Female Singers belting it out

Alison Krauss “Where No One Stands Alone”

The original big voice in a tiny frame, “the little sparrow”

Alison Moyet, at least back in the day (haven’t heard her lately).
Alison Moyet - Where Hides Sleep - YouTube is a classic.

20+ replies and no one has mentioned Shirley Bassey yet?

You win.

I can sympathize with the OP’s decision to stay away from pop singers. Outside the studio, live, minimal accompaniment, just their voice, no backing singers to cover mistakes… Some examples (for comparison purposes)…

Loren Allred, doing “Never Enough” from the Greatest Showman. (She is the singer who did the vocal for the movie.)

Not just belting, but also with remarkable range.

I have seen Heart 5 times, each time Ann Wilson’s voice has improved with age. One of my favorites is the Wilson sisters honoring Led Zeppelin during a Kennedy Center show. Ann’s rendition brought tears to Robert Plant’s eyes, he later said it was the best version of Stairway he had ever heard.

Imelda May

What, no love for Maiah Carey? She was the first that popped into my head. She is pretty much the definition of Diva.

Pat Benatar, is inch-for-inch, one of the best female singers. I think she trained in opera before switching to pop-rock:

The salsera India has a powerful voice:

(skip ahead to about 2:00 when she really belts it out. She is singing about the pain of being “the other woman”.

Lzzy Hale

One up-n-comer is Casey Bishop. Fifteen years old here:

Wow these were all great. Thanks

No mention yet of Sinead O’Connor? She can go from whisper quiet to peeling the paint off the walls in a blink. Google “Drink Before the War” and get ready…

I was going to suggest Grace Slick’s Theme from the Movie Manhole.

Fantastic.

ISTR seeing a popup video of Aretha and others (Celine, Shaniah, Mariah, Gloria) on stage and at the end of a song, Aretha and Celine were sort of both insisting they get the last word, so to speak, as the band held the last note. Celine finally let her have it. Can’t find the video however.

Let’s not forget Kate Bush:

And

My contribution is Susan Tedeschi: