Final Fantasy 4 DS

There’s an easy way to kill him. Toss two elixirs on him after he uses the gas. The moon is a killer, though.

I found this interesting about this incarnation; the status effects actually work. If you go into magus sisters and cast silence on Mindy (the short one, I think) it will take, and no more delta attack! I haven’t experimented too much (in Eblan now) but this seems to hold, somewhat. Slow has yet to fail; some are immune / resistant to the effects, but others aren’t. And I beat Lugae the regular way (that spoilered method just stinks of cheap, to me. I’m oldschool! :smiley:

FF4 was always my favorite FF. It had the best story, though 7 was close, and had actual good dialogue. I liked that all of the characters were totally different and played differently too.

I picked this up a week or so ago and haven’t put it down. Its a great remake and the graphics are a big plus. The dialogue is still good after all these years and the little bits of voice acting are quite well done and don’t sound cheesy (except maybe Cid).

It IS hard, but it’s not TOO hard. One tip for those that haven’t gotten there yet: When you beat the Magus Sisters go back and save your game before going into the next room. Another boss awaits after a LONG cutscene. YOu will have to go through all of it again if you lose the boss battle (which I did like 5 times)

Oh, I also remember this game having more useful weapons and armor in the shops. IT doesn’t anymore anyway.

Final Fantasy 4 never had useful shops, the exception being the one town in the underground, and the Namingway cave where you can actually buy Elixirs. You pretty much never have to worry about $$ in that game.

And here’s some old school cheats from the SNES version:

Cast tornado (known as Weak) on the Dark Dragon and then have anybody hit him once for an easy win

Cast bio (virus) on the evil wall and sit back and watch him rot to death. Or better yet, cast Warp right after getting Rydia back, and you can exploit a bug that has the Sealed Cave’s crystal appear in the Dwarf Castle’s crystal room, triggering the exit scene as soon as you enter the cave, and bypassing it completely.

Cast Reflect (wall) on everybody when fighting Bahamut and watch him nuke himself.

Running out of time while fighting Plague? Just use a heal…he’ll recast Count, but at least you have another 10 turns

In the next room, fighting those asshole zombie bone dragons who guard the Ribbons? Feed them some Life potions for an easy win.

Want to raid Castle Eblan’s stash, but can’t handle the Mad Ogres this early in the game? Break (Stone) them to death.

Want to know how to beat the game in about 5 hours? Run from EVERY random battle, don’t waste your time collecting any treasure or side quests, and use these strategies for fighting those bosses, and get up to the Giant. Go find one of those alert things, and let it summon a mechanical dragon. Tornado/Weak it and hit it for at least 9 damage and then wait for it to summon another one and repeat…keep this up for 20 minutes or so, and then kill the alert, and you’ll have enough experience points to get yourself high enough levels to finish the game easily. Unfortunately Squaresoft was also aware of this strategy, and made the alerts summon Red Giants instead in the GBA version, so this probably won’t work in the DS version either.

Are you serious? The freakin’ Demon Wall was the bane of my existence. <sigh> Good times.

Yip-ho-ho-ho!

If you ever say that again, I swear I will find you and sic my pet Summon on you.

Its Lali-Ho. Remember it or pay the price!

I’m finally on the last leg of the game, about to head into the moon…crystal…palace…thing to tackle the final dungeon. And…

Holy crap on a stick, the CPU knows how to kick your ass. Make sure you’ve leveled enough for the Giant of Babil, because the CPU’s attack node WILL laser your whole party and kill everyone except Cecil, maybe Rosa will live if you’re lucky. She was casting Curaja/Cure every round via doublecast for a while, Cecil was switching between Phoenix Down-ing and attacking the attack node. Rydia would maybe get one spell in before being killed. Edge and Fusoya…forget them, they’re meat patties well-done until the attack node is killed. First boss to give me trouble. Had to do it about four times.

How do I get Doublecast without going through a walkthrough guide? I’ve sanned through them quickly and it seems like to get all those augments you would HAVE to read a guide.

Man, I’m having too much fun. Anyone have any nifty Leviathan tricks?

Also, for fast effective relief vs. random monster encounters, give Cecil “CounterAttack” and “Draw Attack” augments, set Rosa with “Auto-Potion” and her autobattle choice as casting Cura. Sit back and enjoy the xp as you wander around.

You need to have given the twins three augments between the two of them. Basically, give all the semi-permanent members 2 augments and they give you two other ones when they leave.

