Fights you've had over food.

Ha! Ha! Lynn
It may be a gross sandwich, but at least it’s a tidy sandwich!

My cholesteral is high: 237ish.

Mr. Ujest’s is really good. He’s never told me the numbers, but his German Grandma is 84 and could kick your ass with a work load that would make a Navy SEAL weep in misery. Her daughter, my MIL, is even a bigger workhorse. Mr. Ujest is the same way. (Fortunately, I am normal.)

Arbeit Mach Frei, et al.

Ummmm, fried Spam…fried over a wood stove on a chilly morning while out camping as a child, accompanied by delightful Cream O’ Wheat…ummm! Haven’t eaten it since, I don’t want to spoil my childhood memories that that crap was actually good, you know?

Papa Tiger has odd food preferences. I have been lectured at length for purchasing (gasp) the wrong brand of canned corn. As for meat and meat products or fish, I do not even attempt to invade his territory; he buys it, he cooks it, I eat it. A happy compromise. :slight_smile:

I also learned not to go shopping with him when he’s on a quest for the Perfect Bacon. First time (and nearly the last time) I ever went to the grocery store with him, he decided he wanted to buy bacon. Fine, what’s on sale? Not good enough. He stood there and looked at every single package of bacon the store carried. Not just every brand, but every package. I am not kidding when I say it lasted ten minutes. I finally sat down on the floor, right there in the grocery store, waiting for him.

So which package did he eventually decide on? The very first one he’d picked up.

Needless to say, he shops on his own there days. Or if he insists on stopping at the store when I’m with him, I stay in the car. There are limits to what I will put up with.

Captain! **Captain ** Von Trapp! <eyes narrow suspiciously> You aren’t confusing him with Colonel Sanders, are you?

Lockup Scramble
receipe courtesy of the Chicago Police Department*
and passed to me by Officer Dad

Ingredients:
[ul]
[li]1/2lb Bologna, diced (end piece pref. ask at your deli counter)[/li][li]1/2 onion, thinly sliced[/li][li]4 eggs, beaten[/li][li]2 slices american cheese[/li][li]butter for frying[/li][/ul]all proportions are to preference, Haute Cuisine this ain’t

Sautee bologna and onions in butter until onions are transparent
salt and pepper to taste
Add eggs and stir until eggs are cooked
turn onto plate and put cheese on top immediately so the heat will melt it
eat and feel the love!

*served to the lockup residents as breakfast

Gahh!!! Food police, God I’ve had my share of dealing with them!

I sympathise with anyone here who has had to deal with someone who doesn’t ‘believe’ them when they say they don’t like a food, or cannot eat a particular item cos of very real health considerations!

I used to work for a lady and help her do weekend (textile) trade shows…my eating habits were a never ending source of pain and controversy for this woman.

I am allergic to garlic. End of story. I am not being a brat or a picky eater when I say, ‘I am allergic to garlic.’ No one else has ever had a problem when I have been a houseguest, and they ask, ‘Are there any special foods you like best/oughtn’t have?’ Garlic leaves me doubled over in pain for hours after consumption, even a trace of it.

This lady never, ever believed me, and would tell anyone who would listen that I was a picky eater.

Because of previous health problems, I avoid eating meat as it’s very hard for me to digest – I usually just ask for the vegetarian meal, and there is never a problem. Except with this lady. ‘Oh for God’s sake, why can’t you just eat a hamburger like everyone else?!’

I used to bring my own food to the shows after a while, cheese, and carrot sticks, and granola, energy bars, stuff like that. Once she stopped at a Taco Bell drive-through and argued with me I needed to be eating health food, not the rubbish I always seemed to have with me – and she meant specifically the taco she’d just bought (she would take a bite, show me the taco, and say, ‘Mmmmm, now doesn’t that look good?’ Repeat until taco is gone. She also argued that bottled green tea and bottled iced tea were health drinks. I don’t know. Maybe they are. All I know is, like my brother, caffeine triggers off migraines in me, so I have to avoid coffee, tea, sodas…(and trust me, I don’t ‘miss’ them! I like milk and orange juice! I like things that don’t flatten me with nausea and a pounding behind my eyeballs! Really! Honestly!)

She was also the sort of person who would lecture you for eating breakfast foods at any other time but breakfast, cos ‘normal people’ didn’t do that (someone had better tell I-Hop and all the other ‘breakfast all day’ people!), and once when I had a raging stomach flu, shouted at me because all I ordered was a milkshake (which, by the way did make me feel better…)

I cannot imagine what it was like actually to live with this woman; her daughter told me, that when the daughter (now in her 40s) was little, mum would make the daughter eat Vick’s whenever she had a cold :eek:

I myself am mad for broccoli, and will put it on homemade pizza, or I will eat lightly cooked broccoli and mayo sandwichs…it’s yummy! I just cannot understand why this would disturb people! You don’t know what you’re missing!
:slight_smile:

At least you have a real reason [I am terminally allergic to certain mushrooms myself]

But essentially there is no difference between Branding Iron [tm] bacon and Gwaltney [tm] brand bacon in general other than serious price issues and a very slight flavor profile [to me gwaltney is smokier, branding iron is slightly sweet. the other 7 people couldn’t tell the difference.] We buy branding iron…if mrAru suddenly went insane and demanded Gwaltney brand, I would do the same thing to him I did to Keith and let him believe he was getting Gwaltney.

I am anally careful about food allergies in people…for example when I make baklava to take to baltcon, I am making a tree nut version and a peanut version and using my best care to not cross contaminate. Even using disposable tin baking pans so I can just chuck them after we empty them at the party…

mmmm, broccoli. I thik I am going to make chicken broccoli stirfry for dinner, that sounds good=)

My husband and I are like Qadgop - if we need to eat something extra-super-duper special and the other person didn’t buy it, we know where the grocery store is. I guess we’re probably pretty lucky in this area - neither of us are picky eaters, and most of our differences in food were easily settled.

And those food police that feel the need to criticize what other people eat - they all need to get stuffed. If I ain’t shoving it down your throat, shut yer piehole. (Think I’ll go make some lovely spicy french toast and smother it with ketchup. :D)

aruvqan and featherlou – Mmm, you are welcome guests at Castle Boods any time! Actually, anyone who understands!

When I stay with my auntie, she will ask me, ‘Do you like XYZ?’ I will say, ‘Well, honestly, I don’t know; I’ve never tried it.’ If I try it and like it, yummy! If I don’t, and I tell her, she doesn’t try to foist it on me.

So I do appreciate when someone just doesn’t like something! There are some foods I just honestly cannot stand, and telling me repeatedly, ‘Oh you don’t know what you’re missing’ is not going to help. I do know what I’m missing – that’s precisely why I am missing it!

I’ve stopped travelling with a couple of friends because stress of the ‘food issue’ would leave me with no appetite. It seems a silly thing to stress over, doesn’t it…but for me, it’s a real issue. I have problems with low blood sugar, and have to eat many small meals throughout the day – and I am very, very thin. So of course friends thing they’re being helpful by cooking enormous meals…I know some of them are really concerned…but honestly, I can snork down the calories just fine (I will fight you to the death for Cadbury’s Fruit and Nut – when I am back to the UK, I put about about 400gm of manna per diem)…

medium cheddar? Shuddder. I just bought some cheddar made in 1999. Mmmmmmm…

But, jeez, stories like the OP’s make me glad I’m a spinster. :slight_smile:

K. I CAN’T let this thread pass without commenting… I LOVE SPAM, cold, warm, in a sandwich, straight out of the can, any way I can get it. :slight_smile:
About certain brands… not just food, but there are certain things I can’t be without. Q-Tips… accept no substitutes! Titleist golf balls… same thing. But CVS brand Alka-Seltzer Plus? Fine. Off brand aspirin, fine. KRAFT mac and cheese… just a necessity! Silver Floss sauerkraut! There is no replacement. My point… Mr. Ujest’s fascination with a certain kind of brats may be irrational, but it is still very important. :stuck_out_tongue: Altho… I’d send his ass to the store for them… :smiley:

I’ve got a pound of cheddar made in 1995 ageing quietly in a safe place…

LOL, I have a few very marked food dislikes, okra and eggplant. No matter who I talk to they always say I have never had it prepared correctly…then next time I visit them, they make the damned stuff. I taste it politely as always and tell them thanks, it is still nasty=\ sigh I really wish I wasnt so honest so I could happily lie through my teeth and be allergic to them.

I will tend to remember my friend food foibles, and cater around them … and oddly enough Cadbury Fruit and Nut bars are among mrAru’s favorite snacks so you might have to armwrestle him for them if you visit=) and I eat 5 or 6 small meals throughout the day, so tuck in with me=)

Wow, 1995?? I bet that’ll be amazing…

[slight hijack] How do you age cheddar so it doesn’t go bad? Do you have to buy a whole wheel encased in wax? [/slight hijack]

Mmmmm, cheese…

Shirley Ujest: At least he makes sure you’re aware of his “preferences” on these matters. One of the things about my wife that drove me nuts was that she seemed to prefer to suffer in silence than suggest that she didn’t like something I’d bought. One time I picked up a package of frozen hamburger patties that was on sale. Usually I made hamburgers from scratch, but I wanted to expand my options for quick meals when I had forgotten to take something out of the freezer or didn’t feel like fixing anything that night. When I asked her if she liked them and if I should buy them again, she said sure. So the next time they were on sale I bought two more packages. Then she admitted that she hadn’t really liked them that much, but hadn’t wanted to “make an issue of it” at the time. So now instead of simplifying my future meal preparations I had complicated them, since I was stuck with six pounds of frozen hamburger patties that I would have to eat myself, and still fix something else for her.

Ideally it should be in its original seal, whether wax or plastic. If this is not possible, having it wrapped by bona fide cheese professionals, who wear fresh gloves and use freshly washed knives to slice and wrap it are best.

My most amazing cheese was a 5 lb wheel of cheddar, in it’s original cheesecloth and wax wrap, aged over 11 years before being sacrificed.

Now that was sharp cheddar!

:eek:  :mad:  :eek:

Won’t be the first time these boney elbows have taken on all who dare thwart me from my F 'n Ns…can’t get the good ones here in the States (so sorry, but the US version is to the UK version what wax apples are to the real fruit)… by the time I’m off the plane in Heathrow and knocking aside the little old ladies in the WHSmith’s for my fix, I’m pretty much in the same state as the infected in 28 Days Later.

Sounds splendid! When’s lunches?

:slight_smile:

Hey Shirley: I’ve got two brats in the fridge (Johnsonville I think, but not sure) in a tupperware container that have been there for about a week and a half to two weeks. Are they safe to eat?

Being a mom and a weekly bratwurst eater means you have to know the answer to this question :D.

I do not eat any flesh foods and I cannot eat shellfish. Once a cow-orker who didn’t believe that made a nice vegetarian salad for me. I asked her is there was any flesh in it. “Oh, no.” I took a bite and spit it on my desk. “Why do I taste shellfish in this?” “You cannot taste that little bit of crabmeat I put in it.” Wanna bet?

After saying this I’m sure I’ll get turned back at the border to Wisconsin the next time I show up, but… compared to Johnsonville, I’ve actually bought better brats made in New Jersey. No, seriously. After getting those, my husband doesn’t want me to buy Johnsonville any longer unless there’s no alternative. Don’t recall the name offhand, but I got them at Costco. I should pick up some from Miesfeld’s next time I’m in town, to compare them.