Female Singers belting it out

There are pop stars that can hit a high note. I like some opera. but when searching youtube i get the same results all the time. Whitney Houston, Sia, Maria Callas, a few others.

Can you expand my horizons? Who wows you with their voice? Not just a good singer. Someone who commands the room. Any genre is good. If fact i might prefer anything but pop singers.

You must have come across Diana Damrau before, but in case you haven’t:

Queen Omega is internationally blessed with her vocal:

There is a sub-genre of reaction videos where vocal coaches react to vocal performances. You’ll probably find some good ones there. Here is an example

Floor Jansen is one of my favorite singers. She is from a symphonic metal band called Nightwish, but she appeared on a show called Beste Zangers and she had to sing a song from Phantom of the Opera with Henk Poort, who plays the phantom on stage.

Not only does she do it, she commands the room. Henk Poort was so impressed with this moment, he has continued to record songs with her and the two have become friends. It’s a great moment.

Much of the work of Aretha Franklin, though she also could do very subtle. Here’s one good example:

It’s no secret that Linda Ronstadt had a great voice (I say “had” because she can no longer sing due to Parkinson’s disease). You may be surprised to learn that she recorded a couple of albums of Mexican music in honor of her heritage on her father’s side. Here she is in a TV performance of one of the songs from her album Canciones de Mi Padre:

I love that album!

Clare Torry - Pink Floyd’s “The Great Gig In The Sky:”

I’ll go out on a limb and say that she belts this one out :wink:

I was fortunate enough to work on about half a dozen shows that Patti LaBelle did back in the late '80s and early '90s. She is the only artist that I have ever heard out-do an arena-scale audio system.

Obligatory Janis Joplin mention

A couple that haven’t been mentioned…

Eva delivers on this one…

In a similar vein, Merry Clayton on the Stones’ “Gimme Shelter”:

Brandi Carlile can belt it out pretty good.

And it looks like she’s having a ball.

Broadway singer Kristin Chenoweth is a belter. I don’t know how that much voice comes out of that tiny of a body.

Which brings thought of Grace Slick…

Here she is covering Sting’s “Fields of Gold”:

The Impressions’ “People Get Ready”: