Favourite Fake Bands

How about Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band with Billy Shears?

Wild Stallyns
Billy and the Boingers (formerly Deathtongue)
and gotta put in a vote also for Disaster Area (with Hotblack Desiato)

Does anyone still have the soundsheet that came with Billy and the Boingers?

YES! Right here in my copy of “Billy and the Boingers Bootleg”.

(But alas, I no longer have a record player… :frowning: )

Back in the Sixties, every TV sitcom had somne kind of Beatle-esque band make an appearance.

The Bedbugs appeared on “F Troop,” and Agarn quit the Army to become their manager.

A band called the Mosquitoes landed on “Gilligan’s Island,” trying to get far away from their screaming teenage fans.

And on “The Flintstones,” there were a couple of made-up musicians. There was an Elvis clone named Rock Roll, who sang “The Bedrock Twitch” (“There’s a town I know where the swingers go, called Bedrock. Twitch, twitch…”). And on another episode, the only way thje neighborhood could get rid of a family of annoying hillbillies was to put on Beatle-esque wigs and sing a song by a band called the Insects, called “She Said Yeah Yeah Yeah,” The hillbillies hated “Bug music,” and fled from Bedrock screaming.

Oh, and while I’ve never really liked “The Simpsons,” I loved the episode about the B-Sharps, the legendary barber shop quartet band Homer once belonged to.

Gotta love that rooftop “Let It Be” style concert.

With all the *Lost *fans on the SDMB, I’m surprised nobody’s mentioned **Driveshaft **yet.

You have written a comic book.

And yet, you don’t have a link to a homepage in your profile, or in your post.

What kinda’ self-promoter are you? Oh, and so as to stay on topic, Djörk

I actually prefer The Honey Bees
You need me, you need me.
Like a baby needs a toy.
Like a wire needs a buoy.
Like a girl needs a boy.
You need me.

Etc. Etc.

Yeah, but so far they just seem to be a one hit wonder, and their song lyric doesn’t seem to make much sense…

“You all, everybody!”

Now if Charlie gets that new song recorded (“Monstre ate the pilot”), then they’re getting my vote. :smiley:

The Lone Rangers!

(Am I the only one who just loves Airheads?)

The movie “That Thing You Do!” featured a band, The Wonders, whose hit song was IRL written and performed by members of Fountains of Wayne.

The movie “Still Crazy” featured a band called Strange Fruit, whose songs were written by Mick Jones (The Clash), Bernie Marsden (ex-Whitesnake), and others.

The movie Almost Famous featured a band called Stillwater, playing songs by Nancy Wilson (ex-Heart) and director Cameron Crowe, her husband; vocals were supplied by Marti Frederiksen, who also helped write the music on “Still Crazy”; and actor Billy Crudup was coached by Peter Frampton.
What was the name of the band in skits by The Kids In the Hall? Something like, “Peter Manderchuk and the [something somethings]”?

Hedwig and the Angry Inch
School of Rock

Oh, and Great White played The Loaded Blanks in the movie “Maid to Order” starring Ally Sheedy.

Ah, yes. The Mosquitos. Bingo, Bango, Bongo and Irving. :smiley:

When I was in electronics school, I had an imaginary syntho-pop* band called Sheldon Hackett and the Bitkickers. They made it as far as a couple of drawing in my sketchbook. :slight_smile:

[sub]*Hey, it was the eighties. [/sub]

Armada

then

Rod Torfulson’s Armada featuring Herman Menderchuck

then

Rod Torfulson’s Armada Featuring Herman Menderchuk and the Dudettes

then

**The New Rod Torfulson’s Armada featuring Herman Menderchuck{/B]

“The Flintstones” also had the Way-Outs.

We’re called the Way-Outs (Way-Outs)
That’s where the fun is
Way-Out (Way-Out)
That’s where the fun is
Way-Out!

“The Dick Van Dyke Show” had the Redcoats who were actually Peter and Gordon. Or was it Chad and Jeremy? I always get those two groups mixed-up.

[George Harrison]
“Eh. It’s been done.”
[/GH]

How about The Traveling Wilburys?
Or the Shmenge Brothers?

vl_mungo, authoritative responses like yours is one reason why I love these boards. The mind reels… :wink:

Hm… Well, it’s still work in progress. I dislike showing people things that haven’t been finished yet.
(Anybody who knows from where I got the name “Battersea Powerstation” will earn extra cool points)