Fellow tenants: New rule for elevator usage

Oh I totally understand. I hate it when my computer turns on, opens up a thread, sits me down and forces me to read it.

I’m sorry, **Chessic Sense, **but you really needed to run this by ivn1188 for Pit-worthiness. As it stands, having to ride in an elevator with another person just doesn’t meet the criteria.:smiley:

A question, though: If for every level the ride up with you, they get to subtract one punch, what happens if they live on the 19th floor? Does that mean they get to punch you in the face 16 times?

How exactly does this bother you? Isn’t that what the elevator is there for? How late are you for your appointment with the president by someone using the elevator one floor?

I have a plan whereby you can discourage people from getting on the elevator with you. It involves burritos and garlic.

First of all, what’s with these recent ivn1188 jokes? Did he say something about pit-worthiness in a thread somewhere? Can you show me the link to the post?

Second, no, they don’t get to punch me. They have to punch themselves 16 times…duh.

For the same reason I hate it when people cut in front of me in lines at stores or wherever. It costs me a small amount of time, but it’s totally disrespectful of my time and everyone else’s. It’s plain old bad etiquette.

I don’t see it that way. In some buildings, it’s not even obvious where the stairs are. Most modern buildings really hide the stairs and announce the elevators. If I walked into one and needed to go to the third floor, I would probably take the elevator. I like taking stairs, but I’m not going to hunt around the back to find them.

Procrustus, the stairs aren’t hidden at all. They’re behing a door in the lobby and on every floor, like they always are. Hell, the parking levels have an entire central pillar devoted to them. These jerks know where the stairs are, trust me.

Yes, yes. We can all make up reasons that would excuse someone from the proper etiquette. Big deal. They don’t apply to 99.9% of the jackasses pissing me off twice a day, every day.

I know, right? It doesn’t bother me (us?) when it’s, say, the 10th floor though. Weird that way. But you know why that is? Because when it comes to the floor just above/below mine, I feel compelled to get off and take the damned stairs so that others don’t have to stop on my floor. I then feel bad for not doing so.

Wait, this is about etiquette?? :confused:

Isn’t it bad etiquette to insist that others go out of their way to make life more convenient for you? :dubious:

And you know this how, exactly?

Here’s a link. He appointed himself Judge Of All That Is Pit-Worthy.

I support this rant. Take the stairs for two flights up and three flights down! (This sign was posted in one of the schools I was in - I think it was the technical institute. No reason for healthy young adults to be clogging elevators for one or two flights.) My related rant is locked stairwell doors. I don’t like elevators much and I never will - I’ll take stairs when I can (and yes, I too can use the exercise), but sometimes the stair doors are locked and I can’t use them. Stupid bums, ruining things for everyone.

This isn’t an RO thread. RO is when you post about something that’s obviously horrible so you can show the rest of the board how much you disapprove. Unless you think fuckwads that waste time because they’re lazy cunts is such an obvious thing to get upset about…

Just for that, you should have to stop at EVERY. FREAKING. FLOOR.

Yeah, me too. My office is on the second floor and it never even occurs to me to take the elevator unless I’m bringing my bicycle in or out.

What surprises me is how many of the able-bodied college students just automatically use the elevator to go up or down one floor. Even when I was temporarily on crutches last fall, I used the elevator less than some of these young’uns do. (Actually, even on crutches the stairs are generally faster than the elevator to go up or down one floor, once you’ve grasped the stairs-on-crutches technique.) I don’t think they’re lazy, I think it’s just habit.

That said, I think if the OP really can’t stand sharing the elevator with “short-hoppers”, he should just take the stairs himself. All 20 floors’ worth. Awesome cardio training, too (on the way up, at least).

Or walk up to the third floor and get on there - take the mail getters out of the equation.

Good point: almost everybody who’s still on the elevator when the OP boards it at floor 3 will have already gone up three floors (since the vast majority of upward bound elevator riders are people who boarded at the ground floor), so he won’t feel obligated to punch them for laziness. Very sensible recommendation.

The pit should be reserved for internecine fighting. Pitting “some people in my building use the elevator on occasions when I would use the stairs” is more alike to “The story on I heard on the news makes me so mad” than it is different. Although in the former the offense may be closer to home; the essential insipidity is the same: trotting out petty slights and pedestrian resentments in order to garner the board’s sympathy. It is toothless rage, and I will not countenance it!!

Cutting a line and using an elevator in the manner for which it is intended are two different things. The line-cutter is a jerk; the elevator user is not. Everyone using a shared elevator will sometimes inconvenience others. Even if you don’t see the other users, there is a good chance someone is waiting for the elevator as it goes up and down to your apartment. Just something to think about…

The BBQ Pit:

For rants about the world or beefs with another poster.

Seriously, this is not elevator etiquette, this is use of the elevator. Bad elevator etiquette is getting on before people have gotten off, or marinating in your perfume, or making people uncomfortable by saying or doing inappropriate things in an enclosed space. Using the elevator in a proper manner but making the OP think you’re lazy is not poor elevator etiquette.