Films with somewhat misleading titles

You know, where the title doesn’t seem to fit the film.

For example, there are no ghosts in “Ghost World”. Very often when I’d recommend it to someone I get a “I don’t like horror films” response.

“Blade Runner” sounds like a film about ice skating… which used to put me off from watching it until I finally did and realized it’s nothing what I thought it would be. I’m still not completely sure where the title comes from.

Name some more! :slight_smile:

Naked Lunch. It’s just not.

Brazil has nothing to do with Brazil.

Pretty Woman
Starring Julia Roberts.

The Neverending Story

“I can think of two things wrong with that title.”

• Nelson

The movie is titled Blade Runner because someone owned the movie rights to both the novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick and a treatment (i.e., not a full-blown screenplay but an extended summary of one) written by William S. Burroughs which was called Blade Runner. This treatment was based on the novel The Bladerunner by Alan E. Nourse. They decided they liked the plot of the first novel and the name of the second one. Hence the movie is based on the first novel and titled like the second one:

Antichrist

Well…it certainly was not a horror movie about a demonic villain. It was…something else. Something…very, very, very…else.

One of my favorite movies is Chungking Express. It sounds like it’s a story set in one of an American chain of bad Chinese restaurants. In fact, it’s a very romantic film set in Hong Kong which has an 8.1 rating on the IMDb and 90% on Rotten Tomatoes. I think a better name for the movie would have been California Dreamin’ for reasons that you’ll realize if you see the film.

While there is a fight club and some fighting in the movie Fight Club, that has so little to do with the plot I think a lot of people ending up missing out on a really great movie based on the “I don’t want to watch a movie about people fighting” misconception.

spoiler for Black Swan

Not really a spoiler, but same idea for Black Swan, I only put it here because a lot of people call Black Swan the female version of Fight Club. I know a lot of guys that won’t watch Black Swan because they don’t want to watch a ballerina movie. Even using the Fight Club analogy won’t sway them. Sometimes I can coax them into it by baiting them with the promise of the Natalie/Mila scenes, but even that often times won’t get them past the ‘chick flick’ stigma.

For those that haven’t seen Black Swan…it’s not a ballerina movie, it’s not a chick flick. If that’s what’s stopping you, get over it and watch it. It’s not more a ballerina movie than Fight Club is a movie about fighting.

I have seen it. But maybe I was drunk, because all I got out of it was ballerinas and the lesbian scene. Mayhaps I’ll give it another shot slightly less drunk…

The World’s Fastest Indian

Happiness

I Love You, Phillip Morris

Watership Down

Quick Change. The name doesn’t hint that it’s a comedy caper flick.

The Emperor of the North Pole is a movie about hobos.

If that’s all you got out of it, yes, you very much missed something.

You must have been really drunk. I understood all of Fight Club the first time I saw it and I was on mushrooms.

Howard’s End. He’s not even in the movie, nor his is demise, or his ass if that’s what they meant.

Reservoir Dogs. No dogs, no reservoir.

Chinatown

They Shoot Horses, Don’t They? has no horses.

Bonfire of the Vanities. No burning bathroom cabinets.

**The Last King of Scotland

Sorceror

Vision Quest**