Finally! It's My Turn for the Mid-Life Crisis!

See, my husband got to have his early. In an effort to stave off boredom, stagnation, and the embarrassment of finding himself one morning in possession of a nineteen-year-old blonde and a red Triumph, neither of which he can afford, we swapped his old career as a web god for a new one as a helicopter pilot about 10 years ago. We have finally tamed the debt incurred by said career change and he has achieved a sufficient salary level that I can now afford a career change of my own.

This morning I decided to dump 20 years of accounting experience and become a barrista. Sure, it will take some time to get used to the rather drastic drop in pay, but in return, I can work at the coffeehouse I hang out in for a great guy I’ve known for years, drink serious coffee instead of the brown watery crap offices provide, wear an apron instead of a wool jacket, and never have to spend more than 5 minutes in the company of another accountant for the rest of my life. Ah, bliss.

I expect the panic to set in soon, especially after I burn all my bridges on Monday, but I’ve prepared for that by creating budget spreadsheets showing that we will be okay financially for my husband to fan me with when I start feeling faint. And yes, he is beyond supportive. He’s had to live with me the last couple years as the office jobs became increasingly intolerable.

In a few months, I’ll probably go back to school to take all those financially useless classes I’ve always wanted to. So far, I feel pretty damn good. I didn’t really think I’d get off the habitrail before I died, but one more year of accounting, a job I’ve never liked but can do in my sleep, and I would have needed medication to get through the day. I expect the money I’ll save on alcohol consumption will cover a lot of the pay decrease.

Anyway, this is pretty mundane and pointless for everyone else, but a really huge thing for me. Thanks for listening.

Good luck with the new job! Look at it this way, you can have both coffee *and *Cake. Or… er… have your Cake and eat it too. :wink:

GOOD FOR YOU!!!
Your mental well-being is the most important thing after finding love in my book. Best Wishes! I hope that everything goes well for you.

Congratulations and *WOOHOO!! * How exciting for both of you!

I have stayed in my career path for the $$$ and the security, but I can retire in 3 years and I’m starting to consider my options. You can be my inspiration! :smiley:

Congratulations! Stepping off that habitrail can indeed be scary, but making the big switch is well worth it. I made a slightly less massive switch from working for other people to working at home for myself, and I’m here to tell you that I have literally never for one single moment regretted making the change.

And an endless supply of good coffee is well worth it! :smiley:

I recently changed careers with a huge pay cut and (except for the huge pay cut) I have absolutely no regrets.

Congratulations! I hope you really enjoy your new job!

Go Mrs. Cake! Being happy in a job is worth lots and lots.

GT

Thanks for the support everyone.

I’m gleefully anticipating the reactions from people at work on Monday. I really despise my soon to be ex-boss. She’s one of those women who has reached her position by kissing the right asses and so is terrified of her underlings, most of whom are more suited to her position than is she. She tries to hide her ignorance by acting as if the person speaking to her cannot communicate. And by god, can she shift blame. She’s just the final straw for me. I was working around to exiting accounting before I started the current temp job, but people like her, her boss, and especially the cowed and frightened staff accountants who work for them made it an easy decision.

Like Eve , I expect no regrets at all. I only wish I could start Monday instead of giving the obligatory one week notice.

A large non-fat latte, please.

Congrats, enjoy.

What’s a barrista?
Not to rain on your parade, but this

set off some warning bells for me. I might be overreacting, but what’s your relationship with this guy?

Good Luck to you Mrs. Cake!!! I have been lucky enough to find a job that I love enough to have stayed in the field for well, my entire adult life. I’d gladly do what I do even if they paid me less (don’t tell my boss!). I don’t make tons of money, but I cover my bills with little stress. And I don’t ever dread going to work. I wish the same for you!

I like my coffee how I like my men… hot, sweet and rich. :wink:

I don’t want to ruin your mood, but let’s be realistic. The boss and co-workers at the coffee shop I once worked in were as bad as you just described your (ex-)office workers.
Will they force you to work the night shift, or come to work on your day off (with 15 minutes notice) because some 18 yr old kid didnt show up? And then shift the blame to you for clogging up the espresso machine when you didn’t do it.

ivylass , a barrista is the person making the coffee drinks & running the espresso machine, And Bob is a great guy my husband and I have known casually for years. Even if he wasn’t far too young and gay for me, I’d consider him a brotherly type.

chappachula , I wouldn’t want to work with Bob if I hadn’t observed the way he manages his store for quite some time. His people are always happy and a number of them have worked for him for several years. I know a couple of them and they confirm my opinion that he’s a great manager. After years in the big bad world o’ business, I’ve worked for the good, the bad, and the downright ugly. My instincts are pretty sharp these days. I had my current boss pegged before the end of my interview, which is why I told the recruiter that I’d only that this as a temp job. She fully confirmed my suspicions before the first week was out.

And if things don’t work out, I just take the new additional experience and go somewhere else. At this place and time, I’m highly employable and financially able to take a job I want rather than the one that pays best. Since I don’t know how long this situation will last, I’d better make the most of it.

How incredibly savvy of you to do this! I pronounce you a free woman!

Find a job you love and you’ll never work again…

???HUH??? This is just so out of left field. The OP didn’t even set off a tinkle, let alone a warning bell. You know, sometimes it’s best to keep our (less than polite) thoughts and questions to ourselves.
Mrs. Cake, many congratulations to you and hopes for your happiness. What a great place to be in life.

Hey, your soon-to-be-ex-boss is related to mine! Friday is my last day here, I’m moving to Switzerland, land of chocolate goodness (I guess I’ll update the location then… I’m now in Spain).

Congratulations :slight_smile: