Fictional sports you wish were real

Have you ever seen a made-up sport in a show you were watching and thought, “Man, that looks so cool. If only it were real”?

What fictional sport do you wish were real? I’ll start with the obvious: Quidditch. Yes, I know Quidditch has a “real” version, but I’m talking about with flying broomsticks.

Calvinball.

43 Man Squamish

Blitzball from Final Fantasy X.

How can you leave out Rollerball?

Blernsball

Moopsball.

Chardee McDennis: The Game of Games

Huttball

Monty Python Upper Class Twit of the Year Competition.

With a newly popular US Remake / Homage version especially!

Perhaps with Ye and some of his like minded friends…

For a short period, Australian TV viewers became obsessed with the sport of Farnarkling due to the comedic genius of John Clarke.

Listen to a segment and you’ll recognise it could be virtually any piece of sports journalism in the world.

Farnarkeling is a Aussie term for fucking about and doing not much that is productive in the usual manner of adolescent males, usually with substantial volumes of alcohol involved. Good times.

As defined by the man himself …

there was a sport on the original Battlestar Galactica that looked like something called speedball/klashball which was a trio of games on the PC and console game systems in the late 80s it was a cross of American football and rugby/soccer you wore armor that looked like NFL uniforms and brawled over a charged ball that was thrown around until a goal was made … a version of it was added to the halo 4 multiplayer activities

and other there’s atari cyberball which was robotic football with a difference … if you didn’t get a first down or score before a timer ran out the ball would blow up and kill qb or receiver …

The game of Sink.

Sensha-dō, from Girls und Panzer!

And the zero-gravity battle game from Ender’s Game.

Quidditch, on the other hand, has dumb rules and I would not be a fan.

“Two men enter. One man leaves” Thunderdome-type event, but used to settle disputes among politicians of the world. This would be better than sending armies of citizens around to fight each other.

I believe the sport was called Triad.

The newer series had Pyramid as well.

I’m definitely in for the previously mentioned calvinball and rollerball.

I’d also offer up brockian ultra-cricket, a game in which players hit each other as hard as possible, then run far away and apologize. The players are scored based on the quality of their apologies.

Baseketball was not as good as basketball but definitely better than baseball.

Do card games count?
If so, Fizzbin.