FEAR ME: I'm a Jew! or *sigh* WB strikes again (Exodus)

I have. The phrase used is we “can apprehend, but not comprehend it”. It’s usually followed up by saying that if we could understand all the nuances of the Trinity, we would be Gods ourselves.

Fenris

Fenris: Two things, if you don’t mind.

[list=1][li]I’ve never found the “incomprehensible” line to be viable for both the reason I posted above and because I really see it as some cleric (a là the Taliban) deigning that it’s not possible for us non-clerics to “apprehend” or comprehend the mysteries only he and his kind can.[/li]So, how’re you coming on that song I asked you to write in the other thread?[/list=1]

to pray,

not to what i think You are, but to what You know Yourself to Be.

covers all bases nicely.

Well, to be fair, I’ve never heard a Christian cleric claim that they understood the Mystery of the Trinity either - the claim is not that no layman can understand it, but that no human can.

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by Monty *
**Fenris: Two things, if you don’t mind.

[list=1][li]I’ve never found the “incomprehensible” line to be viable for both the reason I posted above and because I really see it as some cleric (a là the Taliban) deigning that it’s not possible for us non-clerics to “apprehend” or comprehend the mysteries only he and his kind can.[/li][li]So, how’re you coming on that song I asked you to write in the other thread?[/list=1] **[/li][/QUOTE]

Monty: King of Spain’s post pretty much covers it as I understand it: it’s not that lowly people like you and me can’t understand it, it’s that no human being can grasp the Trinity concept fully.

As for the song…sorry. I’ve tried a couple of times, and it’s coming out rotten. I tried, m’friend. I guess I’m not as good at doing requests. :frowning: I’m going to try to fool with it a bit more, but don’t get your hopes up.

Fenris

Sorry, Poly, the oboes always do get slighted. :smiley:

[sub]at least you’re not a viola[/sub]

I’m wondering if this tangent really shouldn’t be a thread all it’s own, but here goes anyway…

If it’s an idea posited by a human, can it really be an idea impossible to be understood by humans?

I maintain that the answer to that query is: No.

Oh my.

Did I start all that?

Fear me, indeed.

Duck Duck Goose,

That was amazing recap of this thread. Maybe you should start your Duck Duck Goose Notes and compete with the Cliff Notes guy. :wink:

I think that what makes WB so frustrating is his complete inability to abstract anything he learns. He has a great many silly specific silly ideas, and he has shown that he can be taught that one specific silly idea is misguided. What we keep expecting him to do is to take the general priniciple behind what he has learned and apply it to other silly ideas. This he steadfastly refuses to do. There os probably a name for this.

For example, complaints about WB’s “grammar” neveer changed anything. Specific requests to change something get a prompt response.
So I think WB is sincere, and I sort of think of him as our problem child–a serious pain in the butt, but something that is worth doing.

I know what you mean. It is so hard to get people to use proper grammar these days. :wink: (isn’t it ironic people always make a grammar mistake when they complain about someones grammar?

Well I appreciate that(well at least the first part). I do think I have mellowed some since I have been here. I mean I have listened to some talk shows lately and you would be surprises on what alot of Americans want to do to the middle easterners that make me look like pacifist(sp).

Also poly,

I appreciate the support you gave me in your post.

Note : Fixed coding. - E.

[Edited by Eutychus55 on 10-08-2001 at 10:14 AM]

Not only did I get a letter, but apparently I have the unique ability to raise the dead [read: unban the banished]. I chose not to waste my new found powers on the lowly portajon, but intend to role play an evil cleric. Praise Eris, goddess of strife, or I shall return Bronzelion to your midst.:rolleyes:

BTW my admiration to those working tirelessly in this WB intervention.

Thanks eutychus55. You got my vote for moderator of the year.

I got ask though what does your user name mean?

It’s called “Gaudere’s Law,” Bill, and I’m not even going to risk invoking it.

:smiley:

Especially ironic when there is no grammatical error. It’s a typo, I’m guessing, since from what I know of Mando JO I’d guess she knows how to spell “never”.:smiley:

[confession] I watched this thread grow for 5 pages or whatever from the outside, thinking to myself, “Well of course the shows on the WB Network aren’t worth paying attention to. Why all the outrage?” [/confession]

I know what you mean Milo. I never bothered opening the thread until prompted by the spamming loon, for pretty much the same reason. :slight_smile:

And you did a great job presenting it. In fact I was suprised to find perhaps the best essay I have seen on the issue buried several pages into a pit thread.

I just didn’t want anyone to get confused that this is doctrine for all Christians. In fact I have yet to find a doctrine for which I can’t find a group that disagrees with it. Who knows, the guy, who gave Fenris his description of God, might be a member of PCFGHCaBS,I. :smiley: