Final Season of Foyle's War on Netflix

Netflix calls it Season 9, but IMDB calls it Season 8.

I just got done watching it. Foyle (and Sam) are still working for MI5. This surprises me a little. On one hand, it’s obvious that Foyle wants to serve his country wherever he is need; on the other, he seems too straightforward and open to survive for long in a place where spies work. He certainly knows that some things are being kept from him. (Side-note: this season sees him once again resigning due to circumstances; naturally, he is soon back.)

This season does an excellent job of capturing the post-war mood of Britain–shortages of goods; people wondering if it was all worth it; etc.

We see a different side of Hilda Pierce in the last episode, which ends on a bittersweet note.

I bought this on DVD a little while ago. The ending with Hilda astonished me.

On the lighter side, the guy playing Mr. Valentine has emerged as an interesting character over these last two Foyle series–I didn’t think I would like him at first. And he looks smashing in a pinstripe suit.

Have to admit, I gave up on Foyle’s War after the second season or so. Is the quality level the same? Does Michael Kitchen just seem to be phoning it in?

It’s been quite a while since I’ve seen the first few seasons. Having said that, I don’t think that the quality of the last ones is any worse than the first ones.

As my step-mother would say, you really missed the boat when you decided to quit. Totally apart from the stories themselves (which are always gripping), Mr. Foyle is one of the best men I have ever met, fictional or no. Why anybody would voluntarily give up the pleasure of his company is beyond me.

Much as I enjoy both British history and detective fiction, I’m afraid it just didn’t hold my interest.

Did you see Kitchen in the dark political satire To Play the King with Ian Richardson? Very different role, but he does quite well.

I think it’s different. Still liked all the actors (The Sam Stewart character!), but in the early episodes, Foyle was sometimes up against corruption / crime. As it went on, Foyle was more likely to be the good guy up against the good guys. I found that tiresome.