few random questions, concerning the internet and latin, among others

1. What exactly is usenet? I understand it’s some sort of place for people to post messages, but what exactly is it and how does one access it/post in it?

2. What is the correct pronunciation of the Latin “Deus”?

3. What exactly is a Nubian, and what would be the reasoning behind the statement “The ancient Babylonians were Nubian”

4. And, for that matter, who were the Babylonians? (I’m looking for a brief summary here, time period, region, ethnicity, anything superbly interesting or relevant)

5. Who are the geniuses behind The Onion ?

Thanks for your time

http://info.astrian.net/jargon/terms/u/Usenet.html
It works much like a decentralized version of a message board such as this one. You post to it through a newsreader like Forte Agent.

You can get a quick peek at usenet via Google Groups. Some people post through this as well.

Vinniepaz, when you post a handful of unrelated questions in the same thread, chances are good that some of them will get lost in the shuffle. (Looking back at your OP, I can see that Babylonian and Onion do sound similar, but we’ll probably find they’re unrelated.)

I’m not an authority figure here, (Og knows! :rolleyes: ) and you can ignore my advice without fear. I’m just hoping to help you get better results.

The staff of the Onion is listed here. I’m sure you could google for an article about the paper’s history. It started as an alternative weekly in Madison, Wisconsin. The international paper version of The Onion has a lot of ads for stores and bars in Madison that have absolutely no relevancy to people outside the US and may explain why it’s ridiculously expensive.

The pronunciation of deus depends on what pronunciation system you’d use, I suppose. The s in -us wasn’t pronounced by the Romans, but most modern-day Latinists would pronounce it. I would pronounce it something like ‘DAY-oos’ (/deus/ in IPA).

2. What is the correct pronunciation of the Latin “Deus”?

DAY-us, as in “The queen decided not to knight us, but was pleased to day us.” :slight_smile: DEE-us is often heard, but is something of an Anglicization. (The “AY” sound is shorter in duration than a normal english long A – think of the difference between quickly reciting the ABCs and the Fonz going “:A-a-a-a-ay” to catch what I’m saying here.

3. What exactly is a Nubian, and what would be the reasoning behind the statement "The ancient Babylonians were Nubian"

The Nubians were and are the darker-skinned Caucasian people living in what was then southernmost Egypt (and independent Nubia occupying the same territory or its southern end), now northernmost Sudan. The meaning of the statement is that the guy is either completely at sea on ancient ethnogeography or has an odd theory about distribution of ethnic groups.

4. And, for that matter, who were the Babylonians? (I’m looking for a brief summary here, time period, region, ethnicity, anything superbly interesting or relevant).

The Babylonians were the people living in and around the city of Babylon, which was an independent kingdom and in two short periods an empire. The periods in question are about 1500-1000 BC and 626-539 BC, between which it was a province of Assyria. The area is the southern end of the Tigris and Euphrates Valley(s), in southern Iraq. The latter period is sometimes called the Chaldean Empire, the Chaldeans being a related tribe which asserted Babylonian independence of Assyria and established a large but shortlived empire. The people were typical Middle Eastern folk speaking a now-extinct Semitic language.

I believe Usenet is best understood in the old school method of understanding the Internet. In the early days, the Internet was often described as a number of client/server services. Those early servies were e-mail, ftp, IRC, Usenet, and then the Web. Each of these services run on their own servers, with their own protocols and are accessed with thier own clients.

In other words, you use an e-mail client to access an e-mail server and you use an ftp client to access an ftp server and so on. A browser is a web client, you use it to access web servers.

Usenet fits this way of thinking exactly. It lives on news servers and you use a news client to access it.

Now days the lines of demarkation are not as clear as the web and browsers are taking over some of the older services and making inroads into others.

A Nubian, not surprisingly, is a native or inhabitant of Nubia. You can find information about Nubia here.