Female first-person literature?

I’m trying to think of some famous literature that is written from a first-person perspective, but with a female main character. I can’t think of any! Perhaps it’s just a matter of my choice of reading material being slanted. Can anyone else come up with any? And if there really is a paucity of this type of work, why would that be?

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

One of my favorite books ever: Jane Eyre.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte

I see I’ve been ninja’ed on Jane Eyre.

Dickens’s Bleak House has some chapters narrated by a female first-person narrator, while others are third-person omniscient.

Too late on Jane Eyre, so I’ll save with Jasper fforde’s The Eyre Affair (and sequels).

Wuthering Heights

The V.I. Warshawski novels by Sara Paretsky.

Now that I think about it, there’s Defoe’s Moll Flanders and, if epistolary novels count, Richardson’s Clarissa, so this goes back to the earliest English novels.

More recent examples are plentiful, depending on where you set the bar for “famous.”

Harper Lee’s*** To Kill a Mockingbird.***

WIllkie Collins’ ***The Woman in White ***has many narrators, some of whom are female.

Margaret Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale.

Alice Walker’s The Color Purple

The last chapter of Ulysses.

Sue Grafton’s Kinsey Millhone mysteries (A is for Alibi, etc.)

The Hunger Games trilogy.

Thanks, gang. I guess it’s just my incomplete education!

Katniss is the first-person narrator of the books in ***The Hunger Games ***series, isn’t she?

To Kill a Mockingbird

And these are famous if you had any exposure to the 70’s feminist movement.
Fear of Flying by Erica Jong
The Women’s Room by Marilyn French

Since this hasn’t been corrected I’m assuming it’s right, but I thought the story was narrated by the potential sutor?

ETA: Nevermind, I think I remember now. A new maid right? Man I loved this book and I can’t remember a damn thing about it…

Out of Africa and Memoirs of a Geisha are both first-person narratives.
Sir T-Cups**:*Rebecca *is narrated by Maxim de Winter’s second wife.

Some of Dracula is narrated by Mina and Lucy, too.

Melting Stones Tamora Pierce

Another epistolary novel by the same author, and rather more readable, is Pamela; or, Virtue Rewarded.