Final Fantasy 4 DS

Well, for a same-language, same-sound comparison, we do say Pear-riss instead of Pah-ree, so it’s hardly unprecedented.

Break down in laughter at the wrong person, though, and you might be challenged to a fight. Better hope it’s under Marquis of Queensberry rules! :wink:

Oh, I know how Paris is “properly” pronounced. I just like saying Pear-Iss more.

So I’m up to the Land of Summoned Monsters (I saved once I reached the town and it’s been a while since I picked up my DS again), and I beat Asura on my first try without much effort, but then I fight Leviathan and before I can even enter a command, he casts Tidal Wave and kills EVERYBODY in my party. I figure it was a fluke and try again, and yet again the battle is over before it begins. So I go back a third time and figure that casting float will avoid it…no dice.

Man, what am I doing wrong here? I’ve NEVER lost to Leviathan in the other incarnations (although Asura sometimes gave me trouble, even after casting Reflect on her)

More levels. When I went into the fight I did much better on him than Asura (took me two tries…I Misremembered the strategy!). I think I only had one character die to the wave on the first go. Gotta have the life to survive it.

Make sure to have everyone Defend and then slow him.

Making everyone Defend won’t do him much good if Leviathan uses Tidal Wave “before [he] can even enter a command,” as he said.

It might be slightly quicker is he puts Defend as his auto battle commands. I had just enough time for that, before the Deluge. But if he’s not getting time for even one command, then more levels is the only way to go.

Well, finally beat FF4DS tonight. A worthy remake, but a lot slower paced than the 16 bit version - I finished in 25:22 with Cecil at level 72. Still my all time favorite RPG ending ever (I have VERY vague memories of LOVING Final Fantasy 8’s ending too, but it’s been so long and I barely remember the plot of that game at all), except that…

Argh! They fucked with the credit sequence!!! I LOVED the Star Wars-esque flying through space ending in the SNES version, and the character profiling they replaced it with was lame…although I laughed like crazy when Edge ran in on adult Rydia’s curtain call. I also THOUGHT that the new game + would carry over my items and weapons, but all it carried over with the augments…should I even bother replaying it?

I need to find a new DS game to play. Any suggestions? I’m considering the Dragon Warrior 4 remake…the NES version was one of the LONGEST RPG’s I ever played, it was probably at least TWICE as long as FF4…

Go for it! I’m 20 hours into this game, and I don’t think I’m half done yet.

Chrono Trigger DS should be out sometime in November if you can wait that long. :slight_smile:

Man I wish they’d just make a DS sequel to that instead of a re-make. One of my all-time favorite RPGs, but I played it so much that this installment won’t really do much for me… Guess it helps those that missed it the first go, though.

It’s not even a real remake. It’s a PORT. They’re using the same SNES graphics, and just expanding to the touch screen with some cut scenes. I’m really disappointed, as I was expecting a total overhaul of Chrono Trigger, a la FF4 DS…I replayed CT over the summer so it would be rehashing at this point…

For what it’s worth, I enjoyed the job system in FF5 too.

Got this game when I bought my DS about a month ago…didn’t tell me they were selling me crack. Damn, I forgot how much I enjoyed FF until now. Now I hear they are coming out with an updated version of CT? If you guys tell me they got an updated version of Secret of Mana (SNES) I will have to quit my job.