You mean for fighting him? I gave Doublecast to Rosa, so this was easier for my defensive style of play, but just make sure you’re at a healthy level.
Have Rosa Slow Leviathan, then haste herself and then the others. After that, she should be healing constantly. She can heal in-between buffings.
Cecil should do Shell on everyone then attack, maybe pump out a Cura now and then if needed to play backup to Rosa for a turn.
Edge should be attacking, maybe using Blitz now and then.
Have Rydia cast Bio, then spam Thundaga. Bio will sap his HP in-between turns going on, so damage will build up over time.
Kain should jump for the most part. Keeps him out of harm’s way, though he can use an item or two if he wants. However, my Kain had the Avenger sword equipped, so he was on Berserk status from the get go and meant I didn’t have to worry about him as much, and didn’t have to waste time selecting attack -> Leviathan, making the battle turns go a little faster for me.

Also, if you want to make Rosa’s workload a little easier, don’t be afraid to use a Hermes Shoes or two. It’ll cast Haste on the one using it, so it’ll knock off some pressure from Rosa’s buffing queue.

YMMV. :wink:

So I amazingly beat the Magus Sisters on my second try. I figured out a great new strategy that actually worked amazingly well - cast Silence on the tall sister which stops her from casting Reflect on the fat sister. They’ll still continue the Delta Attack as usual, except without reflect, they’ll nuke her themselves! I need to go back and see if that worked in the SNES version…my strategy there was always having Tellah cast Lit3 against somebody who has reflect…eventually it’ll hit the fat sister and usually do enough damage to kill her, making the other 2 sitting ducks.

However, for the first time in the history of the game, I lost the battle against the wind fiend…the hottie in the gold bikini. New to this game is a counter of Thunder if you physically attack her, but she otherwise leaves you alone as long as her tornado isn’t up, so I won on my second try by having everybody defend and Kain jumping over and over for 10 minutes. That was one LONG cutscene to sit through twice in a row…

I’m now trying to figure out a good strategy for those fucking dolls (and keeping in mind that if I lose against Golbez in the battle right after, or enter it with Cecil not alive, I have to repeat BOTH battles).

I remember having a hard time with the Magus Sisters back on teh SNES but somehow I managed to beat them on my first try this time without much effort. The wind elemental beat my ass like 7 times or something though.

The dolls aren’t too hard if you are a high enough level. I ALWAYS cast slow, first thing in any fight against a group. They barely get off a single attack before I kill them that way.

I tried the doll battle again, and amazingly managed to win it WITHOUT them transforming into the giant doll. So then I get into the Golbez battle, get Kain into the air…but Golbez just stands there and waits for him to land before paralyzing everyone. So now the pressure is really on, and it looks like Golbez learned some tricks from Magus (from Chrono Trigger) with the elemental defense wheel so there was a long drawn out battle with lots of healing and reviving, but I did it and breathed a huge sigh of relief. I’m pretty sure this is the last point in the game where you have to fight 2 bosses without being able to save between them.

Worst pronunciation sin yet. The game calls him “Ruby Con Tea” but it’s “Ruby Can’t” dammit!!! And it’s also friggin annoying how it goes from the ma & pa battle straight into his, when the SNES version let you go back and save between the two. It’s pretty much impossible to lose the first battle, but when I get my ass kicked by Inferno before I can even get Shell up and 3 of my characters are dead, I’m not getting much of a fighting chance, and then I have to sit through at least 5 minutes of what I just saw again…

Was it Flame? I’ll show you how!!!

I’m also glad that they FINALLY fixed the storyline error with Edge being injured after that first battle. In every previous version, Rydia cast Cure on him, which might add to their storyline, but Rydia lost the ability to cast White Magic at that point in the game!!

Well, technically, they’re right. Rubicante is from Dante, so it’s pronounced with the extra ‘eh’ on the end. But since that’s really the only Italian word in the game, it’s a bit jarring.

I finally made it to Zeromus, but I’ve always had difficulty with him. The first time I actually beat him was on the GBA version, and I played the original SNES game dozens of times. I always just saved at the last save point, made a few haphazard grinding attempts and called it finished.

FFIV is one of my favorite games of all time, and I’ve bought every re-release…PS1’s horribly slow emulated “Anthology” version, the GBA reissue…but I just can’t get excited over this because it looks so bad. 3D/Polygon on the DS always looks so terrible, and I think that it just looks completely awful…I really wish that they had done it in an incredibly stylized sprite/pixel way if they were going to remake it.

Does it at least run quickly or are the animations and menus clunky?

Square’s pronunciations have always been pretty terrible…the pronunciation of Marquis in FFXII (they did “mark-kwiss” not “marquee”) was especially offensive.

Only one? All four of the fiends’ names are from Dante.

Or do you mean the only one mentioned in voice acting?

Huh? According to most of the dictionaries listed on dictionary.com,, “mar-kwis” is listed before “marquee,” meaning it’s the more common/accepted pronounciation.

Whooops, you’re right, all four are Italian. I believe though, that only Rubicante was voice acted.

I have no idea where they get their information, but that’s dead wrong. If you actually said “mar-kiss”, I’d pretty much break down in laughter.