Feminine version of "Johnson"?

It’s all to do with the shrubbery, I’m sure.

Mind you, it’s not uncommon with Swedish women who change their last name to (father’s name/mother’s name)-dotter. The practice still lives on, in a sense.

I lived with a Swedish girl who explained that to me, it is also where I found out about the Icelandic tradition/practice.
She would have been Ragnarsdotter but dind’t fancy that at all.

Actually, Pravnik, you’re not quite right.

1. Navratilová is spelled with an accent on the last a. This indicates that it is not a possessive adjective. It is an adjective, though, and it certainly derives from some patriarchical idea about the relation between men and wives; fathers and daughters.

2. Possessive adjectives for male, nominative singular end in -ův, not in -ov/-ev (as is customary in Russian and, afaik, other slavic languages). This means that ‘Pravnik’s dog’ is Pravnikův pes. The -ova suffix also exists (that is: the one without the accent). ‘Pravnik’s daughter’ would be Pravnikova dcera, ‘of Pravnik’s dog’ would be Pravnikova psa.

3. to be entirely complete, and to nitpick some more on the importance of those accents: your username has two of them (if, that is, it is to be the Czech word for lawyer): Právník.

One final point that could be of relevance for the OP: in Russian, people use patronymics. The equivalent of Johnson is ‘Ivanovich’; for women, this becomes Ivanovna’.

I defer to your greater authority, good soldier Švejk. You’re correct, of course, it’s -ův and -ová. Forgive my faulty declension, I haven’t had the chance to practice for almost ten years. I was aware that právník had the two accents, but when I signed up for the Straight Dope in 2002, my computer keyboard couldn’t make accents. :smiley:

An old gent I worked with nodded at a passing woman, then he commented to me, “Shenandoah. Deep and wide.” I didn’t ask him how he knew.

Ah-ha. We have another set of tenants, husband and wife. I noticed on their applications for tenancy that he is, say, Alexei Slobovickni and she was Raisa Slobovnickna. … or something like that. I wish I could recall more specifically, but their last name was the same, but with different endings, which I assumed were for gender.

Very well played. [applause]

That’s right, the last names are modified to fit the gender of the person whose last name they are. this sentence is weird but the content is spot on. So Putin’s wife’s last name is Putina, Krushchov’s wife’s name was Khrushchova. Some names, such as Tolstoy and Dostoyevskiy, come in the form of adjectives and are declined accordingly (Tolstaya, Dostoyevskaya) But these are last names, not father’s names. So, as was pointed out above, Dostoyevskiy’s father’s first name was Mikhail, so Dostoyevskiy’s full name was Fyodor Michailovich Dostoyevskiy, or Theodore Michael’s-son Dostoyevskiy. I don’t believe big D had any sisters, but if we postulate a sister named Svetlana, her full name would have been Svetlana Mikhailovna Dostoyevskaya, or Svetlana Michael’s-daughter Dostoyevskaya.

There’s a woman here in town with the name Helene Beaver. That works for me. Her husband Jerry was the co-owner of the erstwhile Beaver-Free Corporation. They should have never changed the name.