FDNY photographer

So I heard a (supposedly) true story of a photographer who’s main subjects were NYC firefighers at work. Over the years the firfighters got to know him so well they began calling him ‘brother’.
The story goes that on 9-11 he was a he was just outside a firestation in NYC just as a firetruck was headed out to the twin towers. He was without his camera. The firefighters saw him as they were leaving on the truck and he has a mental picture of all of them with their hands in the air waving at him. None of them made it back,they all perished.

:frowning:

Anyone heard this? Did I get the story right and does someone have a link?

Thanks, TM

Sounds somewhat like the Naudet Brothers, who made the riveting documentary 9/11. They were making a documentary on the FDNY and just happened to be filming on 9/11. They have one of the few shots of the first impact. There was a scene where one of the brothers–missing for a while in the confusion–made it back to the firehouse and was welcomed by the firemen as one of their own.

Moving thread from IMHO to General Questions.

While there were many firefighters killed in 9/11, I don’t believe there was any firestation where ALL of the firefighters failed to “make it back; they all perished”.

So it sounds like an urban legend to me.

I don’t have the complete citation but you can probably do a search at firehouse.com

There were several stations where the entire on-duty crew never returned. There were many individual pieces of apparatus where the entire on-duty crew of that apparatus were killed. The Special Operations Command - Rescue1, Rescue 2, etc - the guys who get called when firemen need help, was virtually wiped out up to their Chief, Ray Downey.