Federated Department Stores Obliterates tradition

I know that store consolidation has been going on for a long time, but this strikes home. In Chicago, Federated is getting rid of the Marshall Fields name:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050920/ap_on_bi_ge/federated_marshall_field_s

Several years ago they got rid of the Jordan Marsh name, and people still haven’t forgiven them.

In today’s Boston Globe they announced the layoff of 1110 people from the downtown Filene’s store, which will be closed. (Filene’s and Jordan Marsh were major competiotors, with stores across the street from each other at Downtown Crossing).

Everything is now going to be Macy’s. I’ll bet even R.H. Macy wouldn’t approve.
Maybe we should just be grateful they didn’t fire the extra person, just to make the number more regular.

In the not-so-distant future, there will be but one store. It’s name will be STORE, and you will buy everything there.

Everything.

A nice side note to this: Someone at City Hall (Motto: You want a job?, Pay up.) Wants to protect the State St. store as a landmark, which would prohibit removing the big brass “Marshall Fields” signs from the side of the store.

Acutally, there was a “STOR”.

Ikea bought them.

This leads me to believe that even when you get everything down to one “Store”, they’re still not going to be immune to acquisitions and merging.

(PS. Are you sure it won’t be called “Wal-Mart”?)

Ohhhh no . . . it’ll have a name. A brand name. And you’ll see it everywhere you look.

They’re doing the same thing in the DC area with the Hecht’s chain - they’re all going to be Macy’s, and they’re shutting down the local corporate office that employs about 1000 people. I think they’re doing the same with the Kaufman’s stores in Pennsylvania. Because, y’know, what value is there in department store names that have been locally venerated for 100 years?

In my opinion, it’s a foolish move on the part of Federated - with a local name, you’re buying into generations of local goodwill while simultaneously gaining the advantages of a national purchasing/distribution network. The only real advantage is in national advertising campaigns, but department store advertising isn’t usually as effective in the mass media. Even where it is, they could just as easily have done a co-branding sort of thing, saying “Hecht’s (a Federated store)” in local ads so that national campaigns could say “shop at your Federated department store”.

They did the same in Florida with Burdines, which seemed to be old, well-established, and well-loved in the state. Now they’re all Macy’s. And we lost our Jordan Marsh almost a decade ago.

The classic big department store is a bad business model. Overpriced goods in expensive locations. When such a market dies, the businesses start to merge and get bought up. There will eventually be one large chain of national classic department stores. But even that won’t last.

Meier and Franks, Bon Marche, Rich’s, etc. were all going to go away anyway. Just be thankful they managed to last as long as they did.

NO!!!

I now hate Macy’s and will never shop there.

What exactly did you expect to happen? Filene’s got bought by a rival with a store right across the street. This was practically a sure thing. While I enjoyed shopping at Filene’s, I can’t really see why this is a big deal.

While this certainly represents a disturbing trend, I say **Marshall Field’s ** got what it deserves for doing away with Hudson’s. What goes around, comes around, byatch!

Well, I think this just sucks. Marshall Fields is an iconic example of everthing that’s right with Chicago. When they stopped making Frango mints here, I never at another one. Once they pull that trademark green awning off that building and put on that hideous Macy’s label, I will never darken that door again. I won’t even stop to look at the Christmas displays. Screw 'em. Macy’s. How wretched.

Well, I think this just sucks. Marshall Fields is an iconic example of everthing that’s right with Chicago. When they stopped making Frango mints here, I never ate another one. Once they pull that trademark green awning off that building and put on that hideous Macy’s label, I will never darken that door again. I won’t even stop to look at the Christmas displays. Screw 'em. Macy’s. How wretched.

I have to agree. I can’t remember the last time I shopped in a department store, except for Sears to buy Craftsman products. Most of them don’t fit my budget, and since most of them are in humongomalls I just don’t have the time it takes to go - getting from the car to the department you want in the store you’re looking for can take longer than just going to a closer, smaller, cheaper store in a strip mall. There’s too many people who feel the same and have similar time restraints, I think There’s a reason all the “oldies” are disappearing.

Around here, Kohl’s is expanding by leaps and bounds. I’ve never been to one, only shpped online (aha, another reason right there the dinosaurs are dying!), but I do know they locate in neighborhood strip malls, and from what I’ve seen of their circulars they have pretty reasonable prices. They may well be a glorified Wal*Mart as opposed to a user-friendly Marshall Field’s, for all I know, so they may not be a good example of what I think the future of the major department store should be.

My sister-in-law works (worked) for Filene’s in Massachusetts. Probably goes without saying, but:

According to her, all Filene’s will eventually be closed if there is also a Macy’s in the same area. If not, that Filene’s will be converted to a Macy’s. So, it’s pretty easy to look around and see which stores are going to be closed.

Some fast-talking marketing experts were on Marketplace (public radio biznews) this AM being very,* very* smug about the whole thing. “In 15 minutes it’ll be ‘Marshall Who’.” “A lot of culture is lost, but in marketing, we call that Progress.”

:mad: EAT ME, YOU SELF RIGHTEOUS ROBOT BASTARDS. IN MY WORLD NONE OF YOU PEOPLE WOULD HAVE NAMES. EXCEPT MAYBE "BAAAAAAAA."

Back in NY/NJ, Bambergers was obliterated and replaced by Macy’s a long time ago.
I juast checked some of the other places I’ve lived. Where the big Foot of Federated has not fallen, the department stores still stand. Sibley’s (Sibley, Lindsay, and Curr, to give the full name) still exists in Rochester, although their 1920’s main store downtown closed 15 years ago. And ZCMI (Zion’s Cooperative Mercantile Institute) still reigns in Salt Lake City, and probably will as long as the Mormons are there.

No, ZCMI was sold in 1999 to the May Co., and all the stores were renamed to Meier & Frank. Now that Macy’s has bought the May Co. the old ZCMI stores will soon become Macy’s.

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham
And ZCMI (Zion’s Cooperative Mercantile Institute) still reigns in Salt Lake City, and probably will as long as the Mormons are there.

No, ZCMI was sold in 1999 to the May Co., and all the stores were renamed to Meier & Frank. Now that Macy’s has bought the May Co. the old ZCMI stores will soon become Macy’s.
[/qote]

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Is nothing sacred?

Here in Washington, DC, they just announced they’re going to be closing the Hechts main office and changing all surviving Hechts to Macys.

However, they have retained the name of the ZCMI Center shopping mall in downtown SLC, even though the anchor is not ZCMI any more. They also retained the historic building facade.