Favourite vintage disco music videos

What are your favourite disco music videos of the 1970s and 1980s?

Here are a few to get you started.

First, here’s Eruption’s “One Way Ticket”. Check out those hair beads, those shiny golden boots, and the dyed feathers everywhere! Amazing stuff. And the arrangement is a great disco cover of the Neil Sedaka original.

Next we have “Moskau” by Dschinghis Khan. You can’t have been on the Internet in the last fifteen years without having seen one of these performances (or of their other big hit, “Dschinghis Khan”), but I thought I’d mention it here anyway. Campy, colourful uniforms and thematic appropriate choreography (which the bald-headed man always manages to flub at least once). One of the female members shares a rare surname with my late grandfather, and I was crushed to learn that they weren’t related.

Finally, check out the Sylvers’ “Boogie Fever”. Behold those wonderful sidling, finger-snapping dance moves—but only if you can tear your eyes off of those glorious afros! Bonus points for the Michael Jackson look- and sound-alike on stage left. (Everyone I show this video to is convinced on first viewing that it’s really him.) I have known and loved this song from my early childhood thanks to its use in the computer game Frantic Freddie. But I didn’t learn its name and original performer until 2013, when @osuwariboy identified it for me in another thread here.

K.C. and the Sunshine Band, “Shake, Shake, Shake (Shake Your Bootie)”

Lead singer with long hair, backup singers with afros, elaborately beaded costumes, bell bottoms.
Can you dig it?

The two big pop culture trends of the late '70s - disco and the sci-fi craze in the wake of Star Wars - merge to produce a fascinating campy cultural artifact.

Silver Convention, “Fly Robin Fly”. The lyrics are as minimalist as the choreography. They seem to always want to drag something to the stage, but what?

Another Euro Disco song from the 70s with minimalist lyrics, this time from Italy, with great colorful costumes:

ETA: how could I forget. Penny McLean, one of the singers of the above Silver Convention, with her great “Tut-Ench-Amun”:

I had that album. I got it from a radio station giveaway at a mall, or something, back when it came out. Anyway, if I recall the liner notes correctly, the kid on stage left is named Foster, and is certainly not Michael Jackson.

At that time, there was a vogue for family groups to feature, in some way, the youngest boy on vocals. The Osmonds, the Jackson Five, and the Sylvers were all a part of this fashion. So was the DeFranco Family, which came in about 1972-1973, of so. Perhaps not disco (too early?) but certainly danceable, and with all the lead vocals done by a 12- or 13-year old:

Hues Corporation, Rock The Boat
Just something about Fleming Williams’ (the singer, on the left) dancing and legs…

He’s stuck on double-time! Fantastic! :smiley:

Hey, that’s a great one! And the recommended videos that pop up after that one include this performance of “I’m Your Boogie Man”, in which the brass section is even more animated:

“Boogie Wonderland,” by Earth, Wind & Fire with the Emotions. OMG, the outfits!

This video for Patrick Hernandez’s “Born to Be Alive” appears to be from the 1979 World Disco Dancing Championship. Awesome collection of dancers and outfits.

Here’s another one from Eruption (minus Precious Wilson, unfortunately). The song and fashions aren’t as great as those in the other videos so far posted, but check out that shiny tilting grid above the band! It looks like a 3D wireframe effect rendered with computer graphics, but being 1981 it’s actually a giant physical wireframe suspended from the ceiling!

My personal favorite with a surprise ending.

Once a year I gotta watch Lakeside’s Fantastic Voyage because, well, look at it! Pirates! Sword fights! Shootings! A stage full of sand! Plus funky, funky music.

Pretty much any ABBA video, but this is my favorite.

The ultimate 70’s disco video.

Here’s some Soviet disco from 1982, from the group Zdravstvuy, Pesnya. Back then bands were subject to fairly strict rules governing how they could behave on stage, one of which was that the musicians weren’t supposed to move around the stage, nor even move in place very much. This resulted in the rather strange phenomenon of upbeat disco music performers standing as stiff as boards. In the first song of the video below, the guy in the foreground, next to the drummer, is really playing with fire with his head-bopping and toe-tapping. :slight_smile:

Incidentally, the same band also does a Russian-language cover of “One Way Ticket”, no doubt inspired by the Eruption performance with Precious Wilson that I linked to in my OP. Precious Wilson was one of the few Western artists that were invited to tour in the USSR.

Tommy Seebach: Apache (1977)

Interesting—I don’t believe I’ve ever heard that one before. But since you’ve brought up disco instrumentals, here’s the official music video for “The Hustle” by Van McCoy: