Female first-person literature?

AIRC Octavia Butler has written several, among them Parable of the Sower, right?

C.S. Lewis: Till We Have Faces.

His best novel, and one of my overall favorites.

Iron Heel by Jack London which is in many ways a Marxist version of Atlas Shrugged.

The Poisonwood Bible is narrated by five different women.

Spoon River Anthology is told entirely in snippets of first-person narrative by multiple characters, many of them female, all of them dead.

I haven’t read any of Amy Yamada’s novels, but her short story “Bend Down and Lick My Feet” was the first-person story of a sex worker.

It’s narrated by the second (and unnamed) Mrs. deWinter. Rebecca was the late, first Mrs. deWinter. Mr. deWinter was some kind of rich, titled British peer.

Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale, I think. And Plath’s The Bell Jar.

Gerald’s Game by Stephen King.

Les Liaisons Dangereuses (“Dangerous Liaisons”), an epistolary novel by Choderlos de Laclos, is written partly from the perspective of some female characters.

If you are also into Sci-Fi thrillers, you my try WWW Trilogy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWW_Trilogy

Thank you both.

I’ll be the first to say that my memory is just godawful, but if nothing else it prompts me to have to read the book again!

<M. Knight>What a twist!</M. Knight>

I recently had the treat of reading True Grit for the first time. The narrator is a woman.

I didn’t know it was such a superb book or I’d have read it years ago.

Another Charlotte Bronte first-person novel: Villette. It’s a favorite of mine.

Faulkner’s As I Lay Dying is told from several points of view. One of them, if I recall correctly, is the dead mother’s.

Robert Heinlein’s Friday

A substantial part of Anne of Windy Poplars, by L.M. Montgomery, consists of letters written by the heroine.

Let us not forget Podkayne of Mars.

And half the narrators of The Number of the Beast - which like it or not does exist :smiley:

Yes, and this is actually a solid example because it’s a rather good use of first-person narrative, at least in the first people. The world-building of the setting is handled really organically, because the wool is being pulled from the protagonist’s eyes and you’re along for the ride.

No, she never says anything.

If it hasn’t already been mentioned, Cat’s Eye by Margaret Atwood, and also one of my very favorite obscure novels, The Hearing Trumpet, by Leonora Carrington.