comedy, the beauty/sex appeal of the lead actress should not be that important. None of my picks have a real great beauty in it.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